Quantcast

951 setup

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
So I know a lot of people like me are starting to get on the 951s. I just built mine up and have gotten a day on it. Where and how do you guys ride and how do you have yours setup? It's a way different bike than anything I've ridden before, and while trial and error is key it seems like starting a feedback thread might be nice to get some ideas out there.

I'm in the PNW, and would compare myself to your Kovarik (style not speed). I'm running it in the long wb/travel settings. It feels great when you're cookin, but the body position is definitely different than it was on my '08 DHR for the tighter/steeper stuff - it makes you want to get back. Much less poppy and quick feeling than the DHR, especially out of the pockets.

How are you guys setting up the RC4 to use more of the travel? I am running like 35% sag in the 8.5 position and I'm still not close to using full travel on harder hits (but I haven't had a canadian landing yet). I upped the the LSC to about half in (6 of 12?) and it still feels a little wallowy on the tight, slappy turns...more HSC?

Have y'all found the 8" position less progressive?

Overall, the bike feels ****in rad when it gets up to speed and oh **** does it have more traction in the back than anything I've ridden. It's absolute butter over the rough stuff. I'm excited to spend more time on it and learn it better - at this point I just feel like I need to get faster to appreciate it.

Attachments

Last edited:

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
My favorite setup is as follows. 8" travel setting with 400# spring, 4 clicks of LS and HS wide open. G3 set in middle position. The 8" setting won't ride as deep in the stroke as the 8.5". The setup I'm using now is a nice in between of lively and quick yet still does a pretty decent job on the small chatter. I've tried all the different settings, springs weights, etc. and found this to be my all around favorite. Going to the middle setting on the wheel base really quickens up the rear end around the tight stuff and the 8" setting gives the bike a more lively feel as well. I think it's very difficult to use all the travel on this frame due to the ramp up at the end of the stroke. I also have the bottom out adj. all the way out with the min. 125psi. Try this and see if you like it. Different strokes for different folks. So far my my favorite DH bike to date. Hope this helps or is what you're looking for.

jfk1700

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
Boulder, CO
I run mine in the middle setting the G3's. I feel like the bike handles a bit better than in the lowest/slackest setting. However, on high speed stuff the lowest setting feels pretty damn good. But for most stuff, I have been keeping it in the middle. I also run the bike in the 8" position and have had good results so far. I rarely use all the travel and everything feels great. I haven't done too much with the RC4. I am not very suspension savvy so I haven't done too much adjusting. If anything, I have increased the HSC a little.
Coming from a 303, I love my 951. It is snappy, smooth, and feels good through the rough stuff. However, it falls short of the 303 on square edged hits. But from what I understand, that is to be expected. Either way, I feel like the bike suits me better and is perfect for the MSC series here in Colorado.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I haven't had the opportunity to ride one yet, so I'd be interested to hear how the 951 rides compared to other frames - where it's better,worse, or just different. This frame is on my short list for next year but won't know for sure until I get some time on it. Until then, I'll live through others that have ridden it.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My 951 was supposedly shipped last week. Ill have a PUSHED Roco on it and a 400lbs ti-spring. Im 175 lbs. Im coming off 2 hard seasons on a Socom. Ill have a comparision soon if it shows up. I have some huge rides planned for the weekend.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
I have had mine for quite a while now, and it's still sitting in the box. Well, at least I have a Double Barrel on it. Damn being married with kids, no money for daddy's toys anymore.

Maybe I could get everyone here to donate a dollar for the building fund?

Any takers?

I would love to be able to report the set-up and it'll happen by Spring!

Sorry, I just needed to vent!!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
gotta say, this bike is a different animal in the middle dropout position. Went from a total sled to a snappy, quick little bike reminiscent of my DHR.

Climbs pretty good, too!

Any other experiences?

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
gotta say, this bike is a different animal in the middle dropout position. Went from a total sled to a snappy, quick little bike reminiscent of my DHR.

Climbs pretty good, too!

Any other experiences?
You still running the 8.5" setting? If so give the 8" a try as well. This bike corners ridiculous. My 303r feels great in corners but my 951 is even better. The only downside is the low bb, takes a little adjustment in riding style but I'm diggin it. Great bike!