Quantcast

ACL tear

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Yes the title says it all. Just tore my ACL on a jump I've done about 15x and I wasn't paying attention. Has anyone been through this? My doctor said I could start cycling (whatever that is) but I was wondering how long It's going to be until I start doing DH again. I'm utterly confused as to what I'm going to do this summer now that DH is out of the picture. My doctor said with the Sports PT I could be back riding DH in about 3 months but that seems like a really short amount of time and I don't think my doctor knows what DH really is :rolleyes:

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

robertg

Chimp
Apr 21, 2005
NJ
Well, I have had both left and right ACL's done in my knees. It is possible to be DH'ing after only a few months of PT, but a lot of it depends on you. Some people heal alot quicker and try harder at PT than others. It's real important to make sure you have full range of motion before you start PT, because range of motion is so essential. Your doctor will give you stretches to do immediately after surgery to keep your knee moving. Just make sure you do it, no matter how painful. If you don't, you'll start PT and they will force the motion on your leg, and it hurts a lot more when they do it, since the healing has begun at that point and they need to break scar tissue that has built up. Also, if the therapists have to work on range of motion, that is wasting time that could be used to build your strength back up. If you are younger (early twenties), you will probably be walking in a month or so, so you could definitely be riding at the end of the summer. Just work hard.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Super-man said:
Yes the title says it all. Just tore my ACL on a jump I've done about 15x and I wasn't paying attention. Has anyone been through this? My doctor said I could start cycling (whatever that is) but I was wondering how long It's going to be until I start doing DH again. I'm utterly confused as to what I'm going to do this summer now that DH is out of the picture. My doctor said with the Sports PT I could be back riding DH in about 3 months but that seems like a really short amount of time and I don't think my doctor knows what DH really is :rolleyes:

If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
I had a small tear a few years back in my ACL, MCL and ruptured my T-Band. I feel your pain man. My Doctor told me I couldn't ride a bike till after the surgery or I would have mad it worse. I had a 8 month wait for the surgery. You should be able to start spinning about a week after your surgery (very light spinning). Best to see what your Doctor says. It normally takes about 3 to 6 months of rehab. It took a lot longer for me because I had ear surgery done at the same time. Had my ear drum grafted after putting a hole in it Wake Boarding that summer. My ear Doctor didn’t want me to sweat any in my ear, so my rehab didn’t go the way I planed for my knee. Best wait till your Doctor gives you the ok to get on the DH bike. I waited a year. I still feel it sometimes.

Good luck man,
Cecil

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A buddy of mine tore his ACL this winter. He is here on RM ever once in awhile. Maybe he will chime in.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Make sure you do all of the PT you can. Also make sure the PT tech knows that you want to get back on your bike and the type of riding you do. They will adjust the PT to fit your needs. It took me 6 months to ride and about a year before I was comfortable. I still race expert slalom and MTX and do fairly well, but have lost my motivation to race since the races are too far to travel and the courses are not too great anymore.

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
FCLinder said:
You should be able to start spinning about a week after your surgery (very light spinning).
I must be a slow healer then, I am at 3 weeks post op now and there is no way my knee is anything close to the sort of range of motion that would allow any sort of spinning, same goes for the last acl op I had, it was about 6-8 weeks before I had enough range of movement to spin comfortably.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sorry to hear it man. be glad the doc gave you the go ahead to be on two wheels. hit the PT hard, but don't overdo it. good luck on the recovery :thumb:

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
Super-man did the doc give you that info, is it a stage 1, 2, or 3 that will have a huge bearing on your recovery and the possibility of re-injury, I had a stage two that held together for 3 months and then I was walking to class and POP no more ACL. What other injuries did you have, damage to meniscus, tearing of MCL, PCL etc. Also who did you go to, I live in Utah and Beck at TOSH did my reconstruction, he works with the US ski team and other pros, since your doc was kind of sketchy on what DH is. Feel better and if you need phone numbers to Beck just let me know
JK

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Tenacious Doug said:
I must be a slow healer then, I am at 3 weeks post op now and there is no way my knee is anything close to the sort of range of motion that would allow any sort of spinning, same goes for the last acl op I had, it was about 6-8 weeks before I had enough range of movement to spin comfortably.
Yep, took me a week. I had very little range of motion too. Had the seat jacked up high just so I could spin. Your tear could of been a lot worse than mine was. My PT pushed me.

