Quantcast

? about shifting gears

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
when you shift, do you let up a bit and just spin the cranks, or do you power thru

guess my cassette was already starting to wear so i said screw it an upgraded to an XT cassette, tho ive only had my bike since Jan.

thanks

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If i'm on a hill already and have to shift down (while going uphill), i ease up on the power i'm putting down. It shifts easier that way instead of just skipping.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Until you have a lot of experience shifting and timing your shifts at low-load moments (meaning, not the middle of a sprint or climb where you're grinding hard and grunting), you should ease off on the pedal pressure when shifting -- especially a front shift.

If you have rough shifts, it's gonna get very expensive if your path to fixing rough shifts is to just start replacing parts -- especially when you find some of the roughness is due to user technique!

Rough shifts can be caused by dirty chains, poor cable tension, poor derailleur adjustment -- none of which requires buying and installing new parts!

Save your $$$ if you can. It's very unlikely that "upgrading to XT" on the cassette will improve your shifting in any way -- although it's a common mistake to assume there's a big difference in shift quality from SLX to XT, for example. That's how bike makers sell their higher-priced bikes, by telling you you get better shifts with an "upgrade" in driveline pieces.

For the most part, what you get as you move up the drivetrain ladder is lighter weight and longer life. Bottom-end components will work fine when new and adjusted properly, they just won't last as long.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Until you have a lot of experience shifting and timing your shifts at low-load moments (meaning, not the middle of a sprint or climb where you're grinding hard and grunting), you should ease off on the pedal pressure when shifting -- especially a front shift.

If you have rough shifts, it's gonna get very expensive if your path to fixing rough shifts is to just start replacing parts -- especially when you find some of the roughness is due to user technique!

Rough shifts can be caused by dirty chains, poor cable tension, poor derailleur adjustment -- none of which requires buying and installing new parts!

Save your $$$ if you can. It's very unlikely that "upgrading to XT" on the cassette will improve your shifting in any way -- although it's a common mistake to assume there's a big difference in shift quality from SLX to XT, for example. That's how bike makers sell their higher-priced bikes, by telling you you get better shifts with an "upgrade" in driveline pieces.

For the most part, what you get as you move up the drivetrain ladder is lighter weight and longer life. Bottom-end components will work fine when new and adjusted properly, they just won't last as long.
perfect, thanks!

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
you got it!

if you have interest in maintaining your own bike to help with the shifting smoothness when your cables stretch and your derailleur needs adjusting, the Park Tools website is pretty helpful.

Just go here: Park Tool Repair Map and click on the bike part that's giving you trouble.

If you like reading books and having a hard-copy book to reference, Lennard Zinn's [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Zinn-Art-Mountain-Bike-Maintenance/dp/193138259X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274371861&sr=8-3"][I]Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance[/I] is really good.

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007