Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Hey,
I break my head of what to buy... I thought on the:
888RC2X 2006
Manitou Travis Triple Ti 06
Fox 40R 06

I ride DH, not drops... I care mostly about relibility and a good work in DH. And does the Travis make trouble like all the other manitous?

Thanks!

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i rode my travis triple ti all season almost every weeekend without a single problem, it felt amazing right out of the box to boot. You can pick them up super cheap online right now.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
40- great race fork
888- ramps up better than 40, which is nicer for harder landings and drops
I have heard, from friends and internet, the manipoo start not feeling good after a month, gets all sticky and starts to suck like a manipoo

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
my 888 has been nice since i got it, havnt had to change anything. i also havnt bottomed it, like i kinda landed completely on the nose off a 10 footer and it was crazy smooth. my friends 40 was nice but now it kinda needs an oil change but he doesnt think so and it feels kinda bad. i've heard you can also dent the stanchions on a 40 pretty easily cuz of their thickness, any truth to this?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The Travis Intrinsic cartridges started blowing up on bigger people, so Manitou will replace your cart with a TPC+ until they fix Intrinsic.

Brand new TPC+ 34mm 8 inch fork for 510$ brand new is not a bad deal...

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
mmm... i dont race, so its pretty much between the Travis and the 888... the Travis cost less, so I dunn know...

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I have four travis, all at different manufactured date including a pre-prod and an 07 proto. They work. I know some peeps blew some cartridges bec they failed to recognize they were running a softer spring rate than they should and overloads the CID cartridge. Of course when that kinda sh*t happens, the product gets sh*tfaced for being the one at fault. If you are heavier than 180lbs, DO NOT RUN stock spring, go up tp stiff spring and back out the compression. But whatever.... go buy White bros or something.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
you know, i think that if i had a ton of money to spend, the fork i'd buy would be a 888 world cup. imo, they look the best and marzocchi has been the best value for me. if you don't want to spend over $1000 though, the manitou travis triple would be great. i have been riding my 180mm intrinsic for 9 months now. out of the box, it performs well, but has to break in significantly. the only real issue is the stiction, but it is gone after like 20-25 hours of riding. i made the stiction minimal for the first 20 hours that mine took to bed in by wrapping a rag soaked in tri flow around the stanchions. my racing friend said something about how stanchions are pourous and you can wrap a rag soaked in lube around 'em. believe me, it works. the intrinsic has performed very well for me so far, but i'm like 145 lbs, so the exploding of cartridges might just be for larger riders. the fork has very few adjustments, just compression and rebound, but that is really all you need with the intrinsic dampning. my last marzocchi had all the adjustments imaginable, but on the travis, the intrinsic dampning takes of everything. the most noticeable thing on this fork is how well it corners. it's amazing.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Get the 888. I have the 40RC and after about a year and half of riding I blew the rebound cartridge and have replaced the seals twice. I don't race but ride Whistler and the other Shore trails alot. I'm pretty light ~145lbs, although not the smoothest rider. Several of my riding buddies have 888's and go way faster/bigger than I do and have had zero issues with their forks.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
its a tough desition, i dont want to cross the 1K, so i cant get the boxxer wc or the 888wc, in my country the manitou service is pretty sh*tty, i dont trust them at all. that's why i need to be sure before i buy the Travis...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Ohh snap. Two seal changes in 1.5years of riding? Especially in the Pac NW that is nothing to complain about bro.
Err yeah, I think you missed the bit about the blown damper cartridge...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
its a tough desition, i dont want to cross the 1K, so i cant get the boxxer wc or the 888wc, in my country the manitou service is pretty sh*tty, i dont trust them at all. that's why i need to be sure before i buy the Travis...
Where do you live?

Out of any DH fork on the market, the Boxxer Team is probably the easiest to work on if you have issues.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
I've been rracing my 06 travis triple since april with no issues what-so-ever. I weigh 180lbs and used the stock springs as well. This is definitly the best feeling fork and the most reliable that I have ever ridden. Manitou sorted there stuff out when they made this fork for sure.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i just got a 66sl yesterday and so far its awezome, i've ridden it around my street and bounced on it a lot and run over some curbs with it, reliabilty is perfect so far.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Ohh snap. Two seal changes in 1.5years of riding? Especially in the Pac NW that is nothing to complain about bro.

