Quantcast

Absinthe

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Who here has tried the real stuff? Experiences?

I picked up a dusty bottle of Hapsburg Super-DeLuxe Extra yesterday, it was sitting on the topmost shelf in the back of some small specialized importers here. He called it "devilwater" and told me I was crazy for wanting it...I'm getting his entire stock later, he has a couple more bottles in storage.

85% booze, with a medium/upper level thujone count. This stuffs illegal in Canada as it has the thujone in it, it should make for an interesting next weekend!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
.....Use at your own risk. Lots of problems exist with thojone.

Reported side effects of thujone and wormwood are nausea, vomiting, insomnia, restlessness, vertigo, tremors and seizures.
Thujone has been suggested as causing addictions, hyperactivity, excitability, hallucinations and psychedelics with chronic use from the ingredient wormwood.

Large doses of thujone have been found to cause delirium, convulsions, seizures, paralysis, brain damage, renal failure and death.

Do not take during pregnancy and lactation.

A warning was issued by three Washington State Doctors about the purchase of wormwood oil used in a recipe for making the banned liquor absinthe. The victim unaware that the consumption of his homemade absinthe could cause adverse effects and resulted in poisoning.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I drank about a half bottle one night and got more drunk than I've ever been before, don't remember any visions though. Definitely agree with the excitability and hyperactivity though.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
Crazy Sweeper said:
I drank about a half bottle one night and got more drunk than I've ever been before, don't remember any visions though. Definitely agree with the excitability and hyperactivity though.

Generally, Absinthe these days is just a strong liquor without any of the hallucinogenic ingredients. Pretty much a gimmick drink. If you can find some of the legitimate stuff or make some your own then, uh, good job. About 3 shots of true Absinthe can make the average person just black out, and if you drink half a bottle of pretty much anything you'll get drunk.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
zahgurim said:
Who here has tried the real stuff? Experiences?

I picked up a dusty bottle of Hapsburg Super-DeLuxe Extra yesterday, it was sitting on the topmost shelf in the back of some small specialized importers here. He called it "devilwater" and told me I was crazy for wanting it...I'm getting his entire stock later, he has a couple more bottles in storage.

85% booze, with a medium/upper level thujone count. This stuffs illegal in Canada as it has the thujone in it, it should make for an interesting next weekend!

Has someone watched Moulin Rouge once too many times???

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
i have tried the stuff from the Chezch Republic. It definetly gets you drunk. The taste is pretty hard. I recommend having a couple of beers prior to taking a shot so you dont taste it as much, and make sure you have a some type of chaser.

PM me if you want to know how to prepare it.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Absinth is nothing but very strong booze.
The halucination part is totally not true.
It tastes like Sambucca but stronger, me and a friend of mine had got a bottle a while ago and it was empty in like an hour. After that we remember nothing.
The next morning I got up and found the whole house under a layer of puke, the livingroom, garden, driveway, toilet, everything.
Luckily some friends of ours made some nice pictures of us (which I will not post :D ) throwing up everywhere.
So yeah its probably good stuff but dont expect to see things from it unless your combining it with LSD or some Shrooms and dont drink half a bottle at once :nopity:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
whoopnar said:
i have tried the stuff from the Chezch Republic. It definetly gets you drunk. The taste is pretty hard. I recommend having a couple of beers prior to taking a shot so you dont taste it as much, and make sure you have a some type of chaser.

PM me if you want to know how to prepare it.
does it consist of burning a spoonful of sugar and dousing it in the absinthe?

i bought a small bottle when i was in prague, but haven't opened it.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Kevin said:
Absinth is nothing but very strong booze.
The halucination part is totally not true.
Wrong.... Sorry but you got gipped. Faked. Swindled.

....The active ingredient of wormwood is thujone, and thujone has been shown to be identical to tanecetone in the herb tansy and salvanol in sage. Thujone has also been shown to have a similiar molecular structure to THC....

Narlus --

....A "Traditional" Czech Method
One submitter (JT) writes: "There's another 'traditional' way of drinking [Absinthe] there [in the Czech Republic]: Take a tequila-shot glass, teaspoon filled with normal sugar and a lighter. Fill the glass and hold the spoon over the glass so you 'spill' a little onto the sugar. Light the sugar and wait for start forming caramel, drop it in the glass, stir, and consume immediately."....

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
clancy98 said:
Wrong.... Sorry but you got gipped. Faked. Swindled.

....The active ingredient of wormwood is thujone, and thujone has been shown to be identical to tanecetone in the herb tansy and salvanol in sage. Thujone has also been shown to have a similiar molecular structure to THC....

Maybee in theorie it will make you see things, but if that would be true I think it only works with huge amounts. Youll be dead from the stuff before you can drink that much.
The fact that it has the same structure as THC doesnt mean a thing. THC doesnt make you see things.
I had half a bottle of the real stuff and Ive done some research on some Dutch websites on Absinth. According to Dutch scientists the halucinating part is just a myth.
It might have been the case that in some point in time there was a kind (or brand) of Absinth that made you see things but its also not to long ago that Coca Cola actually contained Cocaine.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i think that's his point. wormwood is a psychoactive component, alcohol is a depressant. not all liquids labeled as "absinthe" have wormwood in them.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
From Clancy's link...

Absinthe Experiment
Wormwood Extract
by Aseem

Ok, I ordered a fluid ounce of wormwood extract from an ethnobotanical company. The bottle was marked with poison symbols, which made me a bit apprehensive. I read somewhere that the proper proportions to make the fabled Absinthe was 1 cup of Pernod to 1 teaspoon of wormwood. I didn't feel like buying Pernod, so I cracked open the wormwood bottle and added a teaspoon to a cup of Absolut vodka. The wormwood was very dark and had a very strong odor, kinda minty but with a distinctive edge to it. The oil was very hard to wash off the spoon, it stained it green, and the spoon smelled like wormwood for a while. This worried me, considering I planned to pour it down my esophagus.

I mixed it vigorously, covered the cup in Saran wrap, and placed it in a refrigerator for two days. After the wait, I stirred it up and strained it through a rag, removing a resiny layer that had separated from the mixture. The resultant mixture was a cloudy green, it looked a little like bong water, and smelled even worse. The white plastic spoon I used to mix it was colored green, and wouldn't wash easily. I was getting apprehensive about the stuff, and the smell was making me queasy.

I mixed a shot of the mixture with lots of water and sugar. It did not turn opaque white, as I read it should. Summing my courage, I started drinking the 16 oz concoction. It had a strong taste much like the smell of wormwood, and made my stomach very queasy. Every sip I took made me gag and make sour faces. I don't know if my reaction was psychological because I was afraid of the stuff, or if I just didn't like the taste, or if the stuff really was bad for me and my body was complaining. I put red Kool-Aid crystals in it to make it more palatable, but it didn't help. I gave up after a quarter of the cup.

I think I got a buzz off it, there was a drone in my head and I felt like I was on painkillers, but I think I need to drink more. I ate alot of food and drank water afterwards, but the horrible taste was hard to get out of my mouth, I think it coated my alimentary canal like it did the spoon. This thought was not pleasant.

I think I am going to just try and down a shot of the wormwood and vodka without diluting it, and hope I don't vomit it out. That will take some courage, though.

Does anyone have any experience with this, did I do anything wrong? Any suggestions or dire warnings? If I don't get any negative feedback, I'm just gonna down the shot and hope for the best, and then post the results.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Wish me luck!
A hunderd people can tell me Absinth with wormwood makes you see things (the Absinth we tryd had wormwood in it too). But Ive tryd lots of stuff thats supposed to make you see things and so far only 2 or 3 actually worked.
Im not saying wormwood cant make you see things, Im just saying that the chances for you to see things from drinking Absinth are very, very small...

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
narlus said:
Correct. Some friends brought some back from the europe when they went. It was interesting stuff. No green faries like in Eurotrip, but was definately mind-altering. Its hard to describe the feeling, you'll just have to try it for yourself. :thumb:

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
narlus said:

i bought a small bottle when i was in prague, but haven't opened it.
Yeah. You pour a shot. douse the sugar in some absinthe...light it....and let is burn for a bit....than pour the sugar in the absinthe...stir and drink

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
whoopnar said:
Yeah. You pour a shot. douse the sugar in some absinthe...light it....and let is burn for a bit....than pour the sugar in the absinthe...stir and drink
The way I heard it was that you pour the shot. Put the sugar in a spoon, catch the sugar on fire, when it starts to bubble, suck it up with a syringe and shoot it into a readily available vein.... Oh then pour the absinthe out because that crap is nasty.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
whoopnar said:

Yep, do it just like this guy said and you will be chasing the Green Fairy before you know it.........it's one f'ed up buzz to say the least! :drool:

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
Just got back from the uk-france-switzerland-italy and drank a fair bit of it and brought a few bottles home for further use! Its good shlt! i was off my rocker paddeling a stolen kayak on lake lucerne in the middle of the night trippin away on the stars and mountains!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
for those who have tried the real deal....

how is it a wierd buzz?
is it very introspective like some hallucinogens?
or is it very superficial? ie: just lots of vivid visuals & patterns & aural hallucinations?
any open eye hallucinations or are they all on the back of your eyelids, if at all?
or is it like being removed from reality but still aware of "reality"?

inquiring minds want to know!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
it's just like reading a post from N8, totally disorienting.

Well in that case I rather eat the lousiest, most tainted, make your back sore, blotter. :D :eek: :D

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Kevin's Clancy link said:
...After the wait, I stirred it up and strained it through a rag, removing a resiny layer that had separated from the mixture...
Umm, I'm no expert, but anyone else think that there is a chance that the active ingredient was strained off? It would make sense if it is lipid soluble like THC.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
yeah, ya never wanna remove anything "resiny" if you are extracting herbs, IMO. keep all dat stuff.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
meh, they have it here, to me its just like really strong booze. i think youd have to get tanked off your ass to start halucinating