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
robertg said:
Well, I have had both left and right ACL's done in my knees. It is possible to be DH'ing after only a few months of PT, but a lot of it depends on you. Some people heal alot quicker and try harder at PT than others. It's real important to make sure you have full range of motion before you start PT, because range of motion is so essential. Your doctor will give you stretches to do immediately after surgery to keep your knee moving. Just make sure you do it, no matter how painful. If you don't, you'll start PT and they will force the motion on your leg, and it hurts a lot more when they do it, since the healing has begun at that point and they need to break scar tissue that has built up. Also, if the therapists have to work on range of motion, that is wasting time that could be used to build your strength back up. If you are younger (early twenties), you will probably be walking in a month or so, so you could definitely be riding at the end of the summer. Just work hard.
Great advise. I've heard similar information. I'll apply this to get back on the bike ASAP.

925HELL said:
Super-man did the doc give you that info, is it a stage 1, 2, or 3 that will have a huge bearing on your recovery and the possibility of re-injury, I had a stage two that held together for 3 months and then I was walking to class and POP no more ACL. What other injuries did you have, damage to meniscus, tearing of MCL, PCL etc. Also who did you go to, I live in Utah and Beck at TOSH did my reconstruction, he works with the US ski team and other pros, since your doc was kind of sketchy on what DH is. Feel better and if you need phone numbers to Beck just let me know
JK
I just set an appointment with the doctor that works with the Jazz, Dr Novak. I've heard that if you get a sports Dr, that they can actually make the ACL stronger then before. I'm hoping that this will be the effect that Dr Novak will have. I'm not sure what stage my ACL tear was, but the meniscus also had some slight damage to it also. I have surgery in about 2 weeks and the accident was about 2 weeks ago.

I can't explain my boredom and I've just subscribed to 2 more MTB magazines. Hate getting injured, especially right at the beginning of the race season!

Thanks for the info guys, it really helps. If anyone has anything else, shoot it off.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I've torn and replaced both of my ACL's. Dr. Robert Johnson (who's done probably about 1000 ACL reconstructins in day) repaired both of mine.

I won't lie, it sucks. It sucks big time. Dr. J was a more conservative doctor with 0 PT for the first 6 weeks post op. It was a good 9 months before I was 100%.

If it were me, I would plan on hanging up DHing until at least 4-5 months after surgery. I know it's a long time, but one f'up and you could very well land back on the surgery table with a worse injury. I've seen it happen before with people trying to rush back. And that is something you don't want.

Ask your doctor what you can and can't do and I would heed his word. If he says you shouldn't DH, don't DH. Remember what happened to Booby Miles in Friday Night Lights?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey...glad you mentioned the meniscus tear. Take that 3 month window and bump it to minimum 5 months. This might not make much sense, but the ACL will hurt like a beech for the first few months, but hte lingering ache of the meniscus is what will drive you nuts. It is because you put pressure on the meniscus all the time...and DH'ing will straight hammer a healing meniscus into submission. The angular force on your meniscus will slow up the healing alot.

As for spinning, my ACL doc was a Cat 1 Roadie at 1 point and a sports surgeon as well. I asked him about riding and he told me..."As soon as you can, even the day after, sit on the stationery trainer with the seat all the way up and zero resistance. Clip in and use your good leg to turn the pedals." He said it dramaticly increase the circulation, reduce scar tissue deposits and help clear out swelling, fluids and all the major bruising.

I had ACL reconstruction using a patella graft (uses a hunk of the patella tendon off the front of your kneee) and torn meniscus on both sides (1 side had to be stitched back together).

He was 100% right. Zero resistance on the pedals and just the movement made the swelling go down. It hurt like a mother!!! But it helped.

If your Physical Therapist doesn't bring you to the brink of tears...they're not pushing you and you will pay for it later. You can probably do road rides at 6-8 weeks out using your good foot, but no major pressure on the bad leg.

