Quantcast

A question for the single speeders

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I've been having derailer issues and have been thinking about going SS. I ride a little of everything, from street/dirt to XC.

I don't think it's possible for me to ride up most of the mountains around here with only one gear.

I rode Tokul a few weeks back and still had to push in a few spots with the gears I do have. I can't see doing that hill with one gear.

I don't mind pushing a little but on Tokul I would have had to push nearly the whole hill.

am I somekind a pvssy?:D

Are there any of you that are doing single speed up in them thar hills?

what gearing are you using?

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
When my 07 P1 worked.. I used to ride it up hills to blast down some single track. I really didn't have any issues except i'd have to stand up to pedal up.

not sure what the ratio was, but it was completely stock! might want to look it up?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
32-18 is supposed to be what all the cool kids are rocking around here.

"Singlespeed is tough, but doable on Cleator road. Anything on Galby is no problem. Alot more upper body work than a geared bike, alot of standing, alot less legs and more cardio. It's a bit masochistic for sure. After awhile you'll probably like it. I just wanted a bike that I didn't have to worry about maintenence with. It rides really really nice though, not harsh at all. --b"

from Mr. Walton.

Last edited:

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
I rode Tokul a few weeks back and still had to push in a few spots with the gears I do have. I can't see doing that hill with one gear.

I don't mind pushing a little but on Tokul I would have had to push nearly the whole hill.

am I somekind a pvssy?:D

Are there any of you that are doing single speed up in them thar hills?

what gearing are you using?
I'm pretty sure you can ride a SS around that area. I've ridden my Trans Am with a 32-18 and gotten multiple laps 4-5 laps in a day. A good buddy does a weekly ride up there with his with a similar gearing combo. Going to a SS requires a little getting used to and will up your fitness as you'll be doing a fair bit of out-of-saddle riding on climbs.

My SS is my primary Galby bike these days (2-3x per week) and I can climb most of the roads (last bit to the towers is a byotch) and climb most of the xc trails without needing to push.

Will it work for you? Sounds like you'll need to gain some fitness, but it's not impossible.

EB

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
I ride my single speed on all the unmentionable trails and kind of enjoy it more then the big bike at times. You would do just fine at Tokul on a SS. I ride a 32-16 but also do my fair share of pushing. Good thing about SS is it's simple and not a lot of maintenance.

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
single speeds the best i have it on both my bikes it climbs really well and dousent skip or nothin i highly recomend it

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
pnj i ran 32/16 on my stp, used a bb guide roller to tension, worked great and was pretty clean

you could probably do 32/18 with a halflink, or try it without butt i'm thinking it will be too tight

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
That brings up another question, what are you guys using to tension the chain?

Do those rear chain tensioners bolt onto the derailer hanger like a derailer does?

Using a BB guide to tension seems like it would add to the "pain in the ass" factor when removing the rear wheel?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I just started riding ss, and i've been running a 32-21 which works well for me. Tiger Mt. hurt and Tokul is totally doable. I started off with an easier combo, and when I get better I may go to a higher gear. It's kinda funny- I find my self standing on climbs, and seated on some downhills (so I can spin faster).
It's like riding a big ol' bmx bike down a trail, which is really fun. Reminds me why I started riding.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I am in my second season of ss and love it. I ran a 34/20 combo last year and a 36/21 this year. Basically no difference except I bought some new cranks that had a 36T chainring on it so I duplicated my old ratio.

I run a cheapie Forte tensioner from Performance bikes. There are better ones out there but I haven't had problems with this one yet. Tensioners that "push up" are generally considered better as you get more chain wrap around the rear cog which prevents chain slippage. The Forte "pushes down" so I don't go too small on the rear cog in order to prevent the chain from skipping teeth. And yes, these tensioners just bolt into the rear derailleur hole.

Due to a mechanical last year I switched my dh bike to ss also and just used the der. as the tensioner. That works well too.

I haven't done any monsters yet in ss mode (Crystal Mtn Loop, Suntops, Palisades, etc) but I have done Devils Gulch and only had to push the last stretch to the top to get to the Mission trailhead. I ride Tiger with no problems and the climb takes me just as long as my geared bike...it just hurts more.

Be careful...once you go ss...well, just try it and see...

Last edited:

woodway

Chimp
Aug 4, 2006
I run 32 x 18. I can climb almost everything at Tokul East and West (for example I cannot get over the log step up at the bottom of Pink Ribbon, but dammit I am going to keep trying). You have to learn how to keep momentum up and climb while standing and not spin your wheels. It takes a little time to get down.

My SS setup is a Jamis full suspension frame with one of these to tension the chain:

http://labs.yesspro.com/products/etr-v

Works great!

babydick

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I just started riding ss, and i've been running a 32-21 which works well for me. Tiger Mt. hurt and Tokul is totally doable. I started off with an easier combo, and when I get better I may go to a higher gear. It's kinda funny- I find my self standing on climbs, and seated on some downhills (so I can spin faster).
It's like riding a big ol' bmx bike down a trail, which is really fun. Reminds me why I started riding.
Dude I totally know what you mean about how it reminds you of why you started riding. I had been riding full suspension for a while and I bought an 08 P2 Chromo a few months ago and I ride that thing twice as much as I ride the big bike. It's alot like riding a big BMX bike down the trail, I'm really stoked on it. Word up