Quantcast

A Push'd Fox RC feels like...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
How do Push'd Fox RCs feel in comparison to say...shocks like Romic, El Jefe, Avalance?

I want to start looking at saving a bit of weight and a Push'd RC with Ti spring would be nice and light...lighter than a DHX. I'd save a lot of weight since I have an El Jefe on my bike right now.

Thanks.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Feels good, but still not as good as an Avalanche in my opinion. That's the only other shock I've owned so I can't compare with the others. I think it is better than the ol RC though.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
IronJim said:
i have an fox RC that im not useing, ill sell it to you if you want. its got a 2.75" stroke and its 8.75" eye to eye. PM if your intersted
Price and Year ??

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
ViciousDHer said:
Price and Year ??
its an 02 and i was playing with it one day and accidently sprayed the oil all over my face, but all it needs is oil and if you were to send it off to get pushed oil is part of that. so because of that it will be on the cheaper side, but still name a price.

i dont want to be doing this in a thread, so any questions just PM me

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
It's a huge improvement over a stock Fox RC. As far as on a Karpiel, I prefer an Avalanche, but if I didn't have the Avy option, it would be a Pushed RC.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
A "Pushed" Fox RC will feel better; however, I don't think it will feel as good as an Avalanche. On the other hand, it will feel better than a Romic, in my opinion.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ah ok, now I'm starting to hear what I want to hear. So it feels better than a Romic in your opinion. To me, even if it felt on par with it I'd be happy.

Brian, did you have a Push'd RC in the past? What did you find wre the differences compared to your DHS in terms of feeling?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
How do i get a Fox DHX tuned to my weight? Will PUSH do it? I have a new to me frame coming in a week and the DHX is set up for a 165 lb rider.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
mack said:
How do i get a Fox DHX tuned to my weight? Will PUSH do it? I have a new to me frame coming in a week and the DHX is set up for a 165 lb rider.
With a DHX you should just need a spring.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
to me, my Pushed RC felt like a heavier damped, more controlled stock RC. I never felt like it was a huge improvement but it certainly improved the pedalling and jumping abilities of the bike (Tomac 204). I have extensive time on Avalanche, 5th, stock RCs and Push RCs. I probably liked the Push the best of them.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
JRogers said:
to me, my Pushed RC felt like a heavier damped, more controlled stock RC. I never felt like it was a huge improvement but it certainly improved the pedalling and jumping abilities of the bike (Tomac 204). I have extensive time on Avalanche, 5th, stock RCs and Push RCs. I probably liked the Push the best of them.
When I blew out my Romic, I borrowed a friend's RC. I noticed it was just a initially plush as the Romic but had NO highspeed damping at all...it felt like the rear end was skipping and knocking around when I'd go fast. Currently, my El Jefe feels great when going down fast but I don't think it feels as initially plush as the Romic OR the RC. So, I'm hoping a Push'd RC would take care of highspeed stuff.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
SO what weight titanium spring should i run with a FOX DHX, and do they come in titantium?

I weigh 145 and like it to be kinda soft, thanks.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
ChrisRobin said:
Ah ok, now I'm starting to hear what I want to hear. So it feels better than a Romic in your opinion. To me, even if it felt on par with it I'd be happy.

Brian, did you have a Push'd RC in the past? What did you find wre the differences compared to your DHS in terms of feeling?
I had it Pushed for my old Disco about 4 months back, it still feels like a Fox, but a WAY more controlled Fox. The damping characteristics are far better and more defining over stock. Over all a great improvement, but its not fair really to compare it to an Avy as it's a much smaller shock.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
ChrisRobin said:
When I blew out my Romic, I borrowed a friend's RC. I noticed it was just a initially plush as the Romic but had NO highspeed damping at all...it felt like the rear end was skipping and knocking around when I'd go fast. Currently, my El Jefe feels great when going down fast but I don't think it feels as initially plush as the Romic OR the RC. So, I'm hoping a Push'd RC would take care of highspeed stuff.
That might work. I had an Avy for quite a while and it was awesome on high speed stuff and big hits but not so good a medium-slow speed and small bump sensitivity. Fox RCs can feel much better depending on the frame design. On my Tomac, the linkage seemed progressive enough to help out. The Push made it moreso and helped but I didn't seem to lose much sensitivity, if any.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
JRogers said:
That might work. I had an Avy for quite a while and it was awesome on high speed stuff and big hits but not so good a medium-slow speed and small bump sensitivity. Fox RCs can feel much better depending on the frame design. On my Tomac, the linkage seemed progressive enough to help out. The Push made it moreso and helped but I didn't seem to lose much sensitivity, if any.

