Quantcast

888 rc3 basic setup help

tompug

Chimp
Jul 31, 2010
First off apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I have searched but couldn't find anything definitive. Marzocchi is a joke compared to others in regard to there technical literature.

Can someone give me a basic explaination of the 08 888 rc3 knobs.
The mech preload on the top right leg I understand. It's the left leg (rc3 leg) thats confusing, on top there is a red knob with a smaller black knob ontop with an 'R' on it (reboud I presume).
What is the top left red knob for? The compression is on the bottom left leg.

confused :confused:

cheers Tom

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
If I'm not mistaken (which I easily could be) the rc3 is not an air fork. First thing I would do, is turn all the adjustments counter clockwise (back them all out), you should always do this when tuning any piece of suspension. First, adjust the preload, since it's an 8" travel fork, you want approx 2.4" of preload, good way to measure this is wrap a piece of string/zip-tie around the stanchion tube (put it at the bottom by the dust seal) then stand on the bike on a flat or slightly downhill surface, what you're looking to measure is how much sag there is in the fork, again, you want about 2.4" of sag (string should move up the stanchion by that much). If it goes further then that, add a click of preload (repeat this process, one click at a time). Then for rebound the typical rule of thumb is to make it as fast as you can stand it, so next time you're out riding, do the same run 2-3 times in a row and add (turn clockwise) rebound one click at a time until you feel like the fork is reacting properly, you'll probably need somewhere between 3-6 clicks if I had to guess. Compression is the last thing you'll adjust, I'd suggest running it either completely wide open (all the way turned counter clockwise) or maybe adding 1-2 clicks. Now for that mystery knob, if I'm correct (which I might not be) that is also a compression adjustment (not sure if it's high speed or low speed) but I would add maybe 1-2 clicks of this...hope this helped