Quantcast

888 ata wc settings

Henkka.k

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
Just bought 2008 888 ata wc. I find it a bit hard to find perfect settings for myself. In the fork the compression can be tuned by the one compression knob which affects to hi and low speed compression. It works nicely. However if I change the air pressure it seem to have similar effect. So I don't really understand what is the meaning of air pressure? The fork works ok even if I have no pressure at all, I just need to put a bit more compression. So I have two different ways to set compression?

Anyone else having the same fork, could you tell what kind of settings you are using and what is your weight? How much pressure, how many clicks you have turned the knobs...

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
Just bought 2008 888 ata wc. I find it a bit hard to find perfect settings for myself. In the fork the compression can be tuned by the one compression knob which affects to hi and low speed compression. It works nicely. However if I change the air pressure it seem to have similar effect. So I don't really understand what is the meaning of air pressure? The fork works ok even if I have no pressure at all, I just need to put a bit more compression. So I have two different ways to set compression?

Anyone else having the same fork, could you tell what kind of settings you are using and what is your weight? How much pressure, how many clicks you have turned the knobs...
i have one and run 150 in the top chamber. barely any in the bottom. im am going to be taking the par chamber out as im not getting all the travel out of it. coming up about an inch to inch and a half shy of 8 inches. compression is on just a couple clicks dont need it too much.

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
i have one and run 150 in the top chamber. barely any in the bottom. im am going to be taking the par chamber out as im not getting all the travel out of it. coming up about an inch to inch and a half shy of 8 inches. compression is on just a couple clicks dont need it too much.

Bitch you on Jenkem? I'm the one gonna take your PAR out. Replace it with a birdie, but not a bogey. Trade the oil in the right side with 5 wt, or less so you can get the rebound fast enough. And 5 drops of split pea soup too. For flavah.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
so now im gonna be the one asking for setup tips. planning on getting the ata wc very soon and some help from a person that acctually knows what there talking about would be nice.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
Bitch you on Jenkem? I'm the one gonna take your PAR out. Replace it with a birdie, but not a bogey. Trade the oil in the right side with 5 wt, or less so you can get the rebound fast enough. And 5 drops of split pea soup too. For flavah.
:imstupid:you are right. you will be doing it with me handing you tools. rebound isnt fast enough????? i thought it was. i needs ta feel yo fork then. mmmm pea soup. go team jenkem!!!!

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
It's all about the fast forks, hell, fast rebound all around. But if nothing else, it puts your rebound adjustment range a little bit closer. Changing that oil is real easy too. Plus you can try my homemade butthash when you come up. Get a job here. Or be "the other" Ned forever.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
It's all about the fast forks, hell, fast rebound all around. But if nothing else, it puts your rebound adjustment range a little bit closer. Changing that oil is real easy too. Plus you can try my homemade butthash when you come up. Get a job here. Or be "the other" Ned forever.
haha ill still be the other ned where ever i am. but right now im ned and hes the other ned.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Question for you guys on the PAR chamber... Would running 0 psi in the par give the same effect as removing it? The whole not getting full travel issue is the only thing making me consider the regular RC3 over the ATA WC. The wind down seems like a non issue but I'm not much of the tinkering type to be taking parts out of the fork and what not.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
yeah. wind down isnt a problem with the wc. and running 0psi doesnt fix the travel problem. there is a thread about removing the par chamber and you are removing a tether in order to allow the fork that full travel.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Most people are just running to much pressure in these forks.

I'm close to 200lbs geared up. I run 65psi in the main chamber and 95psi in the PAR. 3-5 clicks of compression, depending on the ride I want. I have completely bottomed out the fork many times and on normal DH run I can usually get all but the last 3/8" of travel. The last 3/8" will normally only bottom out on severe high speed hits.

You can fix the ATA by using Renegades detent spring fix. I did it and ATA works perfect now.

Until it is setup right and broken in well, this fork feels like crap in the "parking lot" test. Get a few rides on it and judge it at speed. Seriously, this is the most misunderstood fork out there, in a large part due to Marzocchi's screwed up recommended settings. The people who take the time to break it in and get it set up right, generally love 'em.

I have a full season on my 07 and I'm gonna run it again next season. IMO this fork ROCKS :thumb:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
You can fix the ATA by using Renegades detent spring fix. I did it and ATA works perfect now.

Until it is setup right and broken in well, this fork feels like crap in the "parking lot" test. Get a few rides on it and judge it at speed. Seriously, this is the most misunderstood fork out there, in a large part due to Marzocchi's screwed up recommended settings. The people who take the time to break it in and get it set up right, generally love 'em.

I have a full season on my 07 and I'm gonna run it again next season. IMO this fork ROCKS :thumb:
How does the adjustable travel feature work on yours..........can you change the travel simply by turning a knob........?.......i have heard differing stories on this.....

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
How does the adjustable travel feature work on yours..........can you change the travel simply by turning a knob........?.......i have heard differing stories on this.....
Mine originally moved on its own. I basically did the lockout, were you tighten the grub screws and fix the shaft from turning. The down side being your ATA no longer works. But I didn't really need it anyway, since its' on my Downhill race bike.

