Quantcast

A REAL beginner...

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
I took my friend's five year old out to the trails with me last weekend. I thought it would be a pointless exercise and he wouldn't be able to ride even the novice loop on his walmart NEXT miget bike that weighs considerably mor than mine even though its only thigh high, but i was wrong. He did great. He did all the ruts n roots n little swells we call hills here in south FL with aplomb. He even rode some small dirt jumps though he didn't get any air off of them. I'd been teaching him to ride without his training wheels since before christmas and he was like, "I got a big boy bike for christmas so now I can go ride with you in the dirt on jumps n stuff!" i didn't have the heart to tell him no so we tried...

Anyways, What kind of competition goes on for munchkins in the junior classes? This kid could be a little racer. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to train someone this young? Aside from just taking him with and showing him things while he builds up confidence?

Thnx,

Ty

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Btyler311 said:
I took my friend's five year old out to the trails with me last weekend. ...................
He did all the ruts n roots n little swells we call hills here in south FL with aplomb. He even rode some small dirt jumps though he didn't get any air off of them.
Where did you take him ? Quiet Waters?

Btyler311 said:
Anyways, What kind of competition goes on for munchkins in the junior classes? This kid could be a little racer. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to train someone this young? Aside from just taking him with and showing him things while he builds up confidence?

Thnx,

Ty
This weekend there is a GoneRiding race at Markham park. www.GoneRiding.com puts on GREAT events, they always have a kids race,(usually around the dirt road and warm-up loop) everyone get a medal.

Sign him up :D

Btyler311

Chimp
Aug 8, 2004
I took him to Amelia Earhart. because i figured it was smoothest.

Looks like rain, but I'll check it out. He's already bugging me to go again. He was at a Mc D's playgrounds and came over and told me it was boring when can I take him to the trails again. LOL, he's got the bug.

Thnx,

Ty

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Zee germans have programs for little ones who show great promise. The state-sponsored machine creates world-class athletes like a factory. Get him a little coat and scarf and a one-way ticket to Berlin. They'll know what to do with him. Jan Ulrich is a product of such a program. Look how well he turned out!

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Btyler311 said:
I took him to Amelia Earhart. because i figured it was smoothest.

Looks like rain, but I'll check it out. He's already bugging me to go again. He was at a Mc D's playgrounds and came over and told me it was boring when can I take him to the trails again. LOL, he's got the bug.

Thnx,

Ty
Nurture that flame he's got by not adding gasoline. Just let him have fun, and pad his ass up so he can bounce back when he falls. If he wants to race, let him make that call.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I started at about 7 yrs old- riding trails and fireroads In cherry canyon in La Canada Flintridge(in LA, between pasadena and glendale).