Quantcast

? About Broken Bones & Recovery

R

Rabie

So at the end of August, I broke the scaphoid in my right wrist. I was in a cast until late October, and follow up x-rays in early November showed the bone looking completely healed. I worked myself back into riding slowly, and got past most soreness, regaining strength and mobility to the point where I felt pretty close to 100%. Last Friday, though, a mechanical failure on a small step-down jump slammed me pretty hard, and though I didn't land directly on the wrist, pain started to set in pretty severely within a few minutes. Through Saturday, there was some swelling, very little mobility, and it basically felt exactly as it did when I originally broke it. No longer having insurance, I didn't go in for x-rays, and the swelling has mostly gone down, with some more mobility. There are still, however, sharp pains with certain movements, and I've lost a lot of grip strength. I'm fairly convinced by the way it's healing that it's not broken again, but my question is how long I can expect impacts like this to set me back. Essentially, for those who have been through a similar fracture, was there a point where trauma to the injured area no longer seemed worse than it would have if the injury had never occured? When was that point?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Good luck. I haven't broke my wrist but I did break my collar bone ride a year ago in September and I still have problems with it. It aches when I sleep on it, and my range of motion has gone to hell. :(

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Broken my right wrist twice. Last time was in 91. It doesn't cause me much problems, but if I do certain things it still hurts. Like carrying in bags of groceries, I have to be careful not to try to carry too many with my right hand. Riding doesn't really bother it too much. Texas is pretty rocky, but I don't do a lot of drops.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
One thing that really helped me was I got a squishy ball(about the size of a raquetball filled with gel?) from the sporting goods store and when I was driving or sitting around squeezed that.

R

Rabie

Thanks all for the comments. The thing is that I had virtually no pain before the time of the recent crash. I could ride, lift heavy things, turn door knobs, etc. without any real problems. Then the crash and I'm back to square one. I don't mind so much if little things hurt for a while. I would just really like to, at some point, know I could take a crash and not be a gimp again.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Originally posted by Rabie
I would just really like to, at some point, know I could take a crash and not be a gimp again.
It will take awhile, but it should heal fine. This month alone I have taken a couple of hard falls on to my hand and it didn't hurt anymore than normal.

My wrist was pretty sore/weak for a couple months after I got the cast off. Just need to build up the muscles again which haven't been in use for six weeks.