Hmmm... One of these days I'm going to pull apart my El Jefe and see what's going on in there. I have the same issue you had with your Avy as far as the slow, small bump sensitivity. The shock was never really valved properly just because it's not supposed to fit on my frame (the Stratos coils are monsterous! so I had to adapt an Avalanche by increasing the ID of the first 'coil' with a dremel so it would fit with the spring retainer collars). I'll try adjusting the shims so everything moves more freely at the beginning of stroke. Also, I'm going to check my linkage to make sure the bearings aren't binding.

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it. One more thing, if I just want an RC to feel good at low, med and high speeds (I don't care about pedalling or anything like that), do I need to go for the full race kit Push offers???

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
A Push'd Fox RC feels like...

Warm apple pie..... ohhh, yeah......

Wait a sec, wrong thought.... They feel like a regular RC but with better damping, not as good as an Avy, more similar to a DHX than anything.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Okay I had the full on works tune done on my RC, I thought my M1 was plush before, however this shock changed my thoughts on that. The high speed bigger hits that would cause the shock to spike are no longer a problem. The damping of the shock is way more controlled and copes with the fast stuff much more smoothly. When you give the pedals some decent cranking the bike picks up speed quicker and doesn't squat so much. The bike feels more lively in general and is easier to pop off jumps. (Having done A-line before and after I notice this very much). All around the bike was tranformed and is well-tuned for my riding style/terrain and the bike.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Yeah, once you get the tune done, you can safely say that you've had "Your rear-end pushed!!".....bwahahaha...

No seriously, I've got a '03 Pushed RC on the back of my old-skool moto-link Rotec DH9. I rode an old Stratos Helix Pro w/remote compression lockout....the thing did its' job but the RC blew it away once I had it Pushed.... I can actually pedal (sprint even!!) without bogging down, and it feels grrrrrrrreat off of jumps. It doesn't *pop* too much, but it also doesn't feel like dead weight either!!! Better damping than Romic by a ball-hair....I've got a custom Romic on my freeride/cross-country rig and it performs admirably to that task (drops and climbing and what-not), but the RC performs better on fast, rough stuff with jumps!!

Do it!! Get 'er done!!! Now!!

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
ChrisRobin said:

MUCH better than a Romic IMHO - I had Romic's on both my XCE and my RFX - now I have Push'd RC's on both - HUGE improvement...

now my DHX on my VP Free gives the Pushed RC's a real run for their $ - a Pushed DHX has got to be on my list for future upgrades...

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
ChrisRobin said:
When the Romic on my bullit grenaded itself, I replaced it with a shorter RC. I noticed the same thing you described, the RC felt like its bushings were loose because the rear end just skipped down everything. I sent it to PUSH and it feels like a whole new shock. I describe the feeling as riding a hardtail with 6 inches of travel, the rear end stays glued to the ground but unlike the romic it doesn't have the same 'bouncy' quality that I was used to.

legend_killer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
C-town, NC
i've had ridden both romic and pushed rc on almost identical jokers the romic felt better on the bighits but the rc pedaled better and and felt smoother, but i do have a custom tuned romic on my DH bike and it is the better than the rc all around

JT

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Yet another vote for best shock of all.

An Avy has the most durability and oil for cooling but somehow Push gets em feeling plush on small stuff and perfect high speed damping.

I still ride one over an Avy cuz it's a lot (A LOT) lighter,and so similar feeling.

The RCS Ti springs we sell fit ok on old rc's but are made to fit larger DHX/Swinger/5th shocks so they're a little sloppy on the collars but still save weight.

Krispy

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
leprechaun said:
Yet another vote for best shock of all.

The RCS Ti springs we sell fit ok on old rc's but are made to fit larger DHX/Swinger/5th shocks so they're a little sloppy on the collars but still save weight.

Krispy
And it should be fairly easy to make shims to make the coil fit the collars nicely.