However, Renegade came up with a fix for the 66 ata using longer stiffer springs and it works for the 888. I did it and now my ATA works perfect. Easy to adjust and so far hasn't moved.

I have some extra springs if you have one and want to fix it.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hey old sckool is it a pretty complicated job to replace those springs, or can an inexperianced suspension guy ,like myself, and a shop mechanic do it with no problems. ohh and where did you pick up those springs??? thanks for the help man.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
hey old sckool is it a pretty complicated job to replace those springs, or can an inexperianced suspension guy ,like myself, and a shop mechanic do it with no problems. ohh and where did you pick up those springs??? thanks for the help man.
Pretty easy. Toughest part is to make sure you don't accidentally drop the little ball bearings. If you do, you'll probably never find them. :poster_oops:

Here's the link to the repair on MTBR.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=339566

Renegade goes into great detail so it sounds a little more complicated then it really is. You can bypass some of his steps if you're careful and do the whole thing in less then 5 minutes. If you want to be fail safe, follow his directions exactly.

Unless you are a total ham fist, its an easy job.

BTW. The instructions also have the link to where you get the springs.:thumb:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Just wanted to interject.

I'm assuming that the person asking the question is asking about the new 08 model 888 ATA WC, not the 07 888 ATA? Just was curious if that is what everyone else here is talking about since I'm suspicious you are all talking about the 07 model.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Just wanted to interject.

I'm assuming that the person asking the question is asking about the new 08 model 888 ATA WC, not the 07 888 ATA? Just was curious if that is what everyone else here is talking about since I'm suspicious you are all talking about the 07 model.
HaHa!! Yeah, good point. I think the thread kind merged into a combo thread. Most the advice is in regards to the 07. But I have heard of at least one report of an 08 winding down by itself. Guess time will tell if Marzocchi has the problem solved. Not sure about the bottom out issue with the 08.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
thanks old skool that will be a big help if i ever need to do the repair.

ohh and inclag im asking about the 08, and im just trying to get this stuff figured out in case the fork does end up winding down.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
I have yet another dumb question about setting this fork up... I know there is compression, spring pressure and par pressure.. but does it have a rebound adjustment as well? I haven't heard anyone mention rebound. If there isn't then what controls it? Just curious.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
it has the same rebound adjustment like the 2007 ata
I don't have an 07 either... I'm ordering an 08 really soon and am just curious. I'm coming off an 888RC. I was more or less asking out of curiousity. I'm guessing it has a rebound comression adjustment knob like every other fork but I haven't heard anyone mention their rebound setting and I'm very new to the air fork thing. Is it a knob like every other fork or is it controlled by pressure?

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Cool, thanks man. It was just bothering me and IO figured you guys would know since you have them. Hopefully I scrape together the coin to pick mine up really soon.

Henkka.k

Chimp
Nov 13, 2007
Most people are just running to much pressure in these forks. I'm close to 200lbs geared up. I run 65psi in the main chamber and 95psi in the PAR. 3-5 clicks of compression, depending on the ride I want.

Thanks, this post helped a lot. I had way too much pressure in my fork.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Thanks, this post helped a lot. I had way too much pressure in my fork.
I agree. Seeemed before this thread I noticed a lot of people were running a fairly high pressure in the main chamber and almost nothing in the PAR. This thread suggests otherwise. Maybe the extremely high pressure people were running were the reason they couldn't get that last inch and a half of travel. not sure but its a thought.

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
well last weekend caseyo and i took the par chamber and all that extra oil out of my 08 wc 888. and god does it feel WAY smoother than any fork i have ever felt. i tried running lower pressures on the fork like some people posted about. did not help a bit. with the par out and 150 psi in there (i weigh about 210) this thing is sick. uses all the travel and now there is a reason to even use the compression knob!! wish it just came that way.

azrider44

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
I have a 2008 ata wc , if I go over 75psi it feels like a rigid fork, is this the way they are supposed to feel, or is mine ****ed up.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
ssorry for the stupid question, but i just picked up a 2008 wc ata and how do i adjust air pressure? i see the schreader valve for the par, but not the main air chamber..... oh, and mine didnt come w/ a manual, and the one on zokis web site just what to adjust it to, not how....

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
ssorry for the stupid question, but i just picked up a 2008 wc ata and how do i adjust air pressure? i see the schreader valve for the par, but not the main air chamber..... oh, and mine didnt come w/ a manual, and the one on zokis web site just what to adjust it to, not how....
The ATA cap just pulls straight off. It's a tight fit, but with a good grip and a clean pull, it will come off and reveal the main chamber schraeder valve underneath it.

--JP

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Pull straight up on the ATA adjuster. The schraeder valve for the main air chamber is under it.

Ninja John P got me.

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
haha yeah, just found it after pulling in everything for like 20 min. man, you'd think marz would make it a little more obvious. def rides better now that i can adjust main chamber air pressure

FoesDWLink

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
South Side LA
Has anyone put their 2008 888 ATA's on the scales yet? Just curious as the official website claims a different weight to the shops.

Marzocchi site: 3.150 gr/6.94 lbs

Shop site: 2.910 gr/6.4 lbs

who's telling lies?

chur