Quantcast

A Diablo time line...

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Remember when: it was called Mountain Creek.......but the locals still called it Vernon Valley?

Remember when: Mountain Creek closed to biking mid-season in mid-2000?

Remember when: when the mountain reopened as Diablo Freeride Park in mid-2003?

Remember when: riding was weekends only, and the season was only Memorial-thru-Labor day?

Remember when: OTB to Breakout was "the easy way down"?

Remember when: Triple Drop to Evil Bob was "the hard way down?"

Remember when: Triple Drop had no ladder bridges?

Remember when: Alpine had no wall rides?

Remember when: Alpine didn't exist yet?

Remember when: Slayer started at the top of Lower Breakout?

Remember when: Waterboy was still 100% intact?

Remember when: People actually rode Deceit?

Remember when: you were allowed to ride ALL of BMW?

Remember when: well, what do YOU remember?

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Remember in 2006 at Diabloween when the prizes they thew out to the crowd were actually good?

EDIT: cool idea for a thread by the way

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
"Grip Rock" was actually hard to ride and not everyone would do it? (does anyone know what this feature was? You all ride it on a daily basis. It used to be called this on Mtn. Creek's website.)

Upper breakout was hard?

The snow making pipes weren't covered with dirt.

Karpiel's, SC Super 8's, Big Hit's w/24's, Shiver DC's, Monster T's, Gazzi 3.0's and Azonic Love Seats were the thing to own?

When Poop Chute followed the fall line and your feet would rub the walls from washing out?

When Face Plant was on The Jack (5' drop onto the ski slope)?

Test Of Metal ran off of Lower Breakout? Skipping CDS and continuing down where Domboo is now?

Diablo would build more than one trail/feature a year?

The trails weren't groomed?

Deliverance ran past that stupid snow making pipe and came out above the Cheese wedges?

The Pallet drop?

When the US open wasn't a sellout, but locals who would compete?

US open was in the fall?

Last edited:

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
remember action park had the cannonball loop. i think someone drowned in it. Action park was super sketchy. They use to let you ski down the mountain in summer, wearing these mini snowmobile looking boots.

They had thes tanks that shot tennis balls.

Awesome.

mklie

Monkey
May 25, 2007
ok, this is too good. How about this one. Remember when there was no Gondola but a skate park with concrete bowls there and they bungie jump? How about the Playboy club, hey they would be a great prise for who won the race.

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
Remember when Morning Wood was a trail 90% of the "features" on it looked like they were built by a drunk gorilla

Junior

Chimp
Nov 3, 2008
Wantage
Old crap chute came out right above the hip before lower ripper?

Dominion was first built?

The phrase "Gazzi 3.0" says a lot in itself...

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
"Grip Rock" was actually hard to ride and not everyone would do it? (does anyone know what this feature was? You all ride it on a daily basis. It used to be called this on Mtn. Creek's website.)

Upper breakout was hard?

The snow making pipes weren't covered with dirt.

Karpiel's, SC Super 8's, Big Hit's w/24's, Shiver DC's, Monster T's, Gazzi 3.0's and Azonic Love Seats were the thing to own?

When Poop Chute followed the fall line and your feet would rub the walls from washing out?

Test Of Metal ran off of Lower Breakout? Skipping CDS and continuing down where Domboo is now?

Diablo would build more than one trail/feature a year?

Deliverance ran past that stupid snow making pipe and came out above the Cheese wedges?

The Pallet drop?

When the US open wasn't a sellout, but locals who would compete?

US open was in the fall?
What was grip rock?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
remember the old berm gap on 1st generation alpine. the old double going into morning wood.

remember the old start gate(it is still there)

remember when diablo rented sundays *after they rented big hits*

Remember Fat lip *its still there BTW*

*on a side note-deliverance is still ride able, if you know where to find it

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
When Shawn and I got along

Tempest was called dairy queen becuase if you took a right at the first berm after the 6 foot drop you would come out behind dairy queen.

When the go around to the flume drop was cool

Ripper wasn't so eroded.

People still rode

Hcor was home

Everyone and their cousin had a kona stinky

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007

Agreed. Twist isn't the same anymore.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Remember when: it was called Mountain Creek.......but the locals still called it Vernon Valley?

