Quantcast

888RC to 888RC2X.... Yay ? Nay ?

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Well, here's the question. I currently have a 888RC, and it's doing it's job fine, cept for the excessive diving I get when braking. It's like I don't have any compression damping sometimes... anyways, I've had my eye on a 888RC2X ever since first heard of it. The flat crowns, and new adjustments are big factors for me. So, if I can swing it, would you recommend I keep the 888RC and just get me some stiffer springs (which I'm pretty sure will help), or should I treat myself to the RC2X ?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I run an 888RC, and after a few runs on my friends RC2X there is a noticeable difference. The highspeed compression on the old 888 is almost useless because it's only effective in the last 2-3" of the travel - so it's essentially also position sensitive (in a bad way).

I doubt that is any different on the RC2X's HSC side, but the LSC adjuster seems to adjust overall compression damping very well - and there is a LOT of range in it. You can set it up so it is very stiff in the early part of the stroke, to get the cornering feel (and dive resistance) of a boxxer without loosing much in the way of smoothness, or fairly loose like the original 888's - and anywhere in between too.

I noticed the LSC also affects compression on higher speed/larger hits, it won't blow through the travel as easily, so you don't get that hard hit feeling that the old fork used to (when you reached the HSC damping area late in the stroke). So maybe not entirely speed sensitive, but either way it works a charm.

I have heard complaints of too much spring rattle/noise from two guys here, but I haven't noticed it personally really. Other than that and the small amount of weight over the 40/boxxer, I think it's a fairly nice fork - and probably worth the switch if you have the cash. But I would consider the other options too, unless you are dead set on marzocchi.

Hope that helps,
Udi

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
Well, due to brake issues, I can't run the Fox 40 unless I get a 10" rotor, which is out of the question. The boxxer on the other hand could be an option, but I'm still hesitant there because I'm more into freeriding than downhill.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Haha, I won't even ask why.
For those that don't know, the Sys18 is an ISTD 200mm direct mount caliper (6pot).

I'd say the boxxer will be out too, as it uses a different mount to regular ISTD.

The 888 will be fine, it's a pretty nice fork in my book, the only thing it loses to the fox/boxxer is weight. If it's for freeriding it'll probably even be the ideal option.

O/T -
how do you find the sys18 in action? I have a sys17 calliper sitting on my desk that I haven't tried, my thoughts are - too heavy, too many pads, and damn it's huge! haha. Also got a feeling it would bleed up very spongily. Back in my grimeca days my favourite was the sys12 - like an xt4pot except hugely oversized pistsons = bags of power but still fairly solid grabby lever feel.

Mar 1, 2004
Montreal Area
I actualy really like the feel of the system 18 (which runs like a system 17 since both hoses are on the front caliper). Anyways, it offers a ton of modulation. Feeling is only a bit spongier than the system 12 (which I have in the back). Personaly, weight isn't much of a concern for me. But due to it's slightly..... not-so-subtle design, it would sometimes catch the spokes as my wheel would flex. So, I had to file down about 1/16" of an inch off my spacers to get rid of that problem. (but I had it long enough that the vibrations actualy caused serious damage to the threads, so I had the threads retapped a bit larger. So it's now imperial bolts I use... something like 5/16 I think... lol
So yeah, large caliper, tons of power, parts are hard to get by, great feel... I love it... Took off my Hayes Mags to put those on.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
As far as the spring rattle is concerned, typically from what I've found was that the preload adjustment in the upper positions in both stanchions will cause the rattle.

it was recommended to place the c-clip in the middle which is recommended for a lot of reasons, but a main one was to stop the rattle. As long as the fork is sprung properly, the middle position should work fine unless you want more preload.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
is it possible to overhaul the RC with one of the new cartridges from the RC2X? i have no idea what the fork looks like inside, just curious...