Quantcast

8sp / 9 sp front der

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
hello monkeys

question time

got a new frame for my wife on the way (santa cruz) julliana superlight... anyway, we have all of her 8 speed components which are XTR... so i need to pick up a new front der for the bike (31.8 top swing top pull)... kinda wanna keep the full XTR thing goin since we already have everything except the front der, but i ve been having trouble tracking down a 8 speed front mech... will the current shimano m952 9 speed compatible der do the job ? how well ?

any recommendations

thanks
partsbara

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by partsbara
kinda wanna keep the full XTR thing goin since we already have everything except the front der, but i ve been having trouble tracking down a 8 speed front mech... will the current shimano m952 9 speed compatible der do the job ? how well ?

any recommendations
I don't know if the M952 will work on 8-speed or not. The cage on a 9-speed der. is a little more narrow, but I don't know how that would affect 8-speed shifting.

I did see an M950 XTR der for $75 at the bottom of the page at: http://www.bikeworld.com/xtr.htm

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by partsbara
hello monkeys

question time

got a new frame for my wife on the way (santa cruz) julliana superlight... anyway, we have all of her 8 speed components which are XTR... so i need to pick up a new front der for the bike (31.8 top swing top pull)... kinda wanna keep the full XTR thing goin since we already have everything except the front der, but i ve been having trouble tracking down a 8 speed front mech... will the current shimano m952 9 speed compatible der do the job ? how well ?

any recommendations

thanks
partsbara
It should work fine