Quantcast

951 updated

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well, I broke down and did it. I bought a Boxxer Team. Here is the 951 ready for the resorts and shuttling... oh ya, Im still going to use it for AM. :) Im loving the HammerSchmidt BTW.

I changed out the black sticker kit for a white one. I still want a Canfield stem.

38.5 lbs

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The bars do look high... Get a canfield stem. 1" drop, been happy with mine and have had it for a few months.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Great looking rig! I've been thinking of picking one up, but I'm not sure I could get the geometry set where I want it.
I find it funny that I unintentionally look at the clock at 9:51 twice a day, everyday for the last 3 months.

-Kevin

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Why dont you put a zero stack headset in there? It would drop the bars more than a new stem, and give you more adjustability (in front end height) with the boxxer....

I think I have a set of e-13 cups if you want them....

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Why dont you put a zero stack headset in there? It would drop the bars more than a new stem, and give you more adjustability (in front end height) with the boxxer....

I think I have a set of e-13 cups if you want them....
I thought about that too. If I go that route Id just do the top. If I change the bottom of the headset to a flush the 66 will hit the downtube... and I dont want the bike any lower. Its pretty low already.

Any other ideas? Should I just order the top flush headset?

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I thought about that too. If I go that route Id just do the top. If I change the bottom of the headset to a flush the 66 will hit the downtube... and I dont want the bike any lower. Its pretty low already.

Looks like you have a few spacers between the crown and headset, maybe loose those?

Longshot, but if King makes a flush headset you could get one and then get a Ventana CK race(adds 7mm) that would let your 66 clear the downtube, I'm not sure if CK makes the flush headset though.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Well you could get a good 1/2 inch or so with a flat top cup. I run mine with no dust cover and no spacers...so the total top stack height is about 3mm.

Then either a dropped stem (Canfield) or flat bars, or both...

Personally, I would go bars first (unless they were brand new, and there was something in particualr that I did not like about my current stem) as I like to replace my bars every season (I consider them a wear and tear type item), and they are less $$...

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
The crown shape is to accomidate different head tube/stack heights. It has nothing to do with bar height (as both versions are the same thickness).
Would a flat crown not lower the a2c height, because you have to slide the lower crown down to make up for the difference in drop between the drop top crown and flat top crown.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How far down can you drop the lower crown? I left it were Go-Ride set it.

I just bought the bars... I think Ill go flush top headset and the Canfield stem.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How far down can you drop the lower crown?
Remove the fork leg top cap on the spring side so you can fully compress the fork. Feel if there is a bottom-out bumper that could be compressed further. Look at the distance between the dust wipers and crown and the tire and crown. Lower as far as you can (figuring for the bottom-out bumper), still leaving at least 3mm clearance.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Would a flat crown not lower the a2c height, because you have to slide the lower crown down to make up for the difference in drop between the drop top crown and flat top crown.

IF you have the ability to lower the fork in the crowns, then you have that ability no mater the top crown.

Swaping the top crown will not magically allow you the room/space to drop the front end.

You are semi right in that you might 'have to slide the lower crown down' to fit a flat crown, BUT if you have that ability with a flat crown, they you had the same ability with a drop crown....

Think of this exact frame...and if it NEEDED the lower crown height as shown to have proper tire/lower crown clearance. Now try to put a flat crown on.

A-C is to the lower crown, and the clearance IT needs to the tire. The top crown has nothing to do with this in any way.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
How far down can you drop the lower crown? I left it were Go-Ride set it.

I just bought the bars... I think Ill go flush top headset and the Canfield stem.
It looks like it was set pretty tall IMO.

Unweight the front..measure ~203mm from the seal lip to the crown.

Or

Pull the spring top cap and compress the fork (better way IMO) including the bottom out bumper (ie, push down hard).

Set the lower crown to a height that allows a little (mud) clearance with your biggest tire (what ever amount makes you feel OK and you are not mashing your seals) from the max travel found above.

Shoot me a PM if you want the (a) e-13 cups. I most likely have some bearings around as well, you can just use the compression ring and crown race that you have.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Why all the complex math? Just measure from the underside of the crown to the top of the tallest center knob based on whatever tire is on the bike. As long it's a few millimeters more than the travel of the fork, you're done.

As for drop crowns, I just saw the Race Face direct mount stem has a negative rise option as well.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The seat is a WTB ti Rocket V. I love the Rocket. I have then on all my bikes.

DAVEP.,
Thanks for the offer on the E13 cups, but Im going to just order the top of the CC Flush headset. The top of the headset has been on a few bikes and might just need a change.

Last edited:

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Why all the complex math? Just measure from the underside of the crown to the top of the tallest center knob based on whatever tire is on the bike. As long it's a few millimeters more than the travel of the fork, you're done.

As for drop crowns, I just saw the Race Face direct mount stem has a negative rise option as well.
You gotta be careful doing this. Not sure on the new boxxers, but a lot of forks will contact lowers to crown before tire to crown.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Well the bike is finally done. The Canfield stem and flush headset is on.
I left one small spacer under the crown so the crowns wouldnt hit the headset.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Feels a lot better. No trail time, but the parking lot test got an A. I had to keep a small spacer under the crown so nothing would rub or hit. I could lower it a little with a smaller space,r but Im going to leave it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
careful, one fat dude riding a prototype of that stem bent it, so now all stems besides the ones that aren't produced will fail catastrophically just by looking at it. Didn't you know?

Seriously though, that setup looks great. I think I would have gone with a black boxxer, to match the stem, but that's just me. That bike looks really dialed.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Feels a lot better. No trail time, but the parking lot test got an A. I had to keep a small spacer under the crown so nothing would rub or hit. I could lower it a little with a smaller space,r but Im going to leave it.
Or do a Sam Hill and get your mechanic to take the dremel to the underside of the crown...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I bought mine online directly from Canfield. I tried to call and order it over the phone, but they prefered online.

Intenseman

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
France
Last Update of my bike ;)

Frame : Intense 951, Size M, Team Green
Fork : RockShox Boxxer Team,white, CRConception
http://www.crconception.com/web_images/precontrainte_boxx35.jpg
Shock : Canecreek Double Barrel
Spring : DSP Titane 500*3" (450 for Real DH trails)
Stem : Twenty6 F1, white, 45-55mm
Handlebar : Chromax OSX, black
Grips : Sunline Big S Lock-On
Seatpost : Thomson Masterpiece, 31.6mm, black
Saddle : Chromag Lynx
Seatclamp : Hope, noir
Headset : CaneCreek Double XC-II Flush
brakes : Avid Elixir CR 200mm/180mm
Trigger : Sram XO
Rear Derailleur : Sram XO Short Cage w/ KCNC jockey wheels
Cassette : Shimano Dura-Ace 11-23
Cranks : Race Face Atlas FR, 165mm, black