Quantcast

Active recovery

Gee

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
Orange Co. CA
I am a believer in active recovery directly after strenous exercise.

What about the day after? After a weekend of long hardish rides, I feel a little stiff and sore in the legs on Monday. Is it better to take the day off completely or do a recovery ride?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
If you are physically exhausted you need rest - if you are merely stiff in the muscles and joints a bit of movement and excercise is good.

After a marathon or 50K I usually get back out there and do a 3 mile run - it that is too much I'll hit the bike for an hour. The circulation helps remove lactic acid as your muscles begin to rebuild.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Serial Midget
If you are physically exhausted you need rest - if you are merely stiff in the muscles and joints a bit of movement and excercise is good.
I agree. Your central nervous system needs to rest, and you also need a mental break.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Gee
I actually prefer taking the day off completely. Recovery riding is boring as hell.
Active recovery doesn't have to be the same sport or excercise, cross training as a from of recovery is not a bad idea. I've done a whole lot of biking this last week but very little running. Even though my current training plan calls for an easy 5 mile run tonight, I feel like my legs need a break. I'm going to swim a mile instead.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Active recovery doesn't have to be the same sport or excercise, cross training as a from of recovery is not a bad idea. I've done a whole lot of biking this last week but very little running. Even though my current training plan calls for an easy 5 mile run tonight, I feel like my legs need a break. I'm going to swim a mile instead.
Dammit I really need to get into swimming. But I worry now because I have soooo little impact exercise in my life and that would just add to the issue. I remember reading something about how some is good for bone density.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well... go to one of your better running stores and try on a pair of Montrail Leona Divides with your normal cycling socks. Then try running about 1 mile before each trail ride - on the trail you plan to ride. It's a good warm up and an easy way to strengthen the joints and connective tissues. :cool: I think I read somewhere that it only takes about 6 miles a week to add bone mass.

Originally posted by Heidi
Dammit I really need to get into swimming. But I worry now because I have soooo little impact exercise in my life and that would just add to the issue. I remember reading something about how some is good for bone density.