Quantcast

A forum rant...

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I find myself reading the forum less and less. I don't even read the MTBR forums at all because of the idiotic messages that get posted. I know I am not a good speller, but I do try to make the effort of proof reading my posts. The "Ebonics English" is not cool and it makes messages impossible to comprehend. Also, there many simple topics that can be answered by using the search feature yet people continue forget it. I know I sound elitist and I know I was a newbie at one time but I missed the days when RM was not excepting new members. However, there are a few exceptions my disliking of the newbies. The knowledgeable few, who understand the forum rules and understand how forums work, I thank you.

P.S.

Can we require a minimum number of message post amount to be able place an ad in the buy/sell forum? I think this might help cut down on the bad sellers.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
wow, its nice to see im not the only one that thinks that "Ebonics English" is annoying as hell. :angry:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Carbon Fetish said:
Can we require a minimum number of message post amount to be able place an ad in the buy/sell forum? I think this might help cut down on the bad sellers.
This is worth looking into.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Carbon Fetish said:
Also, there many simple topics that can be answered by using the search feature yet people continue forget it.
I don't think they forget, they are just plain lazy and want someone else to do the work for them. But of course, that's what smart ass answers are for :evil:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Carbon Fetish said:
Love this idea, and i will take some of the blame for having bad grammar. I put some of the blame on AIM it really made my typing skills go down the drain... :nope:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Carbon Fetish said:
Best idea of the week. :thumb:

I do the same thing on a personal basis- if I am not familiar with a poster, I simply don't do business with them. I don't care whether I like them or not, but I have to see that they have established a reputation here and have some sort of vested interest in the site.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Carbon Fetish said:
I'm not sure security can be configured that way, although it sounds like a good idea to me. The only problem I see with that is the same problem we saw with the minimum post count required for an avatar: People will post useless comments all over the site just to get their post counts up. THAT is annoying as hell.

As far as the dumb threads go, I usually stick to threads started by a friend or someone I'm familiar with. Call it what you want, I just don't have time to read every thread out there.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Over on that Jeep forum, I noticed that they had an FAQ sticky. The title is "New to the forum? Please read" or something.

And then it lists answers to all of the painfully repetitive questions.

Here you could have:

* Sportworks is the best hitch rack
* Please email Evil bikes directly for answers to your questions
* Yes, Acadian IS just that sexy
* 888 is the best fork EVER, until the Fox DH fork comes out
* Rootbeer bullits are sweet
* Jeep Libertys are extremely manly vehicles

...and so forth....

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I Are Baboon said:
I'm not sure security can be configured that way, although it sounds like a good idea to me. The only problem I see with that is the same problem we saw with the minimum post count required for an avatar: People will post useless comments all over the site just to get their post counts up. THAT is annoying as hell.

As far as the dumb threads go, I usually stick to threads started by a friend or someone I'm familiar with. Call it what you want, I just don't have time to read every thread out there.
As you can see, I haven't posted here much, but I have lurked for a long time. I agree with Baboon.

I imagine as these forums get more and more popular, we'll experience more ebonics and bad seller complaints. Some days I can barely look at MTBR. But I gotta remember when I started MTBing in the early 80s, the internet wasn't even a thought and information was hard to come by. Look at what we have now. I can know if some dude halfway across the world is scratching his butt.

I love the free buy and sell feature here and would hate to have it taken away. I have bought and sold a number of things off this site. I get addresses and phone numbers and talk directly to the sellers and, if needed, their parents.

And as for the bad spelling and grammer, well, there's a lot of posts I don't read and a lot of posters I know to ignore.

It's all good. I do pretty good self-moderating.

I hear what y'all are saying, but please don't shut the (hopefully) decent majority out just to deal with the few squeaky wheels.

Thanks. Let's go ride.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I Are Baboon said:
As an impartial viewer I read that statement, but then saw........

IAB's Posts: 15,519 and was like :think:

:nuts:

The whole internet ebonics thing should be banished forever, but I do love the use of smiley's in conversation. :mumble:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
Come on Phil face it, you have no life just like me :eek: ;) :)
Actually this forum allows us to have a "life" at work... so actually we're doing better than most people who aren't able to have a life during work. :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stosh said:
Actually this forum allows us to have a "life" at work... so actually we're doing better than most people who aren't able to have a life during work. :)
I never thought of it that way....................but then again I'm not posting when I'm working :think:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
I never thought of it that way....................but then again I'm not posting when I'm working :think:
Sorry, than maybe you are right and you dont' have a life.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Brian HCM#1 said:
I've hit rock bottom :dead:
It's not worth going on any longer....

Carbon Fetish is going to be mad at us for changing the topic....

J

JRB

Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats ok, I'm just holding down the fort till dhgirlie can completely derail this post;)

I'll make it bike related by telling you that the hub is rolling a little better now.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I Are Baboon said:
Yeah, and you wonder why he doesn't post here anymore, ya bastards.
I'm not derailing, I'm just keeping this topic at the top.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
me too CS i hate people. I'm always like shut ******* before i kick your butt. or give me those cookies kid, i dont care if your 4 i'll kick your butt. or like give me that 40 old lady, i dont care if your like 90 i'll still kick your butt. there needs to be more butt kicking in this world. I'll hand them out for free if needed, and they are, just PM me.
t

J

JRB

The Toninator said:
me too CS i hate people. I'm always like shut ******* before i kick your butt. or give me those cookies kid, i dont care if your 4 i'll kick your butt. or like give me that 40 old lady, i dont care if your like 90 i'll still kick your butt. there needs to be more butt kicking in this world. I'll hand them out for free if needed, and they are, just PM me.
t

Dude - I think it is your grammar that he is talking about.

J

JRB

mtnbkr4235 said:
Nope, I was just a bit surprised that for someone who has such a huge life at work you didnt already know that you ca use one word followed by a smiley. ;)

It's :stosh:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The Toninator said:
thread killer. i actually like CS and you ran him off. *******. your totally DISRESPECTING that dude.
I wasn't disrespecting him.
I like the guy! He's got some sick bikes too!