A: Read Udi's post.

B: That is two more than any 888 that I know of. It is not much, but if you were paying a shop to do the work, that is probabaly close to $200.

ride2.5

Chimp
Nov 29, 2006
I vote 888.

The 40 has a great feel... I liked them better than the 888 when new. The problem is they break down and stop feeling so good. If you race in the US this isn't too much of a problem as you can get them rebuilt on a regular basis at the Norbas.

I wouldn't even consider the Travis. I'm not gong to go into details but a fork is an investment I wouldn't want to have anything to do with chance.

Get a 888 and you'll have a fork that will funciton great for years without problems.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
but a fork is an investment
No, it's a toy just like a frame or an XBOX, they depreciate. A house with a mortgage is an investment and you take 'chance' that it appreciate so you get equity. Last I check, these investment forks do not appreciate neither do cars stay running smooth without maintenance.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Where do you live?

Out of any DH fork on the market, the Boxxer Team is probably the easiest to work on if you have issues.
I live is Israel... The Travis cost me less, I only worry about the reliability of the fork, it should run a year+ without problems, thats what i want. I dont race and I'm not a trouble maker...

fUUBi

Chimp
Dec 9, 2006
Why not boxxers?
I'm pretty sure that you can get boxxer wc under 1k. Well, not much over 1k atleast.
I have that fork and its great.

Air spring is very useful, becouse you can tune your fork depends your weight, track, weather and position of planets...
Every adjust what we have that fork really works with every kliks.
And more than that, it is the lightest fork on the earth.

Team shouldn't be bad at all, but it hasn't air spring, so you have to change springs if you want it softer etc.. Yeah, and its about 300g hevyer.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
man thats so cool to see those pics, the course and crowd looks killer!
my girlfriends family is from lebanon and i drool over looking at the mountains there.

Its funny that most people ive seen that have travis's are happy with them yet all the people that downplay them dont own one... It is a killer fork for the price.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
dude, lebanon is like 20 minutes from the course of the championship, it is right on the bored between us and lebanon... We cant ride in lebanon lol, but the north of israel has couple of good mountains. It's funny, here, only the north, little in the middle and south of the country has mountains (I mean extreme north and extreme south)... We are still growing with the DH tracks.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've been on a Travis Ti since Jan. of this year and its been a great fork. I have had some cartridge issues, but I am notorious for breaking stuff. However, the chassis has been SOLID. I haven't had a single seal, bushing, lowers, lubrication, stanchion issue. So once they start getting the 07 cartridges out the door, I'm going to upgrade my 06 and keep rocking.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Doug, the 07 CID is basically a TPC+ with an air backed bottom out resistance = 07 Intrinsic. The new stanchion finish (which is the old satin finish) is a welcome comeback and so is the ala-Minute lower Travis integrated graphics.

Thanks for the pics Pommi.. always cool to see fresh new places.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hey Ozz, are the 07 Travis' going to have a lower a/c height? I know Manitou is kind of in limbo right now...

My 07 fork choices are either Boxxer Team or Travis. My Dorado is just too low...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not too familiar with the availability of parts where you are but the 888's are widely recognized as being the most reliable and require the least maintenance. They are also pretty easy to service yourself.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
I think I'll go with the Travis, cost less and heard very good things on it. Thank you all! My bike upgrade is about to start!
On plan:
Manitou Travis Ti
Magura Louise DH
Fox DHX 5
Intense 909 :)

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Aight guys, I went for some shops here, and I have a new problem.
What would you take from these forks?
1. Manitou Travis Ti 2006 (Here, the Manitou service suck, they dont know how to take care of the fork)
2. Boxxer Team 2007
3. Marzocchi 888R 2004

These are my options. please help me! Thanks.