Quantcast

96'er FR rig? freak build

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Ok so I have an itch to build a bike for light FR/streets bike...but Im starting to dream up a complete freak of bicycle nature lol.

Im thinking a 26" DJ/FR frame (Chase, P3, Mob. etc) with a 29" front wheel? but I dont know if converting a DJ bike to a 69'er will **** up the entire bike or if it would benefit from it? How about a 26(front)24(rear)

I am actually even thinking about using a cannondale lefty fork? Ive heard people are jumping stair cases and hitting 5 foot drops with out any issues?

I know Im gonna catch a lot of **** but Im hoping some ppl will give me some honest good info...I just want something fun and different than the standard ride.

pencil_sr

Chimp
Feb 2, 2010
Utah
I don't know about how all that would affect geo and what not, but I used a lefty for freeride/light downhill for a little while last season and never had an issue with the fork. I did fold the front rim though, but it was the stock rim, so if you do it just make sure you lace the hub to a solid rim. also, the lefty fork uses cannondale's proprietary 1 5/8 head tube, which might be an issue. I have seen a few people online that are making custom adapters to run them on bikes with 1 1/8 headtubes though.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have an Evil Sovereign which I've run with a very short rigid fork and a 29" front wheel.

If you can find a shorter-travel 29" suspension fork which has an A-C length shorter than that of the long-travel 26" fork spec'd for your bike, you should be OK...but I sort of wonder why you'd do this on a freeride bike.

For me, I just wanted a simple, rigid singlespeed trail bike, and the 29" wheel was an experiment as I transitioned to a rigid bike for the first time. Worked well for me. But this was because I was riding over rough stuff.

A 26/24 combo might be OK for a street bike, but it's going to change your angles unless the frame's purpose-built for it. Back when angles on all bikes tended to be steeper, this was a way to compensate. Now that you can get a 26" frame with good angles for the riding you're talking about, I don't much see the point. Shades of the trends of the late 90s, man.

And while Lefties aren't bad forks, necessarily, they're super-expensive on their own and don't really offer much for what you pay, besides looking different and requiring a bike with an oversized headtube.

Honestly, with the purpose-made products out there today, I see no reason to cobble together a frankenbike. Maybe look at the new Canfield Bros. 29" hardtail if you want something different? Don't Banshee and a few other companies offer 29" bikes for the tough-guy crowd?