Quantcast

a big F U to the tool behind the new HT design

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Headsets are cheap. When dropping several thousand on a dh bike, I just can't see why this is a big deal........especially when the bike COMES WITH THE HEADSET.

It's just like having a dh bike with a 1 1/8 headtube but a little burlier where you're likely to ovalize it. You can't run a 1.5 but there are lots of frames out there that have this problem.

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Quote:::I think the tapered steerer tube must be stronger since here you can see it implemented on a 250lb motorcycle...

Well its a good thing that we don't ride 250lb bicycles huh?...well, maybe you do. That sucks.

I just don't see your comparison.

Hey Adam, I called trek to talk to their idiot of a designer. He said he is a huge fan of yours and just wanted to mess with you. He said it won't be used...but he did say that sam hill will be on Trek next year, so all the monkies are going to have to buy trek. Start saving up for your headsets...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Road bikes have had this for a season or two now. It makes a lot of sense if you think about where the stress concentrations are. The lower headset cup takes much more of the leverage forces imposed by the fork, look at the FSA Pig headset for example. Huge bottom cup, tiny top cup. Why not do the same for the steerer tube. It's much more critical. I raised the luddite flag and called the 1.5 standard unnecessary when it debuted, but I have to admit that I'll be looking forward to other companies adopting this.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Ah its not that big of a deal guys.
Don't like it, don't buy it.
I am sure someone will sell a 1,1/8 & 1,1/2 headset.
As WooDY said it does make some sense.
Personally I don't see the need, nor would I get a single crown for DH sled. Not say it doesn't work or isn't a good idea. I just don't see the point. Maby for shore style riding, with really tight slow stuff. Perhaps on a 6&6 AM bike. Meh, at least there trying new things.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I think it's a better idea than the 15mm axle that's just being used to get around the maxle patents. QR for 20mm is pointless anyway in my eyes.I'd rather it was kept simple.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was too lazy to read on, did anyoune mention a reducer cup for the bottom cup?
Trek dealers already sell one.

a crown race adapter exists which allows one to put any fork with a standard 1 1/8'' steer tube on the bike. This means you still use the same oversized 1.5''lower bearing and still have all the benefits of E2. The part number for this adapter is 408333, available from any Trek dealer.
Also...

bikeradar said:
Fox also comes to the party with an E2 version of the 36 TALAS RC2 fork on the top model Remedy 9. This will also be available aftermarket from Trek for riders who want to upgrade from the RockShox Lyric 2-Step or RockShox Lyrik Solo Air on the Remedy 8 and Remedy 7.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Do you know if they already sell the tapered ht Fox 36?
Not yet last time I checked about a month ago. I was hoping for a Fox Vanilla 36 and Fox said they didn't have one available.

08 Remedy just became available recently though. If you dealer preordered early they might have some in stock.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
as for the moto cross fork comparison you cannot compare because the steertube in them is not a large load bearing part (there are ones without steertubes as well) in a bike on the other hand the steer is one on the most heavily loaded parts

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Maveric forks got away without a steerer tube.
1.5 top headset is not needed for any reason really. How often do you see damage done to the top headset on 1 1/8th? and would it not of happened on a 1.5?
1.5 bottom is fair enough for a few reasons
Larger surface area to weld a fat down tube.
Lower stack height.
Longer lasting bearing.
Strength(is it even needed).
I'd like to see 1.5 dropped and this adopted instead.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A buddy snapped the steerer tube between the dual crowns of his Travis the other day. It was awesome.

That is all.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I like 1.5" steer tubes. Especially on long travel single crown forks.
The only thing I could see being a negative about the new tapered design, is that normal 1.5" forks won't work.
1-1/8" forks will probably be fine and only need one reducer.
Not worth getting your panties in a wad over, IMO.