Quantcast

A few drive train Q's

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok whats better Sram X.O rear derailleur and shifters or 2002 shimano XTR rear derailleur and XT shifters?

Also is an LX a good crankset?

Whats the best strongest best shifting chain?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
Ok whats better Sram X.O rear derailleur and shifters or 2002 shimano XTR rear derailleur and XT shifters?

didn't we already go through all this buddy? :rolleyes:

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore

1) The only difference i can think of is the shifters, doesnt sram only make gripshift, maybe weight too.

2) don't know

3)the best IMO is SRAM PC-99

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya it's just i can't deside about XO or shimano.
Do you ever find that on technicle terrain you shift when using grip shifters but you didn't mean to.?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Ya it's just i can't deside about XO or shimano.
Do you ever find that on technicle terrain you shift when using grip shifters but you didn't mean to.?
the only gripshift i've ever used was on a walmart bike, but yeah, sometimes it shifted by itself, but then again it was $2 shifters :D

Personally, i would go w/shimano, but only because that's all ive ever used. The XO looks cool though, i saw it at a race.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by pat873401

the only gripshift i've ever used was on a walmart bike, but yeah, sometimes it shifted by itself, but then again it was $2 shifters :D

Personally, i would go w/shimano, but only because that's all ive ever used. The XO looks cool though, i saw it at a race.
Ya i saw it at a race and it so sexy! My bike would look so nice with it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
depends on whether or not you know hwo to ride w/ grip shift, if you've never had the stuff and say you got the half pipes you might accidently shift from time to time. so iono whether or not you will accidently shift, you might though......

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
1 - xt shifters. I hate grip shift for the riding I do. Too much hand movement. Try it. If you like it buy it, if not don't.

2 - I like raceface

3 - Sachs is the best and strongest chain

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I'm preety sure i'll go Sram XO cause i had grip shift on my Specailized P3 and they were great even though they were cheap crappy 10 $ ones from cambria bike. I found they shifted better than shimano and i had a deore derailleur.

Also indieboy do you run full length grips with your shifters or shorter ones?

Ow and how do you like Hutchinson Misquito UST tires for spring mud and stuff?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
I'm preety sure i'll go Sram XO cause i had grip shift on my Specailized P3 and they were great even though they were cheap crappy 10 $ ones from cambria bike. I found they shifted better than shimano and i had a deore derailleur.

Also indieboy do you run full length grips with your shifters or shorter ones?

Ow and how do you like Hutchinson Misquito UST tires for spring mud and stuff?
i run the half pipes (the longer ones). they work well in my opinion, allow me to keep my hands on the end of the bar and be able to shift and brake. i dunno though i've had ppl tell me they didn't like those shifters b/c they felt like they had less control b/c they were consistently accidently shifting, which is all a personal preference. if you've run the short shifters on another bike then i'd stay get the shorties. i like the misquito's a lot, i normally use them in muddy conditions, but then i know ppl who HATE them in mud and prefer to use the scropion's. however i like to run a misqutio in the rear w/ a phyton up front in dry conditions, works pretty well actually.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya my friend has a Norco VPS Buzz with the halfpipe and i hate them. I think sram would also be good cause i've heard it's really easy to change cables with them which i like. I've never shifted by mistake with shortys and i think you can shifter faster with them than shimano.

Which are better on wet roots and rocks misquitos or sqorpions?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by pat873401
The python is hutchinsons dry tire, the mosquito is the wet conditions tire, and the scorpion is the in between tire.
not necessarly.......the phytons do great in dry, i ride them in the mud from time to time. the scorpion was actually designed to be an east coast nasty as **** muddy n rooty condition tire.....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i'm in the nasty ass east so i geuss the sqorpions should be perfect.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well i'm in the nasty ass east so i geuss the sqorpions should be perfect.
i don't know if they make the 1.7's in ust but if they do i'd get a set of the 2.o's for regular stuff and a 1.7 for SUPER muddy stuff.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
AAKK i hate skinny tires i'll only ride 2.0'' minimum period..

On another topic would this be a good idea to get a cheap LX crank for the spring and if i wreck it on a rock or something happens i than get a nice new 2003 Truvativ Stylo team in gold it would look awsome.
Also should i just keep the crank arms that are on my cannondale ex3 the reveiws say they're a peice. I don't know if they flex much i weight 162LBS and i should be around 150LBS by next year.
They have some grooves near the pedals from sliding on rocks.
Should i just keep them and get some really nice chainring they're 5bolt.

Ow and do you like Shimano M221 shoes they're the best shimano makes and i'd get the 2003 model.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
AAKK i hate skinny tires i'll only ride 2.0'' minimum period..

On another topic would this be a good idea to get a cheap LX crank for the spring and if i wreck it on a rock or something happens i than get a nice new 2003 Truvativ Stylo team in gold it would look awsome.
Also should i just keep the crank arms that are on my cannondale ex3 the reveiws say they're a peice. I don't know if they flex much i weight 162LBS and i should be around 150LBS by next year.
They have some grooves near the pedals from sliding on rocks.
Should i just keep them and get some really nice chainring they're 5bolt.

Ow and do you like Shimano M221 shoes they're the best shimano makes and i'd get the 2003 model.
i don't think you'll do any harm to a set of lx cranks.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well i won't wreck the cranks just the big chainring that i grind on rocks with.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Well i won't wreck the cranks just the big chainring that i grind on rocks with.
lol sounds like someone needs to ride a little bit more smoothly.... :cool: :devil: :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Come riding on the trail i did it on and you'll see why.;)
if you say so lol, i've ridden some scary stuff and never bent or trashed a chainring.....but i always like a high bb height.....