Quantcast

A question for Nobody

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I just got an S8, and the brake line has worn a flat spot in the upper about 1" long. It happened after 2 rides, do I have anything to worry about or should I have it replaced? I have a Lizard skin now protecting it.

Attachments

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by thatoneguy
I just got my fork back from getting repaired. Ruben turned it around Super quick. Hopefully it doesn't wear through any more...

2 F'n rides:angryfire They were kinda dick'n me around at Stratos:think:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
are those brake lines the XT stainless steel ones?
You should really consider using some heat shrink cables over them so they don´t scratch everything up. Or just put some electrical tape over it.

About the fork, how deep is the scratch?
It doesn´t seem like it will afect the structure of the fork. Just don´t let it get deeper.
I once had a customer wich made the same sh*t with his S7. But it was in the inner leg, it wasn´t so deep so I just filled it with epoxy, just so that the oil didn´t leaked.

I would really consider making something on that line. Or wrap them in electrical tape or do whatever you want.

And it´s not Stratos' fault, it´s the cable´s fault.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by strakos
are those brake lines the XT stainless steel ones?
You should really consider using some heat shrink cables over them so they don´t scratch everything up. Or just put some electrical tape over it.

About the fork, how deep is the scratch?
It doesn´t seem like it will afect the structure of the fork. Just don´t let it get deeper.
I once had a customer wich made the same sh*t with his S7. But it was in the inner leg, it wasn´t so deep so I just filled it with epoxy, just so that the oil didn´t leaked.

I would really consider making something on that line. Or wrap them in electrical tape or do whatever you want.

And it´s not Stratos' fault, it´s the cable´s fault.
Its the upper leg of an S8, they are the Hope brake lines (Plastic housing, black) and like I said it was just 2 rides:angryfire I ran WB DH<2's for a year and all that happened was some of the anodizing wore off. I now use a lizard skin to protect it and it works fine. I just don't think this should happen so soon:think:

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
hm...
0,7xxx milimeters, I don´t think it would affect the structure of the fork.

But if you feel insecure you could always call Stratos and ask for a warranty replacement.
Dunno if they will accept tought, because that´s not necessarely a manufacturer defect. Just a guess.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by strakos
hm...
0,7xxx milimeters, I don´t think it would affect the structure of the fork.

But if you feel insecure you could always call Stratos and ask for a warranty replacement.
Dunno if they will accept tought, because that´s not necessarely a manufacturer defect. Just a guess.
Its only been 2 rides, I think the aluminum is too soft. I can understand wearing off the finish, but not the metal:mad:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Nobody
a type 1 anodizing (minimal for anti-oxidization.)

Structurally, it's nothing. What's interesting is the shape of the gouge - it doesn't look at all like a typical 'buff' mark. You should (and probably did) gently run your fingers up and down the full length of the housing, feeling for any grit that may be embedded in the plastic.

There's no condition for 'warranty' in this circumstances, but Ruben would likely handle it for you in some 'grey-area' method if you let him know who you are (RideMonkey - Empty Beer - RC's Barbecue Clique, etc).
Whats weird is it never happened to my DH<2's but wearing off alittle anodizing. I talked to John at Interbike he said he would take care of it, but when I called him on Friday, he pawned me off on Dylan:angryfire