Quantcast

9 PICTURES: New Double at the trails

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Whats up guys. We finally worked on the trail today and built the transition to a double we started last week. Its a nice jump, you just kind of float over it. Its on more of a DH trail, rather than a dirt jump area, so its not a real steep lippy jump, its just one to hit with speed, this is the second double on the trail. Its a really sweet trail. Here are some pictures. I havent posted any in awhile, but I have been shooting a bit. Check out the new issues of 26 and Dirt Rag for some of my stuff published. Enjoy these!

First, James touches up the tranny.

Hikes back up...

And rides back down to hit it.

Nice weather, fun trails.

grass....

My turn to do some jumpin, James is gettin good with the camera.

And I got these today from TwentySix magazine for being letter of the month with one of my pictures, Sweet!

All right, tell me what you think!

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by slowSSer
thanks for the photos- the "grass" pic is now the new wallpaper- nicely framed, great lighting.
You're welcome, PM or email me if you want a full res pic. I like the "warm" look of the light too. It was also me setting the white balance a bit red to get that. Came out really nice I think.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude have I mentioned you guys make me laugh?

Nice pics man!

Funny there isn't any poo on his face!

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by T-Pirate
You're welcome, PM or email me if you want a full res pic. I like the "warm" look of the light too. It was also me setting the white balance a bit red to get that. Came out really nice I think.
So was it an accident, or did you want it like that? It looks sweet. Send a copy to BIKE for their photo annual. Seriously. I like photography and that is a great one.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by Repack
So was it an accident, or did you want it like that? It looks sweet. Send a copy to BIKE for their photo annual. Seriously. I like photography and that is a great one.
On purpose. I wanted to bring out the golden grass color. I cant send to to BIKE though, because they dont accept digital files or color prints. Only 35mm slides or really nice B&W prints. I dont shoot film, so I cant submit color to them.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't mean to sound like a poo head but I don't really like the grass picture everybody is raving about. I would have focused on the rider and kept the grass in the foreground blurry, or used a slow shutter and small aperature to make everything clear with the rider blurred, or I would have framed the shot so that there was grass in the foreground on both sides. I just find the grass to be a little distracting, the subject is the rider and he seems to be in the shadows with washed out colors. Maybe I'd like it better if you made it black and white.

That said, it's cool you are riding and taking pics. I'm not a pro or even an expert for that matter, and I've yet to have one of my picutres published so I can't put my film where my mouth is.

If you're having fun with the DigiCam you should seriously look into getting a SLR from a pawn shop or off ebay, for about $100 you can find a basic manual camera an lense and it will give you much more flexibility in exposure and processing than a digital camera would and with half decent scanner you can convert your prints to digital anyways. Plus then you could send your pictures to Bike.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
I have a film SLR too. I just dont like it as much, and its not as versitile. As much as I love my camera, I have a feeling I will be upgrading to a DSLR sometime. I honestly dont feel like I can get as good pictures with my film camera. I much prefer using my manual digital. It has more zoom than my telephoto lens on my SLR, as well as a nice manual focus. My digital has a really nice lens as well, its not one of those little compact ones. It has everything I need for now. When I feel that I have outgrown this camera, I will buy a DSLR if I have some money. The grass picture wasnt even my favorite of the batch. I was surprised everyone liked it so much. I felt the grass was a little distracting as well. Thanks for the comments.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i just got my G-5 in the mail today may not get any riding shots taken with it but i will certainly be posting some pics soon hopefully.it will probably be monday.oh yeah good shots by the way.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
With a digital camera, how do you get part of the picture to be blurred out? I can only do that with film cameras. My digital camera seems to focus on everything at once.

Actually with a SLR, only the exact place I focus on is clear. I want, usually, to get the whole bike in focus, and then some other stuff too. Actually one of the clearest shots I have taken was on a auto focus camera, but those arent usually as good (because the picture isnt taken the second that you press the button, it takes a second usually).
Help?

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by dwaugh
With a digital camera, how do you get part of the picture to be blurred out? I can only do that with film cameras. My digital camera seems to focus on everything at once.

Actually with a SLR, only the exact place I focus on is clear. I want, usually, to get the whole bike in focus, and then some other stuff too. Actually one of the clearest shots I have taken was on a auto focus camera, but those arent usually as good (because the picture isnt taken the second that you press the button, it takes a second usually).
Help?
You change the apeture, but with my camera it wont blur very much. Really nice digitals blur better.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Ben I'm gonna steal your camera. g5s are neat.
yeah idig it hopefully ill shoot some pics with it today depends wether we ride at the jumps or go explore some urban in balck mountain

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I have a film SLR too. I just dont like it as much, and its not as versitile. As much as I love my camera, I have a feeling I will be upgrading to a DSLR sometime. I honestly dont feel like I can get as good pictures with my film camera. I much prefer using my manual digital. It has more zoom than my telephoto lens on my SLR, as well as a nice manual focus. My digital has a really nice lens as well, its not one of those little compact ones. It has everything I need for now. When I feel that I have outgrown this camera, I will buy a DSLR if I have some money. The grass picture wasnt even my favorite of the batch. I was surprised everyone liked it so much. I felt the grass was a little distracting as well. Thanks for the comments.
What don't you like about your SLR? Unless it's a crappy semi-programmed, aperature priority only type camera it should be just as versatile as your digicam. Possibly more so with a faster shutter and wider range of aperatures. Oh well it looks like you're getting the hang of photography one way or another. Good job:thumb:

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Originally posted by Kornphlake
What don't you like about your SLR? Unless it's a crappy semi-programmed, aperature priority only type camera it should be just as versatile as your digicam. Possibly more so with a faster shutter and wider range of aperatures. Oh well it looks like you're getting the hang of photography one way or another. Good job:thumb:
I like it, a lot, but I cant get as good pictures on manual mode because I learned on my digicam which has evf, so inside the viewfinder it gets darker/lighter when I change shuttter or apeture, so its very easy to get proper exposure. All my pictures come out crappy on the film camera usually. Its also just harder to take along with me in a camelbak, with 2 lenses and all. I want a DSLR. The main thing I want to try out is the fact that it has a HUGE range of apetures. I could get panning shots in full light rather than only in the woods. I have 3 spare rolls of black and white, so I will take it out sometime.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Most modern 35mm cameras have an exposure bracketing option that will fire 3 sequential frames one over exposed 1 stop, 1 as metered and 1 under exposed. I've never used it because I don't like the though of only getting 8 shots out of a roll of 24 but to some it may make sense. I try and set up my shots using the TTL meter, if I want it brighter I'll open the aperature or slow down the shutter, if I want darker... you get the picture. I guess since I learned (or at least attempted to learn) on a 35 mm camera it is not really a big deal to have to see exactly what the shot will look like, I just hope that it'll look better slightly over or under exposed. To me that's half the fun is trying different things and 6 months later when I get the prints I have to try and remember what exactly it was that I tried.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
i need to get a camera so bad. biggins can you let me know how you like the g5. im mainly deciding between coolpix 5700 and powershot s1 is. its too hard to decide though. i love both cameras. it makin me mad.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by kingLatency
Get a neutral density filter for that.
:eek: :thumb:

props for sane advice. the real benefit of dslrs, as we all know :D, is the razor thin depth of field attainable with fast lenses, heh