Quantcast

888 or shiver

ehermanson

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Vancouver, WA
I have 03 banshee scream which I am currently running 02 boxxer on right now but I am planning to get a new fork soon but I can’t decide between the 888 or shiver. I weight about 160 pounds I like to do bigger drops and jumps and I don’t see my self racing in the near future. I do like to do trail riding but I want something that can do bigger drops and jumps but also have high speed bump sensitive like my boxxer for trail rides.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
... I've ridden both forks, and they are VERY smooth.

It depends on where you plan to do most of your riding -

If you are going to spend a majority of your time doing drops, I'd go with the Shiver - it's super smooth and as close to a full-blown MX fork as you can get, so it also weighs a ton... but, (and I wouldn't suggest trying this) you can mow down boulders up to 1 ft. tall at full speed without having to pull up on the bars to get the front wheel over... it just soaks it up.

If you are going to do lots of trail riding PLUS drops and the like, then I'd go with the 888. The adjustments for Compression and Rebound are 10 times better than the ones on a Boxxer (ridden that fork too - 1 year DH). When you tweak the dials (even in small increments) the adjustment is felt immediately. On my new 888RC I run the Compression wide open with ? clicks of Rebound (I'll have to check :D ) Plus it's lighter than the Shiver.

Also the Shiver has become a limited run fork for 05' - meaning at this point in the season, they are probably all out...

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
yep, shiver's are all gone. i really wanted a shiver myself, but marz. had sold out.

the 888 is a sick fork man. i'd get it if i were you just for the compression damping. you can dial the suspension in for whatever you're riding on/jumping off of at the time

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It's a Marzocchi; they're all good. Although, the newer the better. So many people are getting 888s and Fox 40s, I bet you could pick up an '03 or '04 for pretty cheap. One of my friends bought one for $200...

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
ive got an 05 shiver, and its ****ing rad. its so much plusher than any fork ive ever ridden and it jsut mows through everything.

shivers arent heavier than 888's. there about 3.6 kilos. and arent 888's about that?

GO SHIVERS:D need more sexy shivers around. UNLESS you live in australia, i want the only pair:)

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
I ride an 05' Scream with 01' Shivers, they have the flat crowns and an integrated stem... I really like the head angle, and I like the fork better every time I ride it... once you get it tuned you can really feel the difference between a conventional and USD (upside down) fork. Yes it's heavy, so what... it's like a shield you just point it at the obstacle and you don't have to worry about it. Also the fork fits really well and you get a almost 90 degree turning radius either way, key for styles.

Shiver is only i little heavier than the dorado too as it appears.

3570 g vs 3859 g

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
ehermanson said:
At this point I am looking for a used fork. What model years should I look to buy and watch out for.
oh. then i change my mind. i think that you should get the shiver! they're pretty much unchanged since the beginning, so you could pick up a 2003 for pretty cheap. I've always loved shivers. I'm still disappointed that i couldn't get one (warranty from marzocchi = new fork for cheap), but my 888 should be coming in today... :)

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I just swapped an 02 Shiver WCDH(190) for an 05 888rc. I had been missing the Shiver until the 888 got dialed. Lighter, more responsive, and more adjustable. The Shiver was really forgiving and burly; held its own at high speed abuse. For the mixed riding it sounds like your into, go w/ 888. If you do get an older Shiver, MZ can rebuild it cheap. (My roomate picked mine up and had new springs and a rebuild for $85)