Quantcast

A-rod is a cheater

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
It's just a game... a really, really stupid and BORING game at that...

Rivalry turns tragic: Frustrated N.Y. fan killed Sox-loving buddy
The Boston Herald | October 20, 2004 | Tom Farmer and Jessica Heslam

A Lawrence Yankees lover livid over the Red Sox' 14th-inning ALCS Game 5 victory shot a rival fan to death and wounded two others inside a moving minivan early yesterday morning, sources said.

``They were arguing over the Red Sox game,'' said one source familiar with the investigation. ``The shooter was a Yankees fan.''

Julio Rodriguez, 58, is scheduled to be arraigned today in Woburn District Court for murdering Jose Rivera, 33, and wounding two others during an argument on Interstate 93 in Wilmington.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Damn True said:
I dunno if you can nail the infielders, I think it might just be the catcher.

Someone clarify please.
You can nail the infielders while running to the base, as long as they are in the base line.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
He couldn't do that either .

Look at the Picture , A-Rod would have had to go out of the base line to bowl him over and the result would have been the same ( except for maybe a bench clearing brawl.)
Loosk like in that pic, Mientkiewicz is blocking the base line. Isn't THAT obstruction, too? Whatever, the umps did a great job with correcting the call.

Yeah, it was a bush league play, but it's not like A-Rod was trying to hurt anyone. Albert Belle would have clotheslined Arroyo and Mientkiewicz, then kicked them. :D

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
If you look at the pic, A-rod would have ran right into a haymaker from the firstbaseman if he plowed the pitcher down. The pitcher can't be nailed regardless.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stoney98 said:
Like earlier in the game when the dinger bounced off a fan back into the park and they tried ot play it. IT was out. Hideko (sp?) knew it, he just tried to play it as in. it's bs.
It is the umpires' job to call the game, not the players. If a bad call benefits a team, so be it. Don't fault the players if the ump doesn't do his job.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
Loosk like in that pic, Mientkiewicz is blocking the base line. Isn't THAT obstruction, too? Whatever, the umps did a great job with correcting the call.
If A-rod could have gotten past the Tag , then Hit Mientkiewicz, then yes it would have been obstruction and A-rod would have been awarded the Base. But once he is tagged out , he is out and can only cause an Obstruction. and
From What I understand the ruling was A_rod was Out once the Tag was applied , and By slapping at it to knock it loose ( slapping is not considered Part of an normal Play , If running through it with his Body the ball came loose it would have been different) he was then obstructing the rest of the play which is why Jeter had to come back to 1st.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
According to Section 6.1 of the MLB Umpire Manual, "While contact may occur between a fielder and runner during a tag attempt, a runner is not allowed to use his hands or arms to commit an obviously malicious or unsportsmanlike act."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i agree...some of the balls/strikes calls have been a bit ludicrous (ortiz's check swing called for a strike in game 5?), and they blew the stolen base calls too (although damon's was questionable).

i forgot about the phantom tag in the '99 series on jose offerman, which they showed last night. that was horrible.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Regardless of the slap, it looked to me like he never actually touched the base before the ump originally ruled safe. Doesn't he have to touch first base at some point?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Barbaton said:
Regardless of the slap, it looked to me like he never actually touched the base before the ump originally ruled safe. Doesn't he have to touch first base at some point?
my wife and i were talking about this last night, and she made the good point that he originally called safe regarding the tag when the ball sprang free, and it had nothing to do w/ touching the base (which he hadn't reached yet).

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
splat said:
He couldn't do that either .

Look at the Picture , A-Rod would have had to go out of the base line to bowl him over and the result would have been the same ( except for maybe a bench clearing brawl.)
Look at the picture again. Arroyo is in full stride, and the first baseman is blocking the baseline as well. If A-rod had continued running, there WOULD have been a bad collision. All he had to do was keep running, take out that skinny little stickman Arroyo, and life is good.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what are you talking about, the way it unfolded life is good. :D

arroyo knew what he was doing and i don't think he would have been plowed into.

for sox fans, does the name Ed Armbrister raise yr hackles?

kissthepink

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
He had to give it a go, He should have let Arroyo come into the baseline and then Creamed him, that would be the smart play. i would expect a Red Sox player to do the same in the same situation. He wasn't "cheating" he's trying to make something happen. He's out if it doesn't work, so why not try? These guys are not playing chess... The players know it, check out the following:

From The Boston Herald:
*****"Both Arroyo and first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz [stats, news], at least publicly, cut A-Rod some slack for his attempted trick.

