Quantcast

A Down Hillers townie

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
So I know this might be out of place in this forum but I had to post it. This is my Pashley town bike, its a recreation of their 1933 race bike. I put a king head set on it aswell as paul brake levers an some brooks accsories. Also i found som 1940's wing nuts for the wheels to keep it as old school as possible. This thing is swwet it has a 68 degree head angle and is a blast to ride. This is my answer to all the fixie trends i am seeing around, freewheel and drum brakes and an old classic look. And one last thing the frame is made form reynolds 531 tubing.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I saw the bike on some of the Interbike coverage - beautiful frame. That would be a fun frame for my training rides in the park.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
sick bike, man! those wingnut dealy-o's are a very nice touch.

here's one of mine, a 1980 holdsworth special, reynolds tubing. owned it since '93. according to ronnie at marzocchi, the fork is 1 of 50 imported to the US...he claimed to have assembled all of them. i found the fork buried in the basement of a shop i wrenched at.

i've got another vintage road bike, but no pix yet. vintage bikes are way cooler than the latest fixie fad.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Those are some old school town bikes! Mines alittle newer, but atleast the headbadge is retro :P. Sweet and simple for commuting around campus and to work. Hopefully there are no moderator objections to posting it...

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
What about retro fixies? I ride Rory O'Reilly's old custom Schwinn Paramount track with Russian pursuit bars from when they defected in the 72 Long Beach Olympics. I should get pics.

retro fixies are cool. sounds like a nice bike...pics!
:cheers:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
mine:
Spooky road bike, not a fixie, just a single speed.

Spooky PitBoss single speed, fast rolling tires and higher gearing make it good for around town.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Last edited:

spliffy

Monkey
Dec 10, 2007
DURANGO Colorado
yea i saw that there to its sweet it has a 2 speed shlumpf drive crank set and a 2 spd kick back coaster brake hub. They dont know if they are going into production on them because retal would be around three grand but if they do i am going to sell mine and get one for sure. They were one of the coolest things i saw at interbike as soon as we got back we opened up an account for our shop.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My Sram Imotion 3 speed bike, mix or Tange prestige and truetemper tubing, soma bars, Raceface cranks. 17 pounds, clearance for cross tires front and rear. I used it a bunch this summer to preride xc race courses to heckle my team riders...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB

I could a different stem, some tape (asap), a saddle, and some pedals, but for now it's rideable. :cheers:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Can't stand fixie, and the working definition for a townie here is a bike you would leave outside a bar unlocked or race in the hardest, most prestegious race in AZ crusier nation. Now what ya got?

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
everything that has to be said on fixies has already been told HERE:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/
Yeah, I'm sure that leg shaving roadie is real keen on us downhill folks.

That dude needs to stop caring about what bikes people ride and for what reasons. Think of how much could be accomplished if he took that time and energy spent ranting about fixie riders and redirected it towards something worthwhile, like towards bicycle advocacy programs.

I'll have to throw up pictures of my super rad fuji "TRI" townie.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
OMG that video cracks me up. Those guys acctually seemed to have some pretty good fix push skills. They seemed to get better as the video went along was pretty funny watching them wall ride.

If you really want to ride a fix gear for the fun of it go for it, but the whole "hipster" scene here in Seattle that has picked it up is just a bit nuts, BUT atleast they are into bikes.

Ill post some pictures of some of the vintage bikes I have given a re-working to over the past few months. I will say messing with those old bikes has taught me a lot about wrenching on my DH rig (the real reason i ride anything) I will say I built my GF a cooler bar bike then mine. But Ill post that up later.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Some pretty sweet rides in this thread.

I've tried to go the roadie route for commuting...but I'm back to riding the big bike to work.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
vids kinda funny cept it misses the fact that track bikes are lighter, faster, and more fun and active than coasting, all key things to make fun of:twitch:

let the blood splatter:biggrin:
I've actually got no hate for fixies, I just think that the best part of riding a bike is the COAST....................................................................................................................................................................................................................

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
for speed...
Early 80's Nashiki frame/fork, 105 drivetrain, 80's Ambrosa hoops, Miche hubs
fixed @ 50x16

for sh!ts and giggles...
Kona Bikehotrod frame, custom fork, and the jockey shift is mated to a 3-speed Stormey Archer hub.

j2d013

Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
G' Vegas,SC
Holy sh!t ,those are some nice bikes, I just finished my commuter up last week. 1992 Trek 1200( Neon Yellow). New tire, new pedals, tape and bull horn bars. I will post pics this weekend. To stay w/ the DH I do have a Eastern 26 Slash....

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
this one's mine:

'04 Kona Stuff with '02 Marz Shiver 02, Thompson post and stem, EA70 bar, fi:zik Gobi, Maxxis Hookworms, cheapo drivetrain, Deore hydraulic brakes...

saddle up and it's almost xc-like, saddle down and it's a nice little thrasher.

the stem is a tad long, but this is from the times it served as my xc/am -rig