You'll be able to DH comfortably at around 7 months, but your leg will be weak up until at least 11-12 months.

Oh...and buy yourself a neoprene or spandex knee sock (nothing too tight). Studies on rehab show that the added pressure helps nerve endings in the weakened area to accelerate healing and more or less coax the muscles and tendons in the general area to cooperate more. It's hard to explain, but it adds "feel" to the area b/c it's going to be vague and loose feeling for some time. The knee sock gives a type of control back...that make sense?

Super-man

Chimp
Jun 20, 2005
Orem, UT
Thanks bizutch and everyone else. I'll have to keep my progress posted on this thread. I think since this is such a common and pretty serious injury, more people will be able to use this information in the future.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had mine done, and was told no DH for 6-8 months. Take it easy as it takes a minimum of 6 months for the graft to take. It's not worth pushing it just to start all over again with more surgery.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
dogwonder said:
I won't lie, it sucks. It sucks big time. Dr. J was a more conservative doctor with 0 PT for the first 6 weeks post op. It was a good 9 months before I was 100%.

If it were me, I would plan on hanging up DHing until at least 4-5 months after surgery.
My doc wouldn't let me do ANYTHING for the first month after reconstruction, during which time that leg lost so much muscle I'd say it was just over a year before I was at 100%.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
The better shape and stonger you were before the tear will play a major role in reovery.One thing my Doc had me do was to use a CPM machine,you layon the floor and strap your leg in and this thing cycles your leg thru a set range of motion.This started the day after surgery,I was supose to where a brace for six weks and use crutches for four.I used the crutches for two and the brace for four.The Doc did want me cycling as soon as possible but only were there was no chance of falling and flats only(not clipped in).As far as DHing this summer I will be straight and say its over for this season.The risk is even if you had to dab your foot with any kind of speed you might have to go back under the knife.Forget about being able to bail off the bike and land or run out of it.I had surgery one month after surgery and started PT three weeks after that.In that three weeks I lost 1 1/4" from the circufrance of my thigh,the muscles will sut down.So not only does it take time to heal you will need to build the muscle back.Good luck and save the money and plan some trips for next season as a reward for working everything back into shape.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Super-man said:
My doctor said with the Sports PT I could be back riding DH in about 3 months but that seems like a really short amount of time and I don't think my doctor knows what DH really is :rolleyes:
without surgery, you can DH or anything in a week or two... however long it takes for your knee to recover from the trauma.

With surgery, you're looking at atleast a year.

Short-term, surgery does nothing. Long-term, reconstruction helps prevent your knee from deteriorating. Without an ACL, you're likely to destroy your meniscus in, guessing, 10 years. Then you wear down the joint itself. You don't need an ACL for short-term... and, if you rehab and wait a few months, you MIGHT be etter off.

I (stupidly) waited two years, but I was walking the day of surgery and road riding (not clipless) only a couple of weeks later since I had totally strengthened the muscles around the knee during those two years by hiking, biking, skiing... but I did tear the meniscus doing those things.

FCLinder said:
My Doctor told me I couldn't ride a bike till after the surgery or I would have mad it worse.
Either you're a special case or your doctor's an idiot as cycling is awesome rehab BEFORE and after surgery.

Rehabing before surgery is so very important. I did two formal rehab sessions after surgery and was told that I didn't need any more.

read this... Do NOT try to strengthen your knee after surgery. Do NOT try to push it. FOCUS on range of motion only.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
DHRracer said:
One thing my Doc had me do was to use a CPM machine,you layon the floor and strap your leg in and this thing cycles your leg thru a set range of motion.
oops, forgot that...

yes, the CPM is a wonderful rehab tool. Even if you have to pay full price for it -- as in, your insurance won't cover it -- do it! Buy one if you need to. It's valuable way beyond the cost.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
LordOpie said:
oops, forgot that...

yes, the CPM is a wonderful rehab tool. Even if you have to pay full price for it -- as in, your insurance won't cover it -- do it! Buy one if you need to. It's valuable way beyond the cost.
Lord Opie...you ramble. The CPM machine is used during only the first day or two after surgery and is NOT worth taking home. Range of motion is done by the PT and usually you are in PT as soon as they can get you in, 2 days later if they can. Also, you won't need a CPM machine if you are not a complete wimp and lazy and/or have a stationery trainer. The CPM is for fat old ladies who can't bear weight on it and are too lazy to do their PT so the machine tries to do it for them.