*****``He's a competitor,'' Arroyo said. ``Game 6, they're down, 4-2. Desperate measures for desperate times.''

*****Mientkiewicz added, ``You've got to do what you've got to do. It's the playoffs, a crucial point. You try to knock the ball out anyway you can - you never know.'"

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
He broke the rules, was busted and the correct call made. Big deal. It's not like he was doing anything premeditated like swinging a corked bat or hiding emery cloth in his back pocket. He gave himself up anyways with his surprised reaction to the call and delayed arm pump, tag and sprint towards 2nd. A poor shoplifter it is indeed who looks over his shoulder at the cashier on his way out the doors...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Echo said:
Look at the picture again. Arroyo is in full stride, and the first baseman is blocking the baseline as well. If A-rod had continued running, there WOULD have been a bad collision. All he had to do was keep running, take out that skinny little stickman Arroyo, and life is good.
You're a Yank's fan??

I guess I'm kind of glad now that I put two dents, ripped the ISCG tabs off, and am killing the bearings on that Intense you sold me :D .

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Inclag said:
You're a Yank's fan??

I guess I'm kind of glad now that I put two dents, ripped the ISCG tabs off, and am killing the bearings on that Intense you sold me :D .
Nope. Giants fan. I could care less who wins that series, although I think the Yankees are better.

That bike needed a good ass kicking! Good job :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yankees better? pshaw. almost the best team (money can buy).

funny NY paper headline:

edit...can't link to the photo (babe ruth's b/w pic w/ a "Put Me In" headline)

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Echo said:
Nope. Giants fan. I could care less who wins that series, although I think the Yankees are better.

That bike needed a good ass kicking! Good job :D
Thats what I'm talkin about!

GO GIANTS!

I'm rooting for the Sox now though, if they can break their curse, hopefully the Giants can break theirs.

I just hope it dosen't take 86 years though.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
narlus said:
yankees better? pshaw. almost the best team (money can buy).
Didn't know Schilling, Pedro, Damon, Ortiz, Manny, Wakefield, and so on came up in the Redsox's farm system. The Redsox's have the highest ticket in the majors, sell out alot of games, and pay way less taxes than the Yankees, so the "best team money can buy" doesn't apply to just the Yankees. Don't blame George because he is willing to spend his money while other owners pocket theirs.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey, the sox definitely spend the $ too, don't get me wrong. but it's really in response to steinbrenner's spendthrift ways. you gotta compete. bottom line, if the yankees want a player bad enough, they usually get him. i would have been STOKED to see the twins beat the yanks. did you see the disparity between the lineups? torre had so many more options it was crazy.

btw, the sox are 2nd to the yanks overall in payroll (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/TEAMSAL.xls) but the yankees are still 46% higher...it's not even close. the yankees payroll is ~3.5x that of the twins. a-rod by himself is almost half the twins' total payroll.

and sure the sox have the largest ticket price. supply and demand rules can't be suspended when you have a small stadium. the 34,000 seats are a lot less than the 57,500 yankee seats, so when you factor that in, the yankees still gross more per game than the sox. and we won't even go into the TV deals...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
narlus said:
hey, the sox definitely spend the $ too, don't get me wrong. but it's really in response to steinbrenner's spendthrift ways. you gotta compete. bottom line, if the yankees want a player bad enough, they usually get him. i would have been STOKED to see the twins beat the yanks. did you see the disparity between the lineups? torre had so many more options it was crazy.

btw, the sox are 2nd to the yanks overall in payroll (http://roadsidephotos.com/baseball/TEAMSAL.xls) but the yankees are still 46% higher...it's not even close. the yankees payroll is ~3.5x that of the twins. a-rod by himself is almost half the twins' total payroll.

and sure the sox have the largest ticket price. supply and demand rules can't be suspended when you have a small stadium. the 34,000 seats are a lot less than the 57,500 yankee seats, so when you factor that in, the yankees still gross more per game than the sox. and we won't even go into the TV deals...
Dude. Whining that pro sports is a world of haves and have-nots is like whining that clocks turn clockwise.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
Dude. Whining that pro sports is a world of haves and have-nots is like whining that clocks turn clockwise.
well maybe our definitions of "whining" and "shooting holes in a specious argument" are a bit different.