Quantcast

A night at the CRITS

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
There’s a local road crit series that started last night at the place I ride during the week. I forgot that it started last night so I rode a little and then stayed to watch the ‘crash’ 4/5’s. I’m always asked, because I’ve been a spectator for about 4 years, why don’t you race? We’ll this years excuse is I’m in training for a 24 hour solo race and I can afford to be injured and racing the 4/5’s would most defiantly put me in that position.
So anyhoo I take my usual position, on the sideline, and start picking my horses. Yea know the ones that you KNOW aren’t going to make it or the ones that you KNOW are going to cause a crash. I was a little disappointed at my horse last night because he did a 100% better than I thought and I put all my money on him. I bet that he wouldn’t make it a lap but damn it if he didn’t make 2 before he got dropped. Oh well better luck next time.
As the race goes on the pace starts to pick up but you can tell theres a little inexperience in the crowd but still moving along pretty good. Then I start to think “I could have done this one” and I imagine myself whooshing around the corners, sprinting up to max, breaking free of the pack and coasting hand raised in the air across the finish line for the win. I got a little jealous they were out there and I was watching from the side.
On one of the preems a buddy of mine, new state champ in crits, went head to head with this other dude and just beat him BUT while crossing the line pointed out the finish line to the other dude just to be sure he knew he got beat. Hahahha that’s cocky, I like it.
400 yards from the finish in on a tree lined city park road theres a tight left hand 90 degree turn then a 100 yards a swooping 90 degree right hand then a 200 yard straight run up to the finish.
The front guys came hauling through there at maximum speed and sprinted to the finish but then a follow group also tried to hammer through, for some reason. One guy got pinched in the corner went off the road then got launched back on the road into the crowd. Several guys went down and hit hard causing MASSIVE damage to bikes and people. One guy had a cut all the way across his eyebrow and required several stitches. The other guy was way worse. His carbon fork broke in half, I’m not sure how, and he hit bad. Disoriented, bruised, road rashed, possible separated/broke shoulder and he had a slight nose bleed (that’s a bad one because he didn’t seem to have taken a blow to his nose.) so that rushed that dude to the hospital.
Again, as I was helping direct the next group of racers around the accident, a guy asks me “So why don’t you do these things?”

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That sounds horrible Tony! Really too bad, because crits are GREAT training tools. Of course, not if they are full of usafe riders.:rolleyes:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by The Toninator
the worse thing was that it freaked me out so bad i didnt sleep last night.
UHG!

I should never have read this, I'm going to the Thur night crits here tonight. :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Crits scare the crap out of me - the only times I have been seriously injured due to biking have all been on the road bike. At the cat 4/5 level you just cant be sure the guys around you know what they are doing. I have friends who I bike with a lot but I would never in a million years race in a crit with then (if they did race) because I know how bad they ride - they have no clue what's going on around them.

I know you read my race report from this weekend - the big dog that blew his tire was so smooth in getting out of the way, if it had been me the whole pack would have been toast. :D

I think you are wise to avoid the crits. TTs rule!!!

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Racing?
Well, they are "practice" crits...but it might as well be a race. EVERYONE does the crit together so there is one massive group of all abilities. If you're slow, you get dropped, if you're super fast you go off the front.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Heidi
Well, they are "practice" crits...but it might as well be a race. EVERYONE does the crit together so there is one massive group of all abilities. If you're slow, you get dropped, if you're super fast you go off the front.
We have group road rides around here that are like that. A macho fest to see who can drop who. I find it very tasteless, a bunch of tools who get their jollies dropping 70 year olds and soccer moms.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Westy
We have group road rides around here that are like that. A macho fest to see who can drop who. I find it very tasteless, a bunch of tools who get their jollies dropping 70 year olds and soccer moms.
Wow.

No, it isn't like that here. Everyone is totally friendly, but we're out there to train. I imagine most of us race and can use the high intensity workout.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
That's me - I like to see them suffer.

Originally posted by Westy

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I could really use a club like that in my area - I have no one to push me. The closest competitive training group to me is 50 miles away. Living on the coast has a few disadvantages. So far this year I have only one other guy who will do high intensity workouts with me. :(

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
the primary motivation to move up to cat 3 is so you dont have to race with the crash4/5's:)
1,2,3's go off together those guys are MAD but have WAY less crashes than the 4/5's.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sounds like you guys have the same 4/5 problems we do. I think the problem is that a bunch of Lance wannabe's are getting into Rowad racing and also some folks who used to race XC are now getting into Rowad racing. None of these new folks seem to be able to hold a line, don't know anything about tactics, and could care less when thier infractions are pointed out to them. I call it the danger zone. About 4 or 5 guys just behind the leader we usually have a testosterone fest going on. You either lead or stay back and wait for a opportunity to get by them. I used to do real well in crits.... But now I would rather just hear about it. Sad really I used to enjoy it.....jdcamb

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well I don't see the problem - you have to build your skills somewhere - racing is a testosterone fest (excepting Heidi of course...) you don't just show up on a course and expect to know everything. You start at the bottom and earn your way into the next category. I do agree with you though... crits are for the young. I could never do them again. :eek:

Originally posted by jdcamb
Sounds like you guys have the same 4/5 problems we do. I think the problem is that a bunch of Lance wannabe's are getting into Rowad racing and also some folks who used to race XC are now getting into Rowad racing. None of these new folks seem to be able to hold a line, don't know anything about tactics, and could care less when thier infractions are pointed out to them. I call it the danger zone. About 4 or 5 guys just behind the leader we usually have a testosterone fest going on. You either lead or stay back and wait for a opportunity to get by them. I used to do real well in crits.... But now I would rather just hear about it. Sad really I used to enjoy it.....jdcamb

splat

Nam I am
Good Stagady tonty :thumb: very smart.
That was one of the reasons I quite road racing ( even though I had just been bumped to a cat 3 ) is that most all the races were Crits , and I hate them ( plus I'm no sprinter ) . We had had a Time Trial series and that I loved, But it went away and then I stopped Road racing for the most part.

If I could find a good time trial series , man that would be fun !

there is nothing more driving then having a buddy in front of you by 1 minute and one behind you by 1 minute.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Despite reading this post, I went to the crit here is San Diego last night. Awesome time. I got there just at start time and was amazed to see how many people were lined up - massive turnout!!! I wheeled past them towards the front 20 or so and we were off. The first lap is a parade lap where everyone chats it up and then it's on. I heard some guy comment he was going to attack on the first lap. I kind of laughed to myself but sure enough, he comes riding up beside me fast and says, "And you thought I was kidding" and takes off. Well, I'm feeling good lately, so I sprint him down and catch him. Now about 5 of us are off the front taking turns pulling through. It didn't work. We were caught and back in the pack. Attacks went off the front all night and I tried to be in all of them.

Damn, why couldn't there be a race this weekend - Im feeling good!

Good times - I'll miss those crits when I move.