Quantcast

a good day to ride

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So my hubby and I are on our 1 month riding trip around NM, CO, and Utah. After a 13 hour drive up from Austin yesterday, we spent the morning bombing down the South Boundary trail near Taos, NM with our DH bikes. It was so gorgeous!!! It is awesome to be back in the mountains. We stayed the night with a frog-afficionado friend who lives in this old, rennovated adobe schoolhouse and woke up to the most beautiful blue sky and crisp weather we have had in a while.

But the DH was awesome! Last year, my first year riding mountain bikes, my hubby took me on the trail and I remember being so flustered and frustrated and hating that he'd have to stop after all the rock gardens and wait for me. But this year, I was all over it! I loved it sooo much and it was an awesome way to start off our trip (now we are sipping on frozen mochas in a cool cafe/greenhouse).

Anybody else have an awesome ride-day??

Next stop: Monarch Trail, Poncha Springs, CO

Full details (and fotos in the future): http://www.wickedchickenz.com/blogs/index.php

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
I have to work *sulk*.

But your day sounds fabulous. Downhill and iced mochas....ahhh, bliss. :)

But question: frog afficiando???

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
yeah. He has this incredible collection of (live) exotic frogs and various frog-related nicknacks -- tasteful, with a hint of masculinity ;) . And he had me hold one of the frogs, a White's Tree frog, i think it was called. I am not much of a frog person, but it was a really pretty frog (when I was little, we lived in MD, and every summer these tiny little green tree frogs hid under the doorknobs outside -- everytime you went to open the door, you'd gently squish the little guys and it was pretty creepy feeling, so I think I subliminally think they are creepy).

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
mohshee said:
Anybody else have an awesome ride-day??

A 1 month riding trip....LUCKY!

It was opening weekend at Keystone, rode Saturday and Sunday all day...it was incredible! Crashed super duper hard towards the end of the day on Saturday and it took me out for the rest of the day but was able to get back on the bike and ride Sunday (with the help of alot of Ibuprophen).

Keystone is an awesome place to ride...and if you have or know anyone that has a Colorado Pass from this year's winter season, it's buy on get one free for the whole season....that's $14.50 each to ride all day long!!! Can't beat that!

If anyone is planning on riding at Keystone, let me know and I'll meet you there and get you in at $14.50!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my weekend was a spectacular weekend of riding.
friday night started with just riding this trail behind our house filled with berms and such.
saturday hiked and did some snowboarding.
yesterday got up and shuttled some downhill runs in the morning and then raced bmx in the afternoon. then had a beer before passing out of exhaustion.
i'm glad i moved away from the northeast where crappy weather could make or break your weekend.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
weimie said:
If anyone is planning on riding at Keystone, let me know and I'll meet you there and get you in at $14.50!
Keystone is one of the stops on our epic trip. The current plan has us riding there on July 11th but from what I've heard about it we might decide to spend 2 days there and either skip breckenridge or vail or just skip the Snow Mass race we had intended on finishing the trip with.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
TBFKAHG said:
Keystone is one of the stops on our epic trip. The current plan has us riding there on July 11th but from what I've heard about it we might decide to spend 2 days there and either skip breckenridge or vail or just skip the Snow Mass race we had intended on finishing the trip with.
If you guys will be there on a weekend in July it would be cool to hook up and ride together.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
mohshee said:
yeah. He has this incredible collection of (live) exotic frogs and various frog-related nicknacks -- tasteful, with a hint of masculinity ;) . And he had me hold one of the frogs, a White's Tree frog, i think it was called. I am not much of a frog person, but it was a really pretty frog (when I was little, we lived in MD, and every summer these tiny little green tree frogs hid under the doorknobs outside -- everytime you went to open the door, you'd gently squish the little guys and it was pretty creepy feeling, so I think I subliminally think they are creepy).
I ran over a frog on my first lap at the hardcore24 this weekend :ouch:

Sounds like you had a great weekend of riding too :thumb:

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
so I have never had to ride over a large snow drift before, but at the Monarch Crest in Poncha Springs, CO, there were quite a few up at 11000 ft. We were told to stay on the trail no matter what, even if that meant scaling the drifts. You'd hop off your bike and tread across the drift in the general vicinity of where you thought the trail was. But at the edge of the drift, there'd be like a 6 - 7 foot drop to the ground. I kind of, haphazardly, led the way down the first one. I sat on my butt and slid down the drop and my bike landed on my head :rolleyes: -- but then I was able to help everyone else down by taking their bikes for them. The scenery was pretty incredible. Here are some picts.

(forgive me this simple pleasure -- snow is not a likely event in central TX!)