Quantcast

A question for the racers

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
What are your thoughts on the candid shots I take. Not if you like them, but would you feel uncomfortable if you turned around and saw me pointing the lens at you?

The reason I ask.

I started shooting some candids on Saturday and my first two shots, the first guy looked really agitated so I stopped. The second guy actually came up and asked me not to take his picture. It kind of stopped me from taking the lifestyle pictures over the weekend because my intention is not to be a "stalker" or try and catch people in embarrasing situations, but to try and show the whole "scene". I like the action shots, but I think there is more to it than that and I like showing people the behind the scenes kind of shots as well.

I try to be discrete when I'm shooting, but not for any other reason than people don't act natural once they see the camera.

Sunday afternoon a couple of girls came up to me and told me that they loved the lifestyle stuff, so I got my second wind and got a few after the race. I really would like to hear your thougts on this matter!

D

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
The lifestyle pics show one of the coolest things about the races... Half the fun is being around all the different people from all over the place and just hangin out.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
getting yelled at for shooting pics sucks. i feel your pain. :dead:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm not a DH racer, but here is what I think as a spectator.....

I love the life style shots. It's nice to see everyone in none racing mode.

When Michael Cain was coming to the races with his camera he would just walk around and take a ton of pit shots. At first it was a little strange....you'd just be sitting there talking and he would be walking around snapping shots. I think after a while you just got used to it.

IMO the candids tell the story behind the story....if that makes any since.

Keep up the great work D!:)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like the lifestyle shots as well, provided you don't catch me changing in parking lot. It really does show that racing is more than people going fast on a bike. It's about getting together with friends and strangers and having a good time. Some people have great weekends and others don't but thats all part of the experience. Keep the pics coming.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i think the life styles are kickass dude!
all your pics turn out great so keep them comming.:thumb:

Kai-

and nice to meet you man:D

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Keep it up! As a racer and occassionaly the gimp spectator I enjoy the shots, as everyone has said. The best part of racing for me is the environment, racing is fun, riding is great but the pits, friends, teams, bs'ing etc are what make it fun for me. It's nice to see photos of riders off their bikes, crap half the time you can't tell who it is in the photos if they are decked out in gear.

Feb 25, 2004
Redmond, Wa, USA
personally i wouldnt mind, youd prolyl put me for the crash section. but thats just me. I know though, i did some candid shots of my churchs skatepark, and ppl got pissed off, and sometimes they would fall becuz of me, i felt bad, but i got some great shots. they all thought i was cool and thought i was for a magazine. if you jsut explain what your doing most ppl wont mind.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I think there will always bee a few people who are wierd about it... but keep it up, and just stay away from the wierdos. i think it a cool archiving thing too. put together a pnw dh history book someday or something.

hey derek this os [atrik, the guy that was up on the xc course sat. afternoon trying to get piocs with a digicam that was dying. anyway i love the lifestyle shpots. half of teh reason that it is fun to go to the races is seeing people and hangingout. so i say go for it. i love seeing the lifestyle shots. shows more about the racing and lifestyle of teh sport. there is such a companionship that comes out of DHing and racing that i think it needs to be shown more. anyway was great to meet you and looking forward to seeing you at the otehr races when i get to take photos for teh team and am wrneching. hey by teh way if you are around any of teh XC events find teh gregg's tent. i might be able to snag a beer or two for you. so stop on by.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
WTF!?

Don't take my picture? Gimme a break. What is the guy on parole and not supposed to be out of his neighborhood or something.

Don't go out in public if you don't want your picture taken.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Originally posted by brock
WTF!?

Don't take my picture? Gimme a break. What is the guy on parole and not supposed to be out of his neighborhood or something.

If someone's inside a tent, is that "public"

(need to know just in case)

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Originally posted by MMike
If someone's inside a tent, is that "public"

(need to know just in case)
The only safe out in that case is a sign prominently displayed that says something to the effect of "If you see this tent a rockin......"

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Isn't that land privately owned though? By that action adventure, ropes course company?

If that's the case, the owner of the land can dictate whether or not anyone takes pictures there. It's just like at the mall, try to take pictures in there and you'll have mall security on you telling to put the camera away. While it may seem public, it's really privately owned.

If Derek was standing on public property i.e. a street, and shot a picture of the man in question, the man would have no recourse since the picture was taken from public property.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the man went and complained to the land owner, the land owner would have the right to say no pictures on the premise. I HIGHLY doubt that would happen, but theoretically it could.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Do you guys just love to argue with me?

I'm not taking the bait today.

I don't really care that much. I was half joking anyway.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
Candids rock!! And it is not an easy thing to do well.

If they give you crap, just use that big fatty lens and get them from a distance. Besides, depth of field, crowd, blur type shots can be petty cool.

Do you have a picture of him getting mad at you?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
WTF!?

I am with Brock.

Sure Derek is a little creepy but he is harmless ;) :D

Keep on a snap'n...the ones that that get pissed keep snappen until they slug you and get more than the trip paid for.....j/k

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by derekpearson
:( :( :( :(
Oh sure edit my post and make me looklike a bigger azz that I already am....:D

Oh, and I meant to say have the guy that gets mad and slugs you pay for more than the trip.....You'd be sitting pretty, jsut with less teeth. :eek: :)

I am just lucky I didn't ride much for you to take a snap shot...except for me stopping on top of that last jump before the finish....:o: you can post that one so people can laugh at me. :D

Honeywell

Monkey
Sep 21, 2001
Bellingham
Do you guys just love to argue with me?

I'm not taking the bait today.

I don't really care that much. I was half joking anyway.
I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but eh, whatever. Everyone is so uptight lately...

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
WTF!?

Hey Derek,

I commented to you at the end of the day while watching you take some spectator shots that it was a nice touch.

But...how do we as racers get to view these photo's? I only know to send you my number and view those for purchasing.

Thanks

Chris B

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Originally posted by clognot
Hey Derek,

I commented to you at the end of the day while watching you take some spectator shots that it was a nice touch.

But...how do we as racers get to view these photo's? I only know to send you my number and view those for purchasing.

Thanks

Chris B
Hey chris,

Ill have a slideshow up in a couple of days!

D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by TurkeyJerkey
"Tapping Foot":rolleyes:
Give him some time....I can't imagine the amount of shots he took over the weekend. That volume takes some time.

;) You must enhance your calm young grasshopper.....:)

Rhino