Quantcast

A bike for everything?

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
or an iron horse 2005 Iron Horse Warrior DS SE they have them chep on supergo, or get new still 899

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
What kind of "everything" are you talking about?

There is not a bike around (that I know of at least) that is good for everything mountain biking. You are not going to find somthing that is good for a cross country race that you can turn around and ride downhill on.

So, with that being said, there still are some great "all mountain" bikes out there. What are you mainly looking at doing? More Cross country race stuff? General Trail riding? Gravity assisted sports? Dirt Jumping?
With a little more information on what you plan to be doing, we can gice you a little bit more help.

also, are you looking for a Hardtail or a Full sus? If you are looking for a fully, at that price your best bet is to go used.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I would really go used for something like that. Good for everything would have to imply a FS bike and you don't really want to cheap out on that.

That being said I'm on a Giant VT1 and it's a great "all around" bike. It's relatively light for a long travel bike and handles XC very well, and it hits the downhill sections with a vengence. The Giant VT series is a really good bike and you should be able to get a used one for around a thousand I would expect.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
dawgs are good, however i don't know if you will find a dawg in taht price range

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
the new howler is nice and some haros work great to and ca nbe upgraded in the long run.

outdoornut

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
wetsponge007 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a bike that would be good for all types of mtn. Bike riding, and that is $900 and lower in cost?

Check out the 2005 Giant AC (All Condition), basically all mountian. Most LBS can get you into this for between $840 to $875. Got mine in July 2005 for $840 and a friend of mine just ordered his and got it for $870.

wetsponge007 said:
What do you guys/girls think about the Kona coiler?

The coiler is a sweet bike. I got an 05 for $1000 bucks used. I will never ride another "all mountain" bike again. It is very pedal friendly and will handle just about anything you throw at it. I am 250 lbs. and still do 5 ft. drops as well as bust my hump up some nasty hills on it.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Well if you're not racing xc or busting huge drops or doubles then just get something that has a good amount of suspension (5 or 6ish) that is at or below the 30 lb mark. The Coiler is just as good as any. Sure it won't fly up hills, and it probably won't soak up 20 foot drops (at least not stock), but it is a nice happy medium between XC efficiency and DH durability.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
wetsponge007 said:
What do you guys/girls think about the Kona coiler?
The coiler is more of a FR oriented bike than an all mountain bike. It's quite heavy for an "All Mountain" rig, and really doesn't climb that well.

If you're looking Kona, the Dawg or Dawg Matic (both would have to be used to get into the range you're looking for) would be an excellent all mountain ride. You could also look into what Haro offers (the are quite good for the money as I understand).

For a hardtail, a Kona Kula or Cindercone would be a great ride.

outdoornut said:
32 lbs yet still climbs great. I ride mostly aggressive XC in WV. It was awesome on the downhills at Snowshoe WV, worked extremely well at aggressive XC in Pocahontas and Tucker Counties in WV and has handled numerous 3 to 5 foot drops with no complaints. I haven't ridden any of my other bikes since purchasing mine back in July 2005. Should be able to pick up one for less than $900.

Put the crackpipe down and step away from the computer.:drool:

outdoornut

Chimp
Sep 7, 2005
wingman24 said:
Put the crackpipe down and step away from the computer.:drool:
Sorry Wetsponge (post originator) I guess from the previous post I'm not supposed to tell you about a bike at or below your price range that will do what you requested. I should have suggested a much higher dollar bike. I hope you find something nice to ride from the posts above that makes "you" happy reguardless of what others think.

I tMt I

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
If you were looking for a higher end hardtail then you could try and find a used sinister ridge which could turn out into a really great all around hardtail.