Quantcast

A couple of runs on the Cannondale Judge

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I searched to see if anyone had posted anything about riding the Judge but did not see anything. There was a thread with some questions about it so I hope this helps/ isn't redundent.

First off, I only had 2 runs on it at Plattekill the first weekend in November so don't look for anything super in-depth. I'm only sharing my impressions of the bike.

I have never ridden a Gemeni so I can't compare the 2. I currently rine an M1 w/ a 5e, Ti spring, and a Shiver if that helps you get some perspective. I have also owned/extensively ridden a Specialized S-Works DH w/ a Manipoo XVert, Foes DHS w/ Boxxer, and Trek Pro-Issue DH (The O-G one).

Suspension on the Judge was a Fox DHX 5.0 (or whatever the top of the line is) with a steel spring and a 2005 888 up front w/ the flat Marz crown. I don't know what the spring weights were but they mostly correct for my size (225#). The rear spring was 1 weight too stiff- front and rear sag was identical so the bike rode a litttle funny on steep stuff but was fine on everything else. It was noticeable but not bad. The bike was in the care of a cdale employee who is a friend of friends and weighs the same as me. He said that he had never touched the bike and suspected that heavy springs were put in it to make those awsome parking lot tests a little easier.
The rest of the parts were "normal" CDale DH parts- e13 guide (38T I think), Hayes brakes, Truvativ cranks, Mavic rims, 2.5 Moster tires f+r...

My only real annoyance was that the lock-on Roughian grips were way too thin for my liking. Rogues are my prefered grip. When I ride thin grips I lose a lot of control.

Now for the ride:

I would not recomend this bike to a novice rider or someone who wants a free-ride rig or who has little/no interest in racing. The bike is long and likes to be ridden fast. The head angle is slacker than on my M1 and the swingarm is much longer. The bike rides kind of crappy at slow speeds but made me smile more and more the faster I rode it. The bike I rode was a meduim and cockpit sizing felt no different than my M1. Novice riders will find the bike very unforging as will those who are mre interested in slower technical trails. The fork is slack enough that it will bring you to a stop if you ride into things going too slow.
Going of drops of any size required much more speed than my M1, but the suspension was bottomless. B/c of the long swingarm I really had to focus on keeping the front end up while riding off of things. The biggest drop I hit was ~5' to almost flat and I was pleasantly surprised at how soft I landed.

The bottom line is that the harder you push the bike the better it rides. It rides like a race bike should. It will reward advanced riders and punish novices.

Lastly, the "owner" of the bike said that frames were currnetly in production but did not say when they would be out. I was asking about how close the Gracia I rode was to production (I was riding the final pre-production version, but there was a big "Gracia" badge on it). CDale already knew at that point that Gracia wasn't coming back so I am speculating that there were not any rebadging issues.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
no offense but the judges are the exact same as the gracia gemini. the only thing that is different is that it doesnt have gracia writen all over it. same exact build specs as before just different name.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
preppie said:
And the 18" chainstay isn't making it 'less' sluggish...

Not my kind of geo.

They should manual as good as a bike with short stays. My old rommate had a Gemini DH which has very similar geo and before he built it up, I measured the stays, and thought OMG the front end will never get off the ground, but after riding it I realized that #'s don't tell the whole story. The bike was very easy to manual for me, and did not feel sluggish.

frznnomad said:
no offense but the judges are the exact same as the gracia gemini. the only thing that is different is that it doesnt have gracia writen all over it. same exact build specs as before just different name.

just curious have you actually looked at the bike? maybe noticed the geometry changes? oh wait there also happens to be a swinglink controlling the shock....yep thats what i call exactly the same....hasnt changed a bit, nope not at all.......

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Curb Hucker said:
Why, because we have a large company with great products and support headlining us for '06 and you don't?
I dont think he appreciates a high quality DH frame, backed by the best customer service and support in the bike industry.

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Zman said:
just curious have you actually looked at the bike? maybe noticed the geometry changes? oh wait there also happens to be a swinglink controlling the shock....yep thats what i call exactly the same....hasnt changed a bit, nope not at all.......
The "Gracia Gemini" and the normal earlier Gemini are different. The Judge is the exact as the Gracia version under a different title.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
SD_TMTB said:
The "Gracia Gemini" and the normal earlier Gemini are different. The Judge is the exact as the Gracia version under a different title.

I don't think the Gracia was ever called the Gracia Gemini, fwiw.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The bike I ride did have a "Gracia" badge on it. It was cut into a swingarm brace. It was pretty cool. I guess you could say that it crossed where a brake bridge would be.

Sorry that I didn't take a pic, but pics have already been posted here of it.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
konabiker said:
Yes, I was once a stupid impressionable 13 year old who bought into the marketing hype.

Was just a joke directed at Willy.
Yea, people have no sarcasm. The Judge won't be for everyone though, very specialized geo.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Heath Sherratt said:
Race race racerace racerace race race race race Bike. DHDHDHDHDHDHDHDHDHDHDH. You be the Judge. Such a nice bike.
DeeeeeeeeeeeeHhhhhhhhhhhhhh

In my best Superfan voice

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
WheelieMan said:
For steep/high speed racing the geometry appears spot on, I would love to ride one.
It was more just a high-speed bike, but it does do well on steeps. Just remember to always "pin it".:)

And it pedaled well.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Repack said:
It was more just a high-speed bike, but it does do well on steeps. Just remember to always "pin it".:)

And it pedaled well.
You gotta be going high-speed all the time if you wanna win.

aniki123

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
um actully look at the spec's at cannondale.com because the gemini gracia frame is built for hc freeriding as the judge "slightly longer and slacker head angle" is built as dh race bike

aniki123

Chimp
Jul 26, 2007
For steep/high speed racing the geometry appears spot on, I would love to ride one.
yah the judge's are great. the best thing about them is the 07 judge replica dh and judge 1 are the exact same frame so if you have either or u still have a world cup race bike

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
at the time no i was not aware of the changes just what i had seen in the new catalouge that the shop had got in. i unfortunatly wrote what i wrote before i new the whole story. ohh and yeh the thread is kinda 2 years old man. ohh well :busted:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
I will be ordering my 08 Judge soon, takes 4-6 weeks because they are only special ordering them this year hehe :) (maybe they always did that...i duno) ordered my boxxer wc today, cant wait to build this rig up.