Quantcast

888 vf

IHardtail

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
Hey guys, if my fork has just the dust seals a bit worn, if I put something to cover the stanchions so no dirt gets in there, I should be fine right?

Thanks

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
depends.
how much dirt you plannin on going through?
what exactly are you putting over it?
how worn out are we talking about?

hitting some mud with a rag over the stanchions probably wont do it.

IHardtail

Chimp
Dec 8, 2007
No Ill probably get one of those Lizard Skins for stanchions and I wont be going through mud more like dirt from the trail that comes up from the front wheel.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
The seals on most forks are not only dust seals but also stop moisture getting in and even more importantly help control bearing-bush lubrication. Generally speaking the top seals are cheap and relatively easy to replace. I say generally a never serviced a 888. Try get a service manual for them and have a look. Your probably best just to put new seals on.

dowst

Chimp
May 9, 2008
Dirt and grime tends to get inside those lizard skin stanchion protectors and end up doing more harm than good. If your dust seal/wipers are worn out then chances are you also need an oil change. Servicing a 888 is super easy and can be done in 45min.

Just order the seal kit from Marzocchi's website and go down to the moto shop to pick up some 7wt fork oil (make sure it contains no seal swellers). Pull the lowers and remove the seals, install and seat the new seals, re-assemble and then fill up back up with the appropriate amount of oil. It's not rocket science and I'm sure you'll be surprised with how much better the fork performs after you do it.