Quantcast

A/V Assistance

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Need some help with my A/V setup guys, hopefully some Monkey's have an idea.

Current setup (see image for map):
Comcast cable box
Yamaha TSR-5830 receiver
Polk PSW108 sub - on floor

Sony KD-0X690E TV - setup dumb
Unknown brand speakers mounted in the ceiling; last I looked they were a generic brand. 7"
Chromecast
Firestick
5.1 zone 1 - ceiling mounted, includes sub
2-speaker zone 2 - same general room, ceiling mounted

Everything is HDMI connected to the receiver. It is all located in a closet in the other room which has two 2" computer fans for venting heat. I just discovered that these work intermittently and I will be replacing them shortly. Cable is hardwired to cable box; internet is hardwired to receiver

I have two problems:
1. The TV is periodically changing colors to a pink hue or just turning off the TV and/or the audio. It also will just flip over to the Firestick as the input source for no reason. I had to unplug the Firestick to stop that problem.

2. I need to have the volume at near max to be "loud", but it's still very low. My small Vizio 5.1 soundbar downstairs blows this setup out of the water.

On problem 1 - any suggestions for where to start isolating the problem? All the individual systems work except it changes color and decides to turn off periodically.

Problem 2 - it seems under-powered, but even using it for just zone 2 it doesn't "drive" the speakers. I also cannot figure out how to integrate the sub into zone 2, which is only really used for music while in the kitchen.

Thanks.

Stereo layout.jpg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am thinking impedance issue. My Sub only works in Zone A. It is a Yamaha also. Do all your sources report accurately or just video?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is adding an amplifier an option? And if so, how does one do that?
Your zone 2 output is already speaker level, so no, you shouldn’t add another amp in that chain. I’d just deal with maxing the volume for that zone.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your zone 2 output is already speaker level, so no, you shouldn’t add another amp in that chain. I’d just deal with maxing the volume for that zone.
I'm thinking more the volume amplitude for zone 1. I can survive without the bass on zone2.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm thinking more the volume amplitude for zone 1. I can survive without the bass on zone2.
So you’re hitting -0 dB to get adequate volume? That’s ok to do... that’s reference volume.

If you’re having to go further than that then I’d go down the impedance mismatch thought process.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So you’re hitting -0 dB to get adequate volume? That’s ok to do... that’s reference volume.

If you’re having to go further than that then I’d go down the impedance mismatch thought process.
~10dB is the point it gets loud, but not booming.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
-10 dB? If so then that’s totally fine.
Anything under 0 should be acceptable. Volume depends on the wattage of the amp and the sensitivity of the speakers and to some extent the source.

My setup gets uncomfortable at -30 but I went full retard.