Quantcast

A little stoke.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
TNT is trinitrotoluene, C6H2(NO2)3CH3 as a chemical formula. Well known for it's explosive properties, it is commonly used in industrial and military applications. In other words, it's THE BOMB.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
gotta put a little disclaimer here....i'm pretty much clueless with the photo thing but i'm learning....alot of out of focus shots, and apparently i've got alot to learn about lighting.....if any seasoned photo vets wanna step in with some advice i'd appreciate it....i got alot of pics with flash for fill light in the sun that turned out quite blurry....my camera only flash syncs to 1/200th so that doesn't help....buuut.....i was mostly shooting at 1/200th f8-10 depending on sun/clouds and ISO 100.....full power flash.... any tips to avoid crap like these photos i've attached???? the first one came is nice with no motion, but once i shot the rider moving with the same settings it came out really blurred.....

it seemed that any faster shots were blurred....i figured with full power flash it should freeze the image, but the fastest i can really set my shutter to is 1/200th....the shots i took with no flash(3rd pic) and 1/600th shutter came out fine.....any tips or do i need a camera with a faster flash sync??

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
gotta put a little disclaimer here....i'm pretty much clueless with the photo thing but i'm learning....alot of out of focus shots, and apparently i've got alot to learn about lighting.....if any seasoned photo vets wanna step in with some advice i'd appreciate it....i got alot of pics with flash for fill light in the sun that turned out quite blurry....my camera only flash syncs to 1/200th so that doesn't help....buuut.....i was mostly shooting at 1/200th f8-10 depending on sun/clouds and ISO 100.....full power flash.... any tips to avoid crap like these photos i've attached???? the first one came is nice with no motion, but once i shot the rider moving with the same settings it came out really blurred.....

it seemed that any faster shots were blurred....i figured with full power flash it should freeze the image, but the fastest i can really set my shutter to is 1/200th....the shots i took with no flash(3rd pic) and 1/600th shutter came out fine.....any tips or do i need a camera with a faster flash sync??
I'm no professional photographer anything but I play with my D40 every now and then. When taking a picture where someone is moving fast like that, try following with them the camera. The background will be blurry but the rider will be clear.

Here's a sloppy example my brother took of me on our pirate trails.

This is in low lighting with no flash, don't know the shutter speed or anything, it was probably just set to auto.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Ian: What flash are you using? Flashes have a slower flash duration at high power and some flash's duration at high power may be too slow to freeze the subject.

Do a google search with your flash's name +"flash duration".

ie. a Canon 580EX has a flash duration of 1/833 secs at 1/1 (full) and a flash duration of ~1/1,900 secs at 1/2 power. This tells me that if I have the flash on full power in order to overpower the sun, the shots may be a little blurry as 1/833sec may not be fast enough to freeze fast moving object.

Your options would be to dial the power down and open your aperture to compensate. However, as you are already shooting at ISO100 and are already shooting at your camera's sync speed, you may have to ditch the flash idea and shoot natural when you are in those same conditions.

Get into some shade and have a play.

Best advise I was given: Aperture controls flash, shutter speed controls ambient.

Also, go easy on the post production.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's hard to use a flash to "freeze" your subject in direct sunlight.

You are going to need to shoot faster than 1/200 to get rid of blur on a subject moving across the frame that fast.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Very Nice Fred..... Been too long since we seen you abouts...... You gonna be at the next Fontana?
Maybe, depends on how I'm riding. Don't want to drop down from Cat 1 but no point in racing Cat 1 if I'm riding how I ride now, I'd definitely get caught and hold some one up. Might show up to watch or something though. And giving enough recovery time I'll be up to speed again.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Dude, Ronald McDonald left his lunch on your shirt. Might want to clean that up.:(
Ha, Matt's funny, and so are his kits. :rofl:
But next time you feel like pulling out your fashion police badge, at least make it humorous for the rest of us.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
It's hard to use a flash to "freeze" your subject in direct sunlight.

You are going to need to shoot faster than 1/200 to get rid of blur on a subject moving across the frame that fast.

You can shoot a bit faster than 1/200, even without one of the fancy new wireless triggers with high speed sync. Basically all that happens is the shutter blocks part of the flash from hitting the sensor, and with a canon this happens along the bottom of the frame. You can get around this by composing your shot so the subject is above the part that gets blocked. 1/350 should be pretty easy to achieve but 1/500 might be blocking too much of the rider. Check out Ian Hylands website ( www.ianhylands.com ) for some good lighting tips.

Also can you move the flash any closer? Then maybe power it down and bump up the ISO

You most likely need to pan with the rider or shoot more front-on

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
yeaaa i miss those boys! kyle the rider in black is fast. matti is amazing and good to see him out riding. those buggers better be at the us open...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
yeaaa i miss those boys! kyle the rider in black is fast. matti is amazing and good to see him out riding. those buggers better be at the us open...
They'll be there, it's all Matt can talk about. Wish I could make it too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Maybe, depends on how I'm riding. Don't want to drop down from Cat 1 but no point in racing Cat 1 if I'm riding how I ride now, I'd definitely get caught and hold some one up. Might show up to watch or something though. And giving enough recovery time I'll be up to speed again.
Well, I will be out at the next one, wont be racing, not sure how long I will be able to stay, so I will probably show up on teh scooter in teh bike shop attire< ended up dedicated to work sundays for the summer>

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
good because the last i heard from matti was that he didnt even have the money to register! but he might just be scared :rofl:
I'm pretty sure he's got it all together. And I've been putting a little fear in his head about the east coast. Rocks, roots, and maybe wet.... us Cali kids ain't used to that.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Well, I will be out at the next one, wont be racing, not sure how long I will be able to stay, so I will probably show up on teh scooter in teh bike shop attire< ended up dedicated to work sundays for the summer>
Pretty sure I have a show the night of the next race, but if not I'll try and make it out.