Quantcast

A wee bit non-dh

spalm12

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
Curious to see if anyone here has ridden Hope Mini brakes. Was looking for some feedback as fas as using them for an all-mountain; aggressive trail bike. Stupid idea or what? And also durability and maintnence of Hope brakes general.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
dunno about the mini, but I've been using an O2 (1999 vintage) for ages. Changed the o-rings 2 x, bled every 6 months or so... works jsut fine for me.

f0ggy

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
Ca
the minis are plentttyyyy powerful for all mountain very great breaks, just need to set em up right, friend has em on his 4x/trail bike and they rockk!! Get em dudde, any hope product you cant go wrong with.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I had the first gen Mini's on my XC bike. They would boil off on long descents and I'd have no brakes. No amount of bleeding and futzing with them worked.

Running Hayes Mags now.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^^ i had that problem, i swiched to dot 5.1, never boiled again.

the mini is a good brake, the new ones are pretty hot. i used them on my dh bike for a couple of years. although i was only about 90-100 lbs then.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
im 160 lbs
ride a 42 lb sunday world cup
was running magura gustav rear brake till i messed up the rotor
last weekend i put on my 2006 hope mono mini with new pads and 6 inch rotors, fresh bleed.

first run rotors heated up really bad, after the pads were broken in they werent that bad. with 7 inch rotors they would be awesome. I am thinking about getting myself a 4piston front caliper and some 7 inch roters and getting rid of my gustavs i liked them so much.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i bleed mine really easily. i get some air line from an old fish tank and run it from the caliper bleed nipple to a water bottle with a hole in the lid. i put the master cylinder on so the top is level and remove the top cap. i pour in some new brake fluid and pump out the old stuff and screw back on. takes about 10 minutes per brake. never had a problem with it. a lot easier then other brakes. the levers also feel solid and dont have any flex. use dot 5 synthetic, it works a lot better then dot 4.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Don't use dot 5, It will eat yours seals up. Stop reading this right now and go switch your brakes to dot4 or 5.1

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Yo spalm, do you have minis already?

If you do: Hopes are well made, durable brakes. The minis are however not very powerful. The best thing to do to get more power out of them is to use Goodridge lines.

If you don't have them: Buy a pair of Juicy 7s. They are much cheaper and work waaaaaay better.

Yes everyone, I have owned, used, and worked on both Hope Minis and Juicy 7s.