Quantcast

9mm Forks on a DJ/ Street Bike

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Have any of you guys had any luck running standard 9mm dropouts on a street bike? My new setup is going to run 24" wheels and BMX hubs. I'm going from a Marzocchi 4X w/ the 20mm axle. I'm not too worried about stiffness, but I don't want the fork breaking. I'm thinking about just running a Fox Float and lowering it.

Does anyone have any pictures of bikes with them? Or (hopefully) any success stories?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Fox 32s used for heavy riding always end up creaking. I had one that I only used for light dirt jumping, and it was low and light and plenty stiff, but the stanchions/arch developed the creak.

Maybe the new 15mm thru-axle versions would be less flexy, but they aren't meant to be jumped even, let alone used for street riding.

Why would you want to run a 9mm axle? The Marz 4X is a pretty dang light fork.

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Ha, I try to ride as light and smooth as possible. The only problem is a feel like there's a certain point where you can't really progress while you're trying to ride extra smooth.

I want a 9mm for a couple reasons. They're obviously lighter, but it also lets you run a lighter BMX hub. Also, the fork and the hubs are cheaper. I also think they look better with a 24" wheel because of the smaller stanchions. I'm not trying to be a complete weight weenie, but I can throw 360's so much higher and easier with my friend's 20-22 lb BMX bikes, and I figure if I can get my MTB down around 23 or 24, it would help my riding.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
Seriously just go rigid.

I ride a 24:" bike with all bmx parts. I broke my arm, wrist and hand in seven places about 4 years ago. I never thought I would ride a rigid bike again. As long as there are trannys you will be fine progressing.

A rigid fork is way cheaper and lighter for sure. BTW 3/8" bmx axles are 10mm .

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Seriously just go rigid.

I ride a 24:" bike with all bmx parts. I broke my arm, wrist and hand in seven places about 4 years ago. I never thought I would ride a rigid bike again. As long as there are trannys you will be fine progressing.

A rigid fork is way cheaper and lighter for sure. BTW 3/8" bmx axles are 10mm .
Meh, good thought, I just really don't want to go rigid. I like the suspension too much.

And yeah, I'm going to file the axles where they fit the drops.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
aaron chase gets free forks when he breaks them.

a Hope 20mm TA hub is lighter than most, if not all bmx hubs.

but yeah rigid is sick. that's what i ride now.

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Wow, those Hopes are really light. I think I'd rather run the NS Rotary or Simple though.

I do like the idea of rigid - less parts to work on and lighter weight. It just seems like you'd be getting right back to the feel of a 24" cruiser - which I hate. And after riding my bike for a year, it feels so awkward jumping on a BMX because it's rigid. I like the little bit of cush up front.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
3/8" is between 9 and 10 mm, like 9.5 or something, just enough that axle nuts are not interchangeable !

ieatdirt

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
chicago
I had a marzocchi dj3 that came on my .357 It had 9mm dropouts and was plenty stiff. The fork was extremely heavy though. I would definately recommend a bolt-on hub, but that sounds like your plan. I am planning on getting a new fox with the 15mm thru-axle, but it is strictly for 4x racing, so I am being a weight weenie. Is that last pic a contraband? Or just a rigid with blkmrkt stickers?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
why are you affraid of the Marzocchi 4x it is an awsome fork lite stiff and Marzocchi smoothness or try an Argyle 409 air or a pike. fox forks always develop creak in the crown and stanchions. not to mention bottom out spiking. If you want a good qr dropout fork the X-fusion Velvet R holds up better then the fox easy to work on and are very durable

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
why are you affraid of the Marzocchi 4x it is an awsome fork lite stiff and Marzocchi smoothness or try an Argyle 409 air or a pike. fox forks always develop creak in the crown and stanchions. not to mention bottom out spiking. If you want a good qr dropout fork the X-fusion Velvet R holds up better then the fox easy to work on and are very durable
I already explained why I want a 9mm, wouldn't that explain why I don't want the 4X? Also, it's not that light.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
well a qr fork for dj is just too dangerous as you see even rigid forks can wreck the dropouts. but if you insist on a qr I would go with the X-Fusion Velvet R a few guys I know run them and love them over fox 32 floats and talas plus they are between $300 and $350 so it is a big savings over a fox air and the quality is great and very user serviceable.

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
if you ride smooth it'll work out fine..i've been running a qr float for two years, learning 360s on dirt and all and they still work. where i live, people have been using qr's forever, dont believe the internet.

also because of the bmx hub theyll be a lot stiffer.

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
That's what I'm hoping for. If you google "Fox creak" you don't actually get a whole lot of results. Also, most people were able to get it warrantied.

And yeah, the other thing I didn't even think about with the weight on the bmx hub is the fact that the axle is included in that weight. With a 20mm hub, you have to figure in the axle weight.

Do you have any pics of your bike?

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
That's what I'm hoping for. If you google "Fox creak" you don't actually get a whole lot of results. Also, most people were able to get it warrantied.

And yeah, the other thing I didn't even think about with the weight on the bmx hub is the fact that the axle is included in that weight. With a 20mm hub, you have to figure in the axle weight.

Do you have any pics of your bike?
bmx hubs on 9mm forks combos are way lighter in the end... I'm gonna order either a Fly female hub or a Profile mini female one..

as for fox creaking, most locals here ride at least 5 years old foxes, including me, I have yet to hear one creaking (my Black did used to creak like hell though).

and this is my MOB
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3139514/

weighs around 22 lbs right now..

MXicon

Chimp
May 27, 2007
Sick Mob. I'm going to go with a Float 32. How easy are they to lower? I lowered my 4X, is it the same thing (spacer below the negative spring)?

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Sick Mob. I'm going to go with a Float 32. How easy are they to lower? I lowered my 4X, is it the same thing (spacer below the negative spring)?
very easy, indeed just put spacers underneath the negative spring, mine is set at 70mm, ideal for a mob (tried 65 and everything above 70; 70 is perfect).