And you shouldn't tell anyone to be doing any serious rehab exercises before surgery. That's how I tore the meniscus b/c my ACL wasn't there to stabilize and my bones sliced it while misaligned.
You can do serious damage by "strengthening" leg muscles while the ACL is blown. I agree that anyone shouldn't shut down using the leg until surgery, but no major lifting or exercise(jumping, running, riding a bike). It will just eat away at the meniscus to do so.

And you don't need to go calling people IDIOTS when all they are doing is relaying doctors orders to them for their injury. Knees are the worst joint in the body and have any number of ways to mess them up.

I went to an old fart and he told me to go ahead and race b/c "you already tore it in half. You're not going to do any more damage."
At the time I worked at a gym and had access to lots of other athletes who had blown theirs and got a referral to the best in our area. He even worked in the same offices as the old man. He was kind enough to let me know that riding would only eat away the cartlidge and risk minor if not major tears to the other ligaments of the knee.

Bottom line with a knee surgeon. Do some MAJOR homework and ask around for a week or so and find out who is the BEST in your area and get on his waiting list. The PT he/she chooses will be your best friend and the 2nd major component to recovery.
The last thing is being willing to make yourself CRY when doing you PT. If you're not shaking and sweating doing it, you're shorting yourself.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My Dr. told me it was okay to ride before my surgery, as long as there was no pain involved. It does help speed up recovery, however your repaired lag will totally atrophy anyways.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
bizutch said:
Hey...glad you mentioned the meniscus tear. Take that 3 month window and bump it to minimum 5 months. This might not make much sense, but the ACL will hurt like a beech for the first few months, but hte lingering ache of the meniscus is what will drive you nuts. It is because you put pressure on the meniscus all the time...and DH'ing will straight hammer a healing meniscus into submission. The angular force on your meniscus will slow up the healing alot.

As for spinning, my ACL doc was a Cat 1 Roadie at 1 point and a sports surgeon as well. I asked him about riding and he told me..."As soon as you can, even the day after, sit on the stationery trainer with the seat all the way up and zero resistance. Clip in and use your good leg to turn the pedals." He said it dramaticly increase the circulation, reduce scar tissue deposits and help clear out swelling, fluids and all the major bruising.

I had ACL reconstruction using a patella graft (uses a hunk of the patella tendon off the front of your kneee) and torn meniscus on both sides (1 side had to be stitched back together).

He was 100% right. Zero resistance on the pedals and just the movement made the swelling go down. It hurt like a mother!!! But it helped.

If your Physical Therapist doesn't bring you to the brink of tears...they're not pushing you and you will pay for it later. You can probably do road rides at 6-8 weeks out using your good foot, but no major pressure on the bad leg.

You'll be able to DH comfortably at around 7 months, but your leg will be weak up until at least 11-12 months.

Oh...and buy yourself a neoprene or spandex knee sock (nothing too tight). Studies on rehab show that the added pressure helps nerve endings in the weakened area to accelerate healing and more or less coax the muscles and tendons in the general area to cooperate more. It's hard to explain, but it adds "feel" to the area b/c it's going to be vague and loose feeling for some time. The knee sock gives a type of control back...that make sense?
This is good advice.

I have just completed 40 sessions of Physio Therapy after I had my ACL replaced and meniscus repaired. The PTs will work hard to recover you, and you WILL feel it. Just like bizutch said, it will drive you close to tears, but you have to push it and let them know that you're willing to go that extra length to recover.

I had surgery in middle of march and I've been riding my bike in flat surfaces for a month now. I still have aches when climbing stairs or when I try to pedal standing, but I can feel the progress. It will be a while before I feel phycally confident to ride agressively though...