Quantcast

? about disc brakes

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i got my bike 1-2 months ago and have been riding down this hill (most days) that drops about 500 feet over 1.25 miles. its a paved road. my question is, the rear rotors are already turning blackish/colored and it just so happens that i read an article on Shimanos site yesterday that said if your rotors turn colors like that, theres nothing you can do and you should replace them since they wont perform like they could. i agree, they dont perform as good as they did, and they even make like a clicking/knocking noise and they pulsate when they get real hot.

should i be looking into some other kind of breaks for this type of hill or did i screw them up cause im a newb. cause i also read on Shimanos site that you can burn them up, before you wear them in, when theyre new. i basically charge the hill i go down, i dont hold back much. theyre Juicy 3s. 6" on the rear, 7" on the front. the front rotors look fine

thanks

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Quit dragging your rear or use more front brake in conjunction with the rear.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Quit dragging your rear or use more front brake in conjunction with the rear.
yah i know. its just taking me awhile to get use to braking like that. im an X BMX racer, we never had fronts and this is my first MTB and my first bike with dics brakes and my azz is afraid to go over the bars at 30+ mph :(

jmckemy

Chimp
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, TN
You gotta learn the pressure points on your brakes and how to shift your weight according to the terrain. A little practice on a "light-weight" course and you will get the hang of it, start slow and work up your speed. I hate to sound like my mom but practice makes perfect. And yes, I have taken my share of endos...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I prefer the same size rotor front and rear. My rear brake gets more use, gets hotter, and the pads don't last as long so I definitely don't need a bigger rotor in front. I choose rotor size based on the type of frame, tires, and trails it will be used on. For a hardtail XC bike 6" is fine unless you weigh over 200lbs. Long descents with higher speeds get 6" rotors really hot so then you go for 7"s. 8"s are usually just for lift access or shuttling with tires big enough to use that power.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
so this may seem like a weird question but should the front and rear rotors be the same size? is a 160 rotor a normal size for xc? i'm starting to build a new hardtail and i'm trying to select my brakes
Some frames don't accept bigger rotors so you might want to see what the factory build came specced with.

nutz

Chimp
Oct 2, 2010
make sure your calipurs are aligned to the rotor (so its not dragging)
wash off your rotors with rubbing alchol only (do not touch em or get lube on em ...if ya can help it)

a good 75% of your braking power is from the front brake, a rear only brake or equal brakeing situation should be only for technical spots where you use the brakes to manipulate the bikes position

remember when riding a MTB and braking downhill wether on a road or dirt you need to get your butt out of the seat and center your weight (put you ass tward the rear tire more) also never lock up the brakes. practice (controled and slow at first) modulating the brakes to the point just before they lock while coming down a hill (both front and rear at the same time). this will get your confadince up for heavy braking on the trails