Quantcast

Able One=Bullit w/ 1.5 HT

Evel Monkey

Monkey
Oct 28, 2003
PNW
Able One This is the UK distributor.

Elan Company homepage.

For those of you who wanted a bullit w/ a 1.5 ht, here ya go.

travel - 6.7"
frame price - $1550

Just sharing some info I came across. :)

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Why not just buy a Gemini...almost the same design...made in the USA...just as strong and durable if not more...and has a 1.5" HT stock...

Tom

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I happen to like their Horst bike much better, except the 11 pound weight. And Turner and Knolly said they couldn't get 7" out of a "traditional" setup, while these guys claim 7.25". Interesting.

geometry ABLE FOUR
Frame Size S M L
Material Al 7020 Al 7020 Al 7020
Seat Tube D 440 470 510
Top Tube C 560 590 620
Head Tube 1 1/8 - 130 1 1/8 - 130 1 1/8 - 130
Head angle B 67 67 67
Seat angle A 70 70 70
Travel - mm 185 185 185
Weight-frame 4900 g 5000 g 5200 g
Chainstay E 444 444 444
Wheelbase G 1105 1135 1165
BB height + F 37 37 37
Seat post diam. 29 mm 29 mm 29 mm

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Bulldog
I happen to like their Horst bike much better, except the 11 pound weight. And Turner and Knolly said they couldn't get 7" out of a "traditional" setup, while these guys claim 7.25". Interesting.

Not quite sure what you mean, Knolly's V-Tach has 7.3". Also it doesnt mean they are following the same strict concepts as Turner or Knolly would; just because it 'looks' similar, it doesnt mean the actual mecanics are, suspension design is alot more subtle than that. There could be comprimises there you just arent aware of.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ummm, I had a 7in RFX that worked great :D proving that it can be done

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by zedro
Not quite sure what you mean, Knolly's V-Tach has 7.3". Also it doesnt mean they are following the same strict concepts as Turner or Knolly would; just because it 'looks' similar, it doesnt mean the actual mecanics are, suspension design is alot more subtle than that. There could be comprimises there you just arent aware of.
Knolly uses a secondary linkage to work his magic around the seat tube, and after seeing Turner's Highline mock-up at Interbike he's going to have to do something too. Turner actually said the Lucky7, or a 7" RFX was too tough to do. As for calling that Elan "traditional" I just meant pivots attached normally (rocker pivot on seat tube, etc), no secondary linkages or whacked out seat angles (though 70 is a bit shallow) and a pretty traditional front triangle. I'm not commenting on the ride characteristics for two reasons: 1- I'm no suspension engineer, and 2- I assume everything rides like poo until after I try it. ;)

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
My 7in travel RFX rode just as great as my 6in RFX did, BB height wasnt out of wack, neither were angles, it was just like the 6in RFX everyone loves, but with one more inch o travel. Actually it was closer to 7 1/8

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
As for calling that Elan "traditional" I just meant pivots attached normally (rocker pivot on seat tube, etc), no secondary linkages or whacked out seat angles (though 70 is a bit shallow) and a pretty traditional front triangle.
ahh, ok....yeah the limit is around 7" if you want shorter chainstay lengths a 26" wheels, the wheel and rocker just gets in the way. My modded Stinky with the bent seat tube could get no more than 7" with a standard tire

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
ahh, ok....yeah the limit is around 7" if you want shorter chainstay lengths a 26" wheels, the wheel and rocker just gets in the way. My modded Stinky with the bent seat tube could get no more than 7" with a standard tire
Yeah, the Elan CS's are pushed back to ~17.5". With that and the slack[er] seat angle it becomes a shorter travel DH bike that happens to have a straight seat tube. I agree with you that little tweaks can have huge effects on the ride.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Ellsworth Dare - what's the travel and c-stay length on that? They look 'alright' on both counts but I dunno off-hand..........

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by DßR
Ellsworth Dare - what's the travel and c-stay length on that? They look 'alright' on both counts but I dunno off-hand..........
hehehehe....except for the wee little problem of the tire hitting the seat on compression....there's like only a few seats that you can use with it, and lower to a "DH" type of saddle height, and not have it hit...

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
yeah, I know they're Ellsworth's and "everything" that entails, just wondering if they got a decent amt. of travel out of the "turner" style design.....but 17.7" stays and the bb height is excessive.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Elan is a ski company, but at least THEY are pursuing FR....unlike some other who was at one time on the verge of the whole FR thing waaaay early. Zero Gravity...remember them? I think the SHANDRO does........

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
My 7in travel RFX rode just as great as my 6in RFX did, BB height wasnt out of wack, neither were angles, it was just like the 6in RFX everyone loves, but with one more inch o travel. Actually it was closer to 7 1/8
Other than the leverage ratio (I'm heavy) that bike looks great. For me I'd have to figure another $550 into that bike build for an Avalanche as I wouldn't trust anything else to hold up for me.

Did you sell those plates with the bike? Does your machining friend still have the drawing for them?