Quantcast

A DHer's 26" trail bike...no wait, 29" monster truck...aww hell, 27.5" enduro machine

in my quest for my holy grail of trail bikes, I went from 26" FSR to ABP, then 29" VPP, and now...finally, arrived at the "just right" 27.5" VPP.

Presenting for your hate...2013 Santa Cruz Bronson C

Revelation 27.5, SRAM bits, XTR brakes, Enve/Hadley/Sapim wheelset (that I had to sell a kidney for)

BronsonC-1small.png

BronsonC-2small.png

BronsonC-4small.png

BronsonC-5small.png

I have plans for a 27.5 BOS Deville in August...

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I feel something rising in me...anger? confusion? lust? aahh, jealousy that's the one. Colossal amounts of jealousy

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Enve wheels... Check.
Fox CTD.... Check.

Fashion over Function... Yep, all the way.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
CTD is really just 5 compression settings but relabeled for people who don't understand. Do not see how it lacks function but again this is the hater forum.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Do you notice the 3% lower rolling resistance over a 26" wheel? Haha I'm a hater, my skills are so low a different wheel size won't do ****.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i hate to interrupt the hatefest with a question, but:

how does it ride?
I got this....insert stock new bike review here
Corners like its on rails. Eats anything, poppy out of turns and it's awesome.....
I miss anything?

I think we're all a little jelly

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
So close to their stock Enve build why didn't you go that route? It would be cheaper, right? A guy at my shop just got the Enve Bronson in a couple days ago and the fork was the only significant difference from your's.

Last edited:
i hate to interrupt the hatefest with a question, but:
how does it ride?
awesome.

i've only had one ride on it, and it was on easy trails. i rode a slacked out (just a tad under 69deg) tallboy 29r for 6months. i whupped on that bike and it was surprisingly capable. rear end was alittle noodle-y but i got used to it. the carbon rear triangle, 142TA, and enve rims was crazy stiff, night and day difference; very precise feeling and steady tracking. i got used to the higher lean angles and more forward biased weight while cornering of the 29r. when i rode the bronson, i oversteered the first couple times. i also felt i was entering and exiting corners quicker, but this may have been subjective and with "new-bike" bias.

i did get acosted by a few riders at the start of my ride asking me questions about it. as i am probably one of the first folks with the bronson in the VA/MD/DC area.

So close to their stock Enve build why didn't you go that route? It would be cheaper, right? A guy at my shop just got the Enve Bronson in a couple days ago and the fork was the only significant difference from your's.
most of the parts i already had from the 29r Tallboy. only the fork, headset, rims/spokes were purchased new. thankfully, a nice monkey was able to offer the rims to me at a much better price than retail. (still expensive, but less so). my local shop hooked me up with spokes and the wheelbuild for next to nothing.

and part of the fun for me is to build to my exact specifications. :)

Looks awesome dude, welcome to the 650b club. I love the flashy yellow, it's... bright. What flavor tires are you running?
its actually alittle limey...that specialized water bottle cage was a spot on match. running 2.35 hans dampfs...f-ing money. ran them on the slash, then the tallboy, and now the bronson.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm waiting for those as well, they truly are a great compromise of the nimbleness of the 27.5" and the stability of the 29".
might wanna wait on that, DW is working on some crazy new technology wheel. Apparently he's figured out a way to make a wheel and tire system that dynamically changes diameter depending on trail conditions, whether you're ascending or descending, if your kit has a matching colorway, and how much e-steez you have. I've already seen the patent application, it's called DW-DWS (Dynamic Wheel System)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
might wanna wait on that, DW is working on some crazy new technology wheel. Apparently he's figured out a way to make a wheel and tire system that dynamically changes diameter depending on trail conditions, whether you're ascending or descending, if your kit has a matching colorway, and how much e-steez you have. I've already seen the patent application, it's called DW-DWS (Dynamic Wheel System)
but is there 'prior artwork' ?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA

Last edited:
small update...
installed a BOS Deville TRC 27.5.

I've ridden it for about 2 months now. Buttery smooth. No discernable stiction at start of travel. Small washboard / high frequency chatter are virtually gone, but no mid-stroke wallow. Feels controlled for middle-sized hits and ramps up nicely as it nears full travel for those big ones. 20mm TA makes a positive difference compared to the 15mm IMHO. It feels like a downhill fork in terms of its smoothness and bottomless feel.

Things to do are...upgrade to XX1 or X01, RF Next SL cranks, DBair cs and prob ditching the chainguide altogether.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Youll ditch the chainguide until the chain ditches you.

You can take it off...just dont get rid of it.Unless you ride like an xc girl now.
Sounds like you haven't ridden XX1. The chain doesn't drop. Not anywhere you could ride a bike like this (not a DH bike).

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
the more I ride the bronson C, the more convinced I am that I'll be using it for longer than I typically own a frame. as a result, I am contemplating the xfusion revel next year. true story.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been riding XX1 without a guide on my bronson since May and I have not dropped a chain once. That includes a bunch of high speed, pedal-through-the-rocks stuff in the Sierras, like Downieville, Lakes Basin, etc. At first I was basically trying to get a derailment but couldn't do it. It's also a total joy to ride and own - totally quiet, easy to keep clean, etc.

That stuff is legit.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
^^^^^ Same experience with my XX1.

Super reliable, easy to clean, and I have never dropped a chain this season. If my frame had ISCG tabs, I'd certainly have this MRP XCG taco guard for extra protection. It doesn't, so my chainring is exposed.

Another option is to use a N/W chainring other than XX1 on a standard crank and simply use a bashguard. I think the XCG taco is a better option.