Quantcast

888rc 2004 vs. 888rc2x vs. Boxxer 2004

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Someone is offering me a swap for his 888 forks. I have 178mm Boxxer WC 2004 on mine now. I rode my Boxxers a few times and I liked it better than I did before but still not perfect. Maybe the seals have to break in but maybe not...
As Intense have told me a 200mm fork would better balance my bike I started to think about getting rid of the Boxxers and getting an 888.

How many difference is there between the 888rc and the 888rc2x and do you think its worth swapping? I dont want to freeride my M3, I want to use it for DH racing (duh:oink:) but a bit of a more maintenance-free fork would be nice.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say get a new Boxxer Team and be done with it. The 888 will be super tall in the front, a feeling I hate. Boxxers are nice and low and the 2006 models are sick.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
I say get a new Boxxer Team and be done with it. The 888 will be super tall in the front, a feeling I hate. Boxxers are nice and low and the 2006 models are sick.
Mark, you're a broken record stuck on Boxxers. Seriously, an 888 with flat crowns is not that tall!

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Zark said:
Mark, you're a broken record stuck on Boxxers. Seriously, an 888 with flat crowns is not that tall!
I wont be able to fit a flat crown because the M3 has a long headtube and next to that mine is a large, which makes the headtube even longer.
I think its about 5.3" or so.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
DukeNukem3d said:
I wont be able to fit a flat crown because the M3 has a long headtube and next to that mine is a large, which makes the headtube even longer.
I think its about 5.3" or so.
My M1 has a tall headtube. I have an '05 88rc with a drop top crown and a flat lower crown. The flat lower crown makes the ride height lower while the drop crown allows for the tall headtube. But my bike/fork doesn't have clearance issues (is the clearance issue the lower crown coming into contact with the downtube?)

If you were to do an 888 it sounds like the 170mm version would keep your ride height reasonable, but you loose an inch o' travel... hmmm.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Zark said:
If you were to do an 888 it sounds like the 170mm version would keep your ride height reasonable, but you loose an inch o' travel... hmmm.
Looks like this broken record may have the answer. ;) But seriously, maybe I should give a disclaimer stating I weigh as much as a small mammal before I give fork recommendations.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Yeah, thats a dilemma because Intense told me the bike would be better off with a 200mm (8") fork. Since I cant mount a flat crown it will be pretty high up front then...

If I check this first picture I really dont want to do it...
But the second one seems better.

And here is one with 200mm Boxxer:

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Ah I see, so I would need the new 2006 lower crown and the older 2004/2005 upper crown.

The guy that wants to swap says its a RC 2004 model but according to Marzocchi those dont exist! Also, the 2004 model seem to have a problem with cracking lower crowns, did all of them had that?

These are his crowns; http://photo.pinkbike.com/photo/797/pbpic797825.jpg

Thanks!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Some had problems. I say go for it. If his hasnt cracked yet you should be ok. The 04 was called a RR, if I remember right.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
From what I understood about the cracking lowers, it was only an issue on the first batch, that had flat polished black lowers. According to sources, the second batch of 04 888's had more of a matte black finish, and these were the trouble free ones.

However all this could be the biggest load of crap ever. Its just what I heard.

The 888Rc2x is an awesome fork. Very active, and very tunable. Feels less sticky, compared to the 04.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Have ridden it some time now and the Boxxer mounted on my M3 on the upper picture feels a bit too low. My bike is feeling like its diving sometimes. Axle crown it is about 550mm I think.

I got a recommended axle-crown distance from Intense for the M3:
562.5mm (approx. 22,15"). Also they say I should mount an 8" fork on my bike instead of a 7" one like I have now.

Do you think I can deviate from that recommendation with a a/c distance difference which is 1.25 cm? And what about using a 7" instead of an 8" travel fork?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
on my m1 im rocking an 04 888 dropped to 7". feels pretty damn good to me and its at a good height since it has the regular crowns. although i do plan to replace it with a boxxer this season.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I *hate* to be the guy who picks choice D when given A, B or C, but...

crap, I say Boxxer Team. right now you really can't go wrong with any of the forks on the market, whether you go new boxxer, 888, travis or 40. Out of the forks you mentioned I'd say 888rc2x, although i think you will need a drop crown for it.