Quantcast

Actual cost

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
not again :D . 30 mpg vs. 50 mpg is stretching the truth.

2000 Honda Civic HX, ~$6000 perhaps
31/40 mpg per www.fueleconomy.gov (33 mpg combined)
$2.73 to drive 25 miles

2000 VW Jetta TDI, ~$10000 if you're lucky!
35/44 mpg per the same source (38 mpg combined)
$2.73 to drive 25 miles

if the TDI didn't cost so much more up front and used then it'd be nice to have one in order to run biodiesel, but it's not a financially sound proposition as things stand.
I was referring to an old-school Diesel Rabbit, not the new-fangled TDI. My ex-girlfriends 1980's Rabbit averaged 50mpg. I figured that's what James was referring to.

<edit> 1980's diesel Rabbit = $1500 on CL. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow. There are some insane numbers in this thread.

So, looking at the current situation, gas is only projected to go up. At what point would people consider lifestyle choices? I changed jobs last year in part to get rid of my 40 mile/day commute. Gas has since gone up about 80 cents.
I understand that the train takes longer, but at what point does the money make it worth while?
I spend about 3 hours round trip commuting on the bus vs. an hour on the motorcycle. The cost isn't too much different figuring it takes just under a gallon of premium @$3.75 vs. $3.50 round trip on the bus.

If I don't have exact change, the bus costs more because the bus doesn't give change ($2 vs. $1.75 each way). But I can't enjoy a book or coffee on the motorcycle, but running errands on the bus isn't always easy either.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I was referring to an old-school Diesel Rabbit, not the new-fangled TDI. My ex-girlfriends 1980's Rabbit averaged 50mpg. I figured that's what James was referring to.

<edit> 1980's diesel Rabbit = $1500 on CL. :D
hipsters haven't bid up diesel rabbits yet? :D hmmm

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Agreed, it's not going to cost you less to buy a hybrid.
Get a used VW Golf Diesel, that'll fun forever, and like 50mpg!
Right now Diesel is $4.60 here in Santa Barbara. Regular 87 is $3.93.

Our 07 4runner eats about $120-130 each month. That's to and from work, out and about in town, and to the gym almost every night. We share that car most of the time, so for 2 people that isn't bad. Though her work commute is 1 mile each way, and I walk helps.

Then we have my car, 91 k1500 pickup. I figured I'd fill it from half a tank @ $3.90 per gallon. It took $56.50 to do so. I would be SCARED going from empty. I only drive it to haul stuff if we need to or if I am going riding.

If I had to commute to work I think something like a civic or other small car would be fine, or a motorcycle either or. It's amazing though, especially in socal here how many drivers there are out in giant SUV's/Trucks with just one person in them. Where my parents work there's people who drive in an hour + alone with a Escalade. Something just isn't right.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Car pools are good...or...

Take care of your car!!!! Change out the oil for some synthetic, synthetic in the gearbox, change the airfilter, air up the tires to the maximum...I used to eek out about 42 mpg all highway in my honda civic, and rarely got less than 30mpg. I didn't even maintain it as I should. If your car is in perfect shape, you can expect a few MPG from taking care of it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Car pools are good...or...

Take care of your car!!!! Change out the oil for some synthetic, synthetic in the gearbox, change the airfilter, air up the tires to the maximum...I used to eek out about 42 mpg all highway in my honda civic, and rarely got less than 30mpg. I didn't even maintain it as I should. If your car is in perfect shape, you can expect a few MPG from taking care of it.
My truck gets 12mpg in the city, on the highway, or falling off a cliff. Good idea for newer rides, though.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
My truck gets 12mpg in the city, on the highway, or falling off a cliff. Good idea for newer rides, though.
Come on, be realistic.....if your truck went off a cliff you should at least see a 10% increase in mpg

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Come on, be realistic.....if your truck went off a cliff you should at least see a 10&#37; increase in mpg
Nope. Laws of gravity only apply to vehicles made since 1974 and later according to Oregon DMV.

<edit> I've driven my truck a total of 9 miles since purchase, so I am basing it off the figures of my old truck. This one could be worse, I will never know because I won't be driving it until I swap to diesel.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I filled up my truck this week, 29.8 gals, $104. Fortunately I take the bus or bike to and from work, so I'm filling up about one a month, such saves me about $220 a month in gas.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think people will adjust, but I doubt their gas consumption will go down very much. The reality is, as a nation, we spend a very small amount of our income on gasoline. People will cut in other areas to be able to pay for gasoline. I bet gas would have to hit $6 a gallon to really change people&#8217;s habits

it will have to be more than that...it's already $6/gal here and folks complain but they still pay it and drive big inefficient cars!...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Jesus some of you need to find employment closer to home...commuting more than 25+ miles a day to work is just insane!...D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
When I started this job I hadn't been driving in almost 4 months so I wasn't paying attention to how much I was in my car. I figured out it was going to be running me about 200 bucks a month so I cut back to a tank of gas every 2 weeks, which is about 100 bucks a month. If I run out, I ride my bike.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jesus some of you need to find employment closer to home...commuting more than 25+ miles a day to work is just insane!...D
just curious. how far is your commute?

additionally, when you throw things like school systems and line of work into the mix, it's not always so easy...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

additionally, when you throw things like school systems and line of work into the mix, it's not always so easy...
Everything is easier in Canada.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC

about 7KM:D...and my wifes is just a 10 minute walk..but we purposely looked for potential jobs close to us when we were looking for a house to buy...D