Remember when: Mountain Creek closed to biking mid-season in mid-2000?

Remember when: when the mountain reopened as Diablo Freeride Park in mid-2003?

Remember when: riding was weekends only, and the season was only Memorial-thru-Labor day?

Remember when: OTB to Breakout was "the easy way down"?

Remember when: Triple Drop to Evil Bob was "the hard way down?"

Remember when: Triple Drop had no ladder bridges?

Remember when: Alpine had no wall rides?

Remember when: Alpine didn't exist yet?

Remember when: Slayer started at the top of Lower Breakout?

Remember when: Waterboy was still 100% intact?

Remember when: People actually rode Deceit?

Remember when: you were allowed to ride ALL of BMW?

Remember when: well, what do YOU remember?
Do you remember in a previous life it was called Action Park?

AtomikMan

Chimp
Nov 12, 2007
United States of America
Do you remember in a previous life it was called Action Park?
Or...Accident Park...Traction Park...etc...

If you think there's a lot of injuries at Diablo? You should have seen Action Park in it's heyday.

My friend and I literally ran someone over (and proceded to drag/push them an additional 25') on the Alpine slide. Ah, the good ol' days.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Remember when they had a race in 99' and the night before all of the buildings burnt to the ground......

Remember when the DH series was called "The Kamikaze DH series" and was run by Fastrax...

Remember when Clayton Harper used to break his back laying 70% of the trail that still exists today....

Remember when they had an EastCoast Interbike at Mountain Creek....

Remember when they used to rent Specialized xc bikes for full-on DH runs and kids came back with Mauled up faces...

Last edited:

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
O ****, I just remembered morning wood and evil bob.

I also remember when people rode dirt merchant and fat lip. What about the rock drop going into the jack? What about the jack?

What about when bushwhack and exodus were connected?

What about the hip on alpine?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That was Rodney. It's still there, they just let it get overgrown and pushed dirt onto the line in.

Speaking of Slayer and Evil Bob, are those trailheads still there? I've been trying to keep my eyes open for them, but I always manage to miss them.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
That was Rodney. It's still there, they just let it get overgrown and pushed dirt onto the line in.

Speaking of Slayer and Evil Bob, are those trailheads still there? I've been trying to keep my eyes open for them, but I always manage to miss them.
I rode evil bob last week. Still lots of fun but needs work, slayer is still there and is in good ridable condition.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
O ****, I just remembered morning wood and evil bob.

I also remember when people rode dirt merchant and fat lip. What about the rock drop going into the jack? What about the jack?

What about when bushwhack and exodus were connected?

I still ride dirt merchant! Rode fat lip a few times last season as well, but I think staying on twist is more fun.

the jack is fun as hell too. Not sure which rock drop you're referring to, though. The only one I can think of is the little 3-4 footer to flat after you cross the ski slope.

Also, there's a sign for slayer now, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there last season.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
slayer is int the section of green horn where green horn and lower brake out meet. there is a rather large rock to the right once you enter that part of green horn (some people jump it, but it is a good sighn to lay on the breaks) and there is a sign marking slayer.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
I still ride dirt merchant! Rode fat lip a few times last season as well, but I think staying on twist is more fun.

the jack is fun as hell too. Not sure which rock drop you're referring to, though. The only one I can think of is the little 3-4 footer to flat after you cross the ski slope.

Also, there's a sign for slayer now, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't there last season.
The rock drop on twist was just as you came to the ski slope where it's just a mellow grade down & across the ski trail to the smaller 3-4 foot drop your talking about.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Yea man the entrance to Slayer is on Greenhorn. It's on the left right before the merge with Lower Breakout. Look for the sign on the left.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I ride Fat Lip & The Jack all the time. Especially Twist to The Jack to Domboo to ToM (or into lower Ripper)...maybe the best run on the mtn. A couple weeks back, Jack & I rode some of the old stuff and cleared out some trees that fell. They need some work but are still alive. All the newbs complain about the tech trails, but they used to be race courses in 99/00! Utah, Slayer, old Triple Drop, Dirt Merch all were raced on then.

-ska todd