Quantcast

addicted to the DJs need a frame

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
getting really addicted to the dirt jumping and its fun but my 98 stumpjumper is not gonna last the summer the way im learning/casing these jumps.

looking to run it single speed that will handle well with a 5" fork
( 2000 z1 qr20) 26" wheels on the trails and the dirt jumps. climbing with good seatpost extension is also a factor but not huge. I know the evil imperial will do it all but im also interested in the following

Sinister Ridge seems like a freeride hardtail do it all climbs,dh, dj, street

Sinister DNA leans more into djing and street .can it handle the single track climbs and dh? or will the 5" fork throw off the geometry

Giant Stp- I rode one at rye and around town its seemed the geometry is pretty neutral but did not get any trail time on one.

Any thoughts opinions for a demanding trail rider looking to get the dirt jump fix cause its damn fun
thanks

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
the imperial is a excellent choice, also look at the santa cruz Chameleon. The two smaller sizes build into amazing dj/trail bikes

Teague

Chimp
May 31, 2002
Olympia WA
If you haven't considered a steel frame I'd recommend taking a look at a Balfa Minuteman. Burly steel frame with horz. dropouts and without the weight of a .243. Pinkbike did an huge article on the frame a while ago.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
I say get the EVIL IMPERIAL it will do all the trail riding you need and can take a huge beating... I did a 12 hr endurance race on mine with no problem SS all the way!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
AH! I thought you wanted a an aluminum frame,
look at the .243SL, or .243 I haven't ridden a the SL, but the .243 is one of the best hardtail frames available for a Freeride/DJ hardtail. Get one

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
nh dude said:
getting really addicted to the dirt jumping and its fun but my 98 stumpjumper is not gonna last the summer the way im learning/casing these jumps.

looking to run it single speed that will handle well with a 5" fork
( 2000 z1 qr20) 26" wheels on the trails and the dirt jumps. climbing with good seatpost extension is also a factor but not huge. I know the evil imperial will do it all but im also interested in the following

Sinister Ridge seems like a freeride hardtail do it all climbs,dh, dj, street

Sinister DNA leans more into djing and street .can it handle the single track climbs and dh? or will the 5" fork throw off the geometry

Giant Stp- I rode one at rye and around town its seemed the geometry is pretty neutral but did not get any trail time on one.

Any thoughts opinions for a demanding trail rider looking to get the dirt jump fix cause its damn fun
thanks

Get the yeti Dj!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man I completly understand the addiction! I was so freaked out over jumping until I got my Yeti Dj. I have been nothing but impressed with that little ripper.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
yeah freaked out is definatly the word
every time is different and everytime is fun
its kinda raining but i still want to go

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
nh dude said:
yeah freaked out is definatly the word
every time is different and everytime is fun
its kinda raining but i still want to go
Need to get my ass out there some weekend, Jack. I didn't even know we had any DJ's in the area and I'd love to learn. I'm sure the Imperial is up to dealing with whatever learning abuse I give it (read: repeated casings considering I can't jump worth a s**t) :D

Are you heading out there next weekend?

spoke80, I'll definitly be bringing my camera as soon as I get out there - I had no idea there were DJ's in my area!

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
no i dont have any pics
stephen were all gonna go to pkill next weekend welcome to come suess is gonna rock marks old ac1
dj directions: just go to jim's house and fork right instead of left follow the road donwn the river. park. walk up through the gate about 100 feet and look down to your right its all legit land too
the 243 is nice and ive been eying one for a while

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
I have owned a couple .243 frames... actually I have one up for sale right now :) . But, they are really nice. The geometry is really comfortable. I like using them with dual 24s however.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
why does a longer stroke fork affect dj geometry in negative way or is it more of a personal preference thing?
can you knock a 2000 z1 down to 4"?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
24s are where it's at for DJ and street.

Mine:

Edit: Forgot - Now has Thompson stem (50mm/0° Rise), Answer 2" rise bars, and back on flats after a extended period on the Spuds.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey. i have a friend who hand builds custom steel dj hardtail's in the back of a mexican resturant. His company is called Simple Bike Co. Granted, this guy is my friend, but his frames are trick! The dirt jumps i've watched him hit on his simple is proof enough for me that his frames are strong.

I say because hes 30, about 280 lbs and jumps 20ft doubles.

if you'd like some more info hit me through a om and i'll put you into contact

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I'd definitly consider an Evil DOC. A Reynolds steel hardtail with nice adjustable dropouts (singlespeed friendly, but still vertical), short chainstays and Evil's customer service for $450. Hard to beat.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I think a DOC or sovereign for steel frame would be perfect for you, or Soul Cycles Loki if your looking for aluminium, they are cheap and very strong.
Here are some pictures of my sovereign and my loki

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I'm thinkin .243 versatility
the doc is nice but i can grab a .243 or and stp for less. a sinister would be trick and core cause there right up the road
i really cant justify doubling up he $$ for a hardtail espicially when a heaset bb cranks and rear hub might be on order also.
went dirt jumping again yesterday and im not longer freaked out by the jumps.
im freaked out by the numerous amount of harmless garden snakes eyeing me up when im on the ground

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
nh dude said:
the doc is nice but i can grab a .243 or and stp for less.
Like, $5 cheaper?

Here's the listing from Unreal Cycles:

Evil Bikes - D.O.C. Evil does steel, take it anywhere, anytime! $445
.243 Racing - FR Frame The famous 4130 northshore frame, 2005 edition! $440
.243 Racing - DH Frame A .243 beefed up for insanity $440
.243 Racing - Sl Frame A .243 slimed down for those that don't need the beef $440

:think:

I don't know how much the STP frame costs...

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
320 ish i suppose.

man there are so many choices out there. Ride your friends bikes make notes of the geometry and spec and go from there honestly. best way.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
all those prices are about 100 - 200 more than what im looking at for either a new or used .243, a new stp, and slightly less than a dna. fillers got a dna and he told me to get that (or buy his balfa minueteman frame for a bill)
so ive got some thinking to do im leaning towards the stp but the dna would be sick
and my truck blew up at 11 20pm something about the sparkplug for the second cylinder blowing the threads out of the whatever he said so im prolly :nuts: gonna hold off for a bit

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Wow, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread!

I have Filler's Minuteman frame down here at the shop right now. The seatpost is frozