Quantcast

Accomodation/suggestions 8/26 - 8/30

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So far there are 3 of us confirmed heading up to Diablo from the Carolina's. I did some searching and the information provided from the Mountain is a little lacking.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some helpfull tips on where to stay, or what to ask for when looking for accomodations.

We will be driving up, possibly each have more than 1 bike, so being able to keep bikes inside the accomodations would be nice.

Thanks in advance...

ANyone else going to be up there during that time?

Rasterman

Chimp
Oct 27, 2008
I was thinking about making a trip there and was wondering the same thing. Are there any cheap places to stay near the mountain? The only place under $100 I found was a Days Inn that was about 14mi away for $60. Are there any extended stay places that rent per week or per month?

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
the days inn is cheap, but for a reason. not big rooms, not the cleanest. if you want to spend a few extra bucs, check out black creek sanctuary. its a property of mountain creek, just around the corner from the mountain, full kitchens, more like condos where appalacian is more hotel style. they have 1,2,or 3 bedroom rooms, all have a living room with a pullout bed. they have gas grills on site and the pool area rocks! definatly worth it if you ask me. oh and you can fit your bikes in there for sure. also washers and dryers.

RG2

Chimp
Aug 7, 2009
The Appalachian Hotel is the resort at the bottom of the mountain. I stayed there for two night in the beginning of July. I had a standard room...one bed and a sofa bed. It was nice, but I'm not sure it was worth $179 a night. Since it's not ski season just about everything in the resort is shut down except for the pool. I think the customer service left with the snow too because I couldn't find it any where. There is a "no bikes in room" policy, but we were able to get our two bikes up through a side entrance. They have a bike cage in the underground garage, but I wasn't comfortable leaving my bike out there. I would try one of the smaller motels in the area instead. Don't get me wrong, the location was great, but don't go into it thinking you'll be staying at some swanky mountainside resort.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I dont know if its still done at whistler hotels, but I found it/find it disturbing that resort owned property, where Im bringing my business and my 4-10,000$ bike wont allow bikes in rooms when they dont provide reasonable secure options for bike storage.

Whistler is notorious bike theft heaven...

bike_hiker

Chimp
Mar 3, 2009
was in the same boat a few weeks ago up there. The Appalachian Hotel at the base is pretty expensive, $200+ a night for 2. I stayed at the Appalachian Motel which is up on Rt 94 N and it cost $79 a nite plus taxes. Clean rooms and cold AC, and it's close to the mountain. The Days Inn in Vernon is currently under construction. No good there. The other option is up Rt 23 in Sussex there are a few crummy motel, the Sussex was $60 a nite, but a bit nasty.
I was riding with a couple from Toronto who rented a condo at the Black Creek Sanctuary which is right across the road from the mountain. They said they rented the place for $100 a night, for four nights total. The place was very nice, private ownership, and you can walk to the base area very easily though uphill. Perhaps look into that. The next time I head up for multidays I would go that way and book in advance. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
Another strong vote for black creek. Rooms are top notch and affordable. Only down side is the distance from the lift. You'll probably want to drive up to the base parking area. Not a big deal.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I may have to try out Black Creek next time I go.

I have tried most of the other options before. In summary:
Appalachian Hotel - very nice, very close, very expensive. I think no bikes in rooms, I used the bike cage once but it doesn't actually lock, we just locked our bikes to the racks inside.
Appalachian Motel - decent motel a few miles away, not really worth the $100/night they sometimes ask but was clean and we brought bikes inside.
Days Inn - also a few miles away, has been under construction forever which makes it not the cleanest place, reasonably priced, can bring bikes inside
Sussex Motel - a little farther away but the cheapest place I know of at $67/night, can bring bikes inside, old, sketchy other customers, but like I said cheap if that's what you are looking for. It is ok for one night, I would not stay for more than one night though (tried that last time).