Quantcast

888 X cartridge.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Cleaning and oil changing the 07 888RC2x, I discovered my X cartridge is done, broken/unthreaded from the damper head in the cartridge, which is somehow wedged sideways.

too late to call MZ, so dropping a note on the forums; anyone ever replace one of these? Any idea on cost?

I would like to start the Season out on my 888, but that looks unlikely. Likely 2 months until the soonest an Avy 888 cart is available as an alternative.

Any ideas?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Just a data point for you, not the exact cartridge but hopefully gives you an idea on price.

My old 2006 Z1 Light needed a new cart last year. $180, although it was only a 150mm RC2 cart.

Last edited:

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
RC3 will not fit the 2007 chassis.
I had this exact problem on a RC2 cart in my 66.
My LBS repaired the cart by welding some metal to the cart body, which kept the seal head in place instead of the c-clip. The fork held to a lot of abuse afterwards, so I'm quite confident about recommending this solution to others.
Can't find the pic of the repaired cart anymore, but I guess your LBS will figure it out.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Get rid of the fork, find a cheap boxxer or 40. They ride better, anyway.
If the other side does that, your lowers come off. I would not weld anything together in a marzocchi. That problem is way too common, and there isn't enough knowledge about this issue, and I broke my back as a result of the same fork coming apart on me.
Get a new fork!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Get rid of the fork, find a cheap boxxer or 40. They ride better, anyway.
If the other side does that, your lowers come off. I would not weld anything together in a marzocchi. That problem is way too common, and there isn't enough knowledge about this issue, and I broke my back as a result of the same fork coming apart on me.
Get a new fork!
It broke after 3+ years of hard riding under my #260 butt, and likely broken due to my own mistake.

10/11 Boxxer maybe, 40 hell no. Avalanche cart for the win.

Looks like Ill be starting the season on my 66RC2x; its a little lower (yes, 888 slammed with flat crowns is still >30mm greater A/C) but groovy.

In the meantime marshallolson may have rescued me! THX!

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
sure man no problem. just let me know if that would help.

tempted to keep mine and do the avy thing, but i have a '10 40, so happy to style you out.
Strongly considering it, then possibly have any AVY 888 and a 'reg' to sell or keep as spare!

Avy kit not ready until June'ish tho. :rant: :weee:

I AM ENTITLED TO WHAT I WANT NOW!!! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

So American of me!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So I spoke to Marzocchi, and the carts are no longer stocked/available.

I was offered a 2010 RC3 EVO for 650, or an EVO TI for 1050.

Alternative is keep my 2007 and get the Avy cart when its ready, likely pickuping up a spare 888 RC2x for a good price from a fellow rider. This way I would have 2 forks, albeit used forks, and could always sell or keep the spare. (It is nice that I have a 66 laying around that I meant to sell,but would have been up the creek if I had!!)

If thats not too ADD for you, what do you think?