Quantcast

A medium M1 without the suck?

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I was just thinking about what I would get for a proper DH bike if I had a sack of cash today.

I would want a bike that rode EXACTLY like a meduim M1 only without the suck. No mis-aligned frame, no snapping shocks, no cracking the head-tube, replacable der. hanger, proper rear-axle system.

Does such a bike exist?

My second choice would be to just have my DH-9 back. :nopity:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'm in the same boat, any bike that rides like my old M1 I will buy in a matter of days.

The Azonic looks like an M1, but does not ride like one.

Since everyone is so crazy about the Sunday, that might just be it.

p.s. Demo8's do not ride like M1's at all.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I thought too a SGS rides about the same. Dont know for sure though.
They sure do look a lot uglier than the M1.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Dear Intense:

Please bring the M1 back, I miss it and so do a lot of my friends. Just address the one or two small issues and it will continue to be the best DH bike ever. I promise to buy one every three years or so. Thanks!

zark

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
sayndesyn said:
That Norco does look pretty damn close... Other than the monocoque obviously.
Not really.
But even if it did, more important is that he's looking for a bike which rides the same as the M1 rather than looking the same.

If you check out the angles of the linkages and the shock I'd say all the lookalikes have the angle of the shock is too vertical instead of horizontal like on the M1.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Maybe the 07 KHS? Couple of the guys have been racing FSR protos. David K said it felt like and M1 with the FSR link.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
I was just thinking about what I would get for a proper DH bike if I had a sack of cash today.

I would want a bike that rode EXACTLY like a meduim M1 only without the suck. No mis-aligned frame, no snapping shocks, no cracking the head-tube, replacable der. hanger, proper rear-axle system.

Does such a bike exist?
I dont think so... and this is probably why M-1's in good condition seem to bring decent money on Ebay right now. I rode an M-3 around a bit and while it doesn't feel bad, it didn't have the same "pop" my old M-1 did. Adding an Avy w/ ti spring helped that frame a LOT. I never should have sold that frame. :rolleyes:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DukeNukem3d said:
Not really.
But even if it did, more important is that he's looking for a bike which rides the same as the M1 rather than looking the same.

If you check out the angles of the linkages and the shock I'd say all the lookalikes have the angle of the shock is too vertical instead of horizontal like on the M1.
What effect does this have on the bike (eg, Norcos, SGS, etc) riding more or less like an M1? M1s use a 9.5x3.0, don't they?

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
I think placing the shock under different angles certainly will cause the shock to respond differently. A shock mounted more vertical will react very different from a shock which is horizontal. On single pivots this makes major difference, I am sure it will on a 4bar as well but I can imagine less compared to a SP.

blue said:
What effect does this have on the bike (eg, Norcos, SGS, etc) riding more or less like an M1? M1s use a 9.5x3.0, don't they?
Not all, only the most recent ones had. From the 02 they did but the 01 and earlier had 8.75 shocks.
By the way, the 9.5" shock gave the frame 9" travel and the 8.75" gave it 8" if I remember correctly.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DukeNukem3d said:
Not all, only the most recent ones had. From the 02 they did but the 01 and earlier had 8.75 shocks.
By the way, the 9.5" shock gave the frame 9" travel and the 8.75" gave it 8" if I remember correctly.
Hmm...so how will shock placement affect the ride of an FSR bike?

I've only spent about 20 mins on an M1, and currently own an SGS, but I couldn't really tell a difference in the way they rode, but I'm not terribly picky about how my rear wheel squishes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
DukeNukem3d said:
I think placing the shock under different angles certainly will cause the shock to respond differently. A shock mounted more vertical will react very different from a shock which is horizontal. On single pivots this makes major difference, I am sure it will on a 4bar as well but I can imagine less compared to a SP.
This is true...a Horst/FSR isn't very different from a single pivot in regards to pedaling/rear suspension action, is it? I thought the only benefit to the Horst was braking.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
What's with Australians and norco? I would just like to point out to the world that every 2nd guy here is on a norco. WHY? This isn't canada. The conditions are totally different. Norcos ride like poo unless at least 90% of your riding is on 2x4s.

J5ive said:

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Have you ridden the azonic? I'd like to hear about the differences between the m1/azonic/demo. Start typing. (keeping in mind that I don't trust anyone who doesn't like the AS-X)

bikenweed said:
I'm in the same boat, any bike that rides like my old M1 I will buy in a matter of days.

The Azonic looks like an M1, but does not ride like one.

Since everyone is so crazy about the Sunday, that might just be it.

p.s. Demo8's do not ride like M1's at all.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well what's funny is it seems some random M1's came out with replaceable hangers, while the majority you'll see don't have them. Go figure.

I love the way my Intense feels. That's the only reason I bought a M1. If you ride the bike like it is (a race frame, NOT a huck/drop frame) it rewards you nicely. And with the right setup on the 5th it pedals pretty well.

Was it Astrix? that had a pretty good carbon-copy of the M1 design? I think if I had to pick a frame for VPP or 4-bar I'd probably look into any one of the top DH frames out there. The Demo is probably one of the more seen 4-bar setups and the M3/V-10 have the VPP dialed.

Intense is a funny company because they dropped everything they made before (all 4-bar stuff) and made everything they produce now VPP. It's like they can't make their mind up on what they want to run for a suspension design. In a couple years some how 4-bar stuff will come back and VPP will be in the shadow unless this newer lower leverage stuff takes off (like the Foes 2:1 bikes).

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Spunger said:
Intense is a funny company because they dropped everything they made before (all 4-bar stuff) and made everything they produce now VPP. It's like they can't make their mind up on what they want to run for a suspension design. In a couple years some how 4-bar stuff will come back and VPP will be in the shadow unless this newer lower leverage stuff takes off (like the Foes 2:1 bikes).
word on the street is that the change had to do with licensing costs.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
What's with Australians and norco? I would just like to point out to the world that every 2nd guy here is on a norco. WHY? This isn't canada. The conditions are totally different. Norcos ride like poo unless at least 90% of your riding is on 2x4s.
Up until this year, you would be right. The new DH team, like the one pictured there, has very standard DH race geometry. In the configuration I have mine, it's a 14 inch bb and 64 degree head angle. The large has a 23.5 inch top tube and pretty standard wheel base. The old ones were steep and short and less than ideal for anything fast. I came off a V10 from last year and it was not a difficult transition to the norco. It also weighs 41.5 the way I have it set up.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Xtension/Azonic Recoil (not being rebadged by Azonic anymore).

I rode a large M1 for a couple years and the 18" Recoil I'm now riding is even better than the M1. This isn't hard because all the quality issues that Intense is famous for plus my hackness made the bike the suck (albiet a very fast one), but overall the Azonic is definately in the same league as far as feel. The only difference being that an 18" Recoil is a little shorter than a large m1 and a little longer than a medium m1 (which I like). Also, I've found that you need to run the bike in the lower BB settings (with a 9.0x2.75 romic, a 8.75"x2.75" size would work and give you more usable IMHO shock linkage positions) and I don't think it would be wise to run anything longer than a 7" travel front fork since I wouldn't want to be much slacker and as it is I'm running an 05 Dorado.

If you could somehow get your hands on an Extension frame that would be the way to go. The Azonic Gravity is completely different. Not at all bad, and actually if you ride one it doesn't feel half bad for a race bike despite the crazy un-sagged geometry, but its nothing like an M1

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
blue said:
What effect does this have on the bike (
Significantly less than two tenths of f*ck all.

Shock angle? Pffft. The *only* way it could have any conceivable effect on suspension action is if you consider the momentum of the spring and it's direction relative to the myriad of other moving parts on the bike. And it's mass, relative to the rest of the bike/rider system is puny - no effect.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
A lot of people ride those over Demos because the geo is the same and they're lighter. They seem pretty cool, maybe with a shorter shock they could be even better. Maybe SPrider will chime in, I'm pretty sure he's on one of those right now.

J

J5ive

SirChomps-a-Lot said:
What is it with every 2nd guy being a f&ckhead and thinking they're above riding a norco? Then they jump on an IH, Giant, Spec, or similar bike and somehow think they are on a higher quality machine? Its all the same **** coming from the same places. I will admit the 05 geo was buggered, but the 06 is a different bike from the past and the numbers speak for themselves.

14.2" bb, 65 ha. 43lbs as in the pic (big tyres and DH tubes). Should get it sub 40 with a few changes.

Hella mint.

The bighit 3 is a great bike too. But for 2K more (aussie dollars), you get RC2, Hadley hubs, XO, Holzfella, e13, 5050s and sain t brakes. Not a hard choice if you have the money.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Demo's do NOT ride like M1's at all. I made the mistake of thinking they would be similar, and they are not. The rear end of the Demo is way shorter, shorter than the M1 in the short position. I hate this, but you might like it. The front triangle is kinda goofy. The bike is long, but has a short top tube, and seat tube isn't as laid back as the M1. I like to corner sitting down some times, and the M1 did that a lot better than the Demo. The Demo is pretty much a goofy glorified freeride beast, while the M1 is a refined race machine.

I'd like to try the Azonic or something, but that steep seat tube scares me. That and it's like $1500 or something for the frame. That's still not cheap. Would a new V10 ride like yer old DH9?

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
benno said:
Significantly less than two tenths of f*ck all.

Shock angle? Pffft. The *only* way it could have any conceivable effect on suspension action is if you consider the momentum of the spring and it's direction relative to the myriad of other moving parts on the bike. And it's mass, relative to the rest of the bike/rider system is puny - no effect.
How about progression. The angle of the shock relative to the actuating link dictates how progressive the actuation of the shock will be. The other links in the suspension system have some affect on how progressive the bike is, but the angle of the shock makes a difference too. That's why some bikes, like Specialized Bighits, allow you to change the angle of the shock to adjust how progressive they are. The M1 had the shock in a position that made it much more progressive than some other bikes that are being compared here.

DukeNukem3d

Monkey
Oct 4, 2004
Exactly what he said.

On a single pivot is certainly is noticable so I would not exclude this from a horst link. Now, the problem is, the angles of the spreading of 'square' which makes the 4 bar linkage can be quite different but it may get about the same feeling on the bike, I dont know about that.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
stgil888 said:
How about progression. The angle of the shock relative to the actuating link dictates how progressive the actuation of the shock will be. The other links in the suspension system have some affect on how progressive the bike is, but the angle of the shock makes a difference too. That's why some bikes, like Specialized Bighits, allow you to change the angle of the shock to adjust how progressive they are. The M1 had the shock in a position that made it much more progressive than some other bikes that are being compared here.
I call BS. First off the M1 was redesigned more linear to take advantage of progressive shocks. M1's are progressive of the 5th. SGS DH bikes actually are more progressive than M1's.

LittleBIGjumP

Monkey
Jul 15, 2006
Gold Coast OZ
I rode my M1 the other day, it was fun. If I could have discs it would be the ride. 97 model no discs........oh well, I too am interested in what will be similar, Lookin at 303, M3 ?

LBJ

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
Does anyone here want kyle straits old Haro DHR werks. Its the same thing as an intense M1 only with thinner walls so thats its lighter for racing. PM me with interest. it is for sale in complete bikes. but i do not want to sell it ocmplete.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Does anyone here want kyle straits old Haro DHR werks. Its the same thing as an intense M1 only with thinner walls so thats its lighter for racing. PM me with interest. it is for sale in complete bikes. but i do not want to sell it ocmplete.
Didn't you just buy that?

What's wrong with it? :brow: