Quantcast

Accident at 27?

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Just got word from a buddy that while driving by 27 he saw a bunch of emergency vehicles and an evac chopper hovering up there? Anybody know the story? Hope whoever it is is ok.

ryanrider

Chimp
Nov 20, 2007
Just saw this on the news. Reporter only said a broken wrist and other possible unknown injuries. Whoever it is, hope you're okay!

Makana425

Monkey
Feb 21, 2008
Snocompton
Yea i went looking for him with a budy but never saw him. Crazy stuff. It seems to happen every year, either with a hiker or a biker. It kinda makes me feel like those trails are going to disappear.

livewakesnow

Monkey
Nov 19, 2008
woodinville
i think i was the reason for 76 getttin dozed. 2 real bad accidents there. i wish i could have walked out but i almost bled to death the first accident and the 2nd i had a seizure:( sorry

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Lets all just hope for the best for the rider and for the trails. This is a great reminder, when you are in the woods you are the one making the decisions, be smart, it will all still be there tomorrow to hit. (hopefully) Ride smart, Have fun!

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Hope he is alright. If you need to be hauled out by an evac chopper, or emergency vehicle do it. I have toughed it out after hurting myself, and exacerbated injuries. Some of these injuries that already haunting me in my 30's. When you are 20 and acting like a tough guy, it is easy to be dumb and worry about being responsible for things like riding areas being shut down at the expense of your body.

That said, ride within your ability and you probably won't need this type of assistance.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
i showed up just as the sheriff was leaving. there were 4-5 trucks and various search and rescue dudes hanging around talking. iasked one of them what was up and he basically said, "nothing". so i said "you guys are just hanging out here huh?" and he just said yes. i rolled up to the gate and it was open and there was police line tape on the end of it. my friend had arrived earlier than me and talking to him later the S&R dudes told him someone had been injured on one of the trails and had to be taken out. thats all i know. why they couldn't tell me is kind of weird. hopefully this event won't bring "the heat" down on that area. i know this sort of thing has happened before but you never know.........

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Probably be more apt if when someone injures themselves, has no insurance, and sues the land managers, then that will bring heat on the trails above and beyond anything else. i mean start talking $$ then that's when things start getting done good or bad, i would think.

Also suggesting people get out of the woods after a critical injury is a dumb idea. If someone is bleeding internally and tries toughing it out, then this suggestion may be the last ride for a biker who could be your friend. i mean each situation is different, i've been injured in the woods and i was able to get out with help of friends and not the chopper or ambulance, but if it means bad press versus someone dying because they were urged to crawl out of the woods, well c'mon...

And only reason i'm even chiming in is because someone who is cool enough to "take one for the team" foolishly believing their sacrifice will keep the trail open would be the one to die. Don't we want good people like that alive, and hold judgement because that trail has been around a long time, and talk of shutting it down has persisted for years.

There's just so much more to the story i think, and many of the online chatter about it perpetuates so many unwritten rules or laws that may or may not be true...

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Use your judgement. Hauling your broke ass off the hill on your own because somebody on the forum said to do so? We can all understand the reasoning behind that, you can certainly walk your bike out of there with a broken wrist. But I'd have all the trails in washington shut down if it meant keeping someone alive, or out of a wheelchair.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I know that after a really bad crash, the last thing on my mind is the closing of the trails. Skooks is right. Not worth dying over. Natasha Richardson is a good example of a relatively small incident going bad. You just never know. If you are uncertain after a big crash of the extent of your injuries. Be smart about it. Most of the time it's pretty obvious how a situation should be handled. I've been involved in a few helicopter rescues in the past during my climbing days. Seeing a person get hauled off in a copter is scary. Seeing that same person out climbing and hiking the next summer all healed up is amazing.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Rode with a guy who was up there when it happened. Apparently there was no evac chopper. It was a news chopper. They heard the accident over the scanner and wanted in on the action. He said the kid hit a tree after a drop up there and ended up breaking his wrist and getting a concussion.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
It was actually a guy I know and my buddy who was with him at the time told me about it. Said he hit a tree after that big drop on Oregon Trail; broken wrist and concussion. Right after it happened or right after they started heading back down some "eagle scout" according to my friend was hiking up and said I'll call 911. I don't know if the guy really was an eagle scout or what he said, but it did draw some attention. They were going to walk out, but didn't happen that way. The guy is ok.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
funny when i was in boy scouts they didnt tell us to go call 911. i was up at tiger mt. on sunday the 10th and i injured my knee i dont have insurance so calling 911 is a last resort really. i rode/hiked out had my knee checked out at auburn general its all good i just strained it. but head injuries or trees is a defent deal breaker on hiking out. and unless injuries keep happening and S&R keeps going out there they will do somthing about the riders or some tard decides to sue.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
i think i was the reason for 76 getttin dozed. 2 real bad accidents there. i wish i could have walked out but i almost bled to death the first accident and the 2nd i had a seizure:( sorry

If your name is Lucas Carter then yeah.....you were the beginning of the end for 76....ya ****ing idiot:banghead:

Then the GOHUCKYOURSELF BBQ got the neighbors pissed and I couldn't get them back on our side after that.......

It was great while it lasted but,as usual, the NON-LOCALS ruined it for the OG's........

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Good to hear He is ok! Thats a sweet drop but have yet to muster up balls to do it. I can see how if you do not get your full right turn in you will huck landing on the left and build enough speed hitting a tree is going to F-your sh*t up. But know hows maybe he hit the tree on the right of the hip, I wasn't there...

Not much protection for wrist but this is just another example of major injury on a bike. I don't get it when I see a 5k bike, $300 helmet, some fancy jersey and NO ARMOR!!! Sorry guys I just don't get it. Maybe cause im sore as hell from being young/dumb and riding without pads. It really kinda gets me when the person is a sponsored or influential rider with no safety gear. Yah maybe they can pull what you see on a video off, but it sets a bad example for the young crowd that you don't need pads to haul ass. Sorry RANT...

Fast healing vibes!!!

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
DNR ect... has knowen about 27 for a long time, but I agree the less chater about it on the public forum the better.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
I don't understand why people can't buy body armor if you can spend 5 grand on a bike 150 pressure suit shouldn't be a question. I wear my pressure suit every time I ride my dh rig.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
found on oregon; a plastic bag with tags that indicated its previous content was one or more neck braces. any ideas?
Damn, they couldn't even pack out their own trash? :brow:

And if I could afford a Leatt Brace and Dainese suit, I'd be all over it. But for now I'll stick with the helmet, knee/shinnies, and gloves. Its ok though, I'm not very fast anyway...:redface: