Quantcast

Aaargh! Ovalized HT on my intense! :(

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
yeah, i think i'm just going to send it back, jb weld the headset into my old frame and ride it 'til it breaks, all while looking for a frame in my budget. we are probably moving to the southwest soon so i don't want to go out and buy a full-on DH rig before i know what the riding will be like where i move....so maybe this will work out for the better anyway. i REALLY want a SS2 but i'm not going to find one of those in my price range anytime soon.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
green loctite is a better option than JB weld. it is made specifically to lock bearing races into hogged out bearing bores. I've used it many times and never had a bearing come loose again.

Evan55

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
dont touch JB weld. thats ghetto.

Loctite 660 "quick metal" is the correct application for your problem. it is designed specifically to fill in where there should be metal. I have used it to fill in worn crank keys on engines.
I have a big tube of it, if you're in the DC area you can swing by and use it.

loctite 290 "green" is just another general purpose loctite. the 660 is much better.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the headtube is about 1/2" shorter as well which will screw up my geo....i'd rather just pay more and get a SS2 frame instead.....$350 for a used, 6 year old prototype front triangle seems a bit steep.
Yeah man.......you're not going to like what it takes to get that frame rideable. And even if you did, it's not going to be the same bike.

Just limp that old frame along until you get your moving expenses settled.