Quantcast

A.d.d.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Someone told me today that it's proven to go away with time. I think this is complete bull ****. Mine is getting much worse. I stopped taking my meds in 5th grade because they made me feel like **** and my A.D.D. wasn't that bad. In the past two months its gotten horrible. I'm seriously thinking about starting to take meds again.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
a good 15 minutes
Was it cuz you couldn't focus well enough? Got easily distracted? Or you were editing it so much (OCD)?

I think you should make absolutely sure that your diagnosis is still the right one before taking meds. In other words, see your therapist/doctor :)

I like drugs, but only if they're for the right issue.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
i have ADD. I often fall while riding my bike because i'm distracted easily by things like pinkshirt and oddly colored trees.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
well i think for the most part add is mis diagnosed, they said i had it... but its because i didnt pay attention in school... but its more mainly because i didnt care.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i have ADD. I often fall while riding my bike because i'm distracted easily by things like pinkshirt and oddly colored trees.
no you don't have ADD. tom and i have it. your nothing like us. you actually know whats going on most of the time.
i actually test very well and get my test done quickly. everything else takes for ever. its really weird.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've become pretty skeptical about ADD and ADHD. After an EEG scan and several days worth of testing I was diagnosed with ADD. I think the bigger problem was that I was bored with what was being taught and either reading ahead or thinking about other stuff. More of a failure of the school system than with my attention span. Once I got into more self paced stuff I did better.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Anyone that says it is proven to go away with age is 100% full of crap. It is pretty common for it to go away with age though. I'll see if my dad knows a percent off the top of his head.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm diagnosed with ADD that's pretty severe according to the many, many tests I took during grade school. They tried to give me several types of medications but I didn't want any of it.

I think it's mostly a load of crap - not ADD/ADHD, but requiring treatment with medication. I'm sure a very few people have issues severe enough to require medication, but most people just need to suck it up and figure out how to pay attention better. That's certainly what I had to do (and did end up doing).

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
This is exactly what happens when parents stop whipping their children, f*ing cowards think pills will do what they don't have the guts to do themselves. There is no such thing as a.d.d. - its just kids who never learn anything because they haven't had their asses kicked enough.

"Oh honey, I am soooo sorry you had to murder the neighbors cat - now come get some mommy guilt meds, that way neither of us will have to take responsibility for your actions".

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
According to my father a psychologist of over 30 years it does not go away with age at all. People simply learn to compensate.

Edit: he also said that many other proplems are frequently misdiagnosed as ADD which often leads to different diagnoses later in life. This is especially true now as the ability to accurately diagnose it has improved significantly.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
My wife thinks my daughter has ADD, and wants to get her medication. I I'm the oldest of five brothers, I know what ADD looks like, and our daughter doesnt not have ADD. She a slightly hyperactive six year old.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I was diagnosed with ADD, but have since attributed the symptoms to loss of brain cells due to large amounts of alcohol. Regular consumption of which started at 8yrsold.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
My wife thinks my daughter has ADD, and wants to get her medication. I I'm the oldest of five brothers, I know what ADD looks like, and our daughter doesnt not have ADD. She a slightly hyperactive six year old.
cut back on sugar, less TV and more exercise.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
This is exactly what happens when parents stop whipping their children, f*ing cowards think pills will do what they don't have the guts to do themselves. There is no such thing as a.d.d. - its just kids who never learn anything because they haven't had their asses kicked enough.

"Oh honey, I am soooo sorry you had to murder the neighbors cat - now come get some mommy guilt meds, that way neither of us will have to take responsibility for your actions".
quoted as truth ftw. I think a short attention span is diagnosed as ADD these days...

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
To answer a few questions. I don't like the shift key, I broke my pinky in 6 places when I was little and have pins in it so it doesn't work very well. What I found helpful for dealing with A.D.D. is cutting back on sugar, watching less TV, and not being stressed. The last one is whats ruining it for me right now. I agree with the thought that A.D.D. isn't legit, it's just a combination of things that shorten their attention span.

That usage of the shift key was all for you bluebug, I hope you feel special.