Quantcast

A bit of advice for a Lounge Lizard...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Any thoughts on this bike?

I like the fact that the fork can lock out. A lot of my riding is on the roads. A little iffy on the "uniqueness" of it though.

BTW, are mech discs any good? The shop where they're selling the this thing "does not allow rides around the parking lot" so I can't really test it out.

Also, SRAM any good?

My Deore XTII has lasted a good 15 years. I want to buy something of equal quality or better. Don't know anything about the SRAM system. The guys in the shop went on and on about it having a quicker response and "more linear" feel that shimano. (whatever...)

He also claimed that AVID are the best mechanical disc brakes on the market.

Is this guy a filthy garbage selling liar? ( I realise that the no test ride thing is bogus, I'm confident that if I show them the cash, they'll let me ride the thing. It's like pulling teeth to get service around here around here sometimes)

Bring on the opinions...

(I am comparing this to a Kona Kula, a Rock Hopper Comp, and a Rocky Mountain Vertex)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Da Peach said:
Any thoughts on this bike?

I like the fact that the fork can lock out. A lot of my riding is on the roads. A little iffy on the "uniqueness" of it though.

BTW, are mech discs any good? The shop where they're selling the this thing "does not allow rides around the parking lot" so I can't really test it out.
Dude. Run away. That's retarded. :confused:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. Run away. That's retarded. :confused:
Yeah, I know:

( I realise that the no test ride thing is bogus, I'm confident that if I show them the cash, they'll let me ride the thing. It's like pulling teeth to get service around here around here sometimes)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
The Kona will be your best value (especially with the reliable Hayes hydros and the lock-out on the fork). And when components start wearing out, it will be very easy to upgrade.

Mech discs are definitely a good value and they work very well (I ran mechs for several years on my first full squish XC bike). But if you have the opportunity to go with hydraulic...don't pass it up.

SRAM kicks ass...Unless you're going to be racing, it doesn't really matter. The quality of both systems (at the level that that bike is at) is just about equal. The XT rear der on the kona will serve you very well.

Buy it, Ride it, Love it.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Da Peach said:
Yeah, I know:
Seriously. You need to find a better shop.

I like the Kona of the four that you've linked. Little nicer spec, no proprietary fork, better brakes etc. SRAM v. Shimano. Meh. I used Shimano triggers for years now I'm on X.9s. I could go back to Shimano. They both work good.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
moff_quigley said:
Seriously. You need to find a better shop.

I like the Kona of the four that you've linked. Little nicer spec, no proprietary fork, better brakes etc. SRAM v. Shimano. Meh. I used Shimano triggers for years now I'm on X.9s. I could go back to Shimano. They both work good.
Well, the Kona is from a shop where I can test ride, so I guess I'll lean towards that one...

No conclusions taken yet though. I'll speak to the manager at that other place.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
I replied for components in the other thread in the lounge, but...

I like the Kona geometry. Their hardtails climb incredibly well, and the geometry of their FS rigs allows them to climb very well also. Again, each person will have their own feelings with this, but my experience has been that Konas have been built to withstand a lot of abuse and are very reasonable in price.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
Secret Squirrel said:
The Kona will be your best value (especially with the reliable Hayes hydros and the lock-out on the fork).
hayes are OKAY but not the hayes sole..nine are okay..i'm running a nine and a sole, and the nine is a lot more responsive and stronger..if you get soles, don't even ride em, just upgrade! thats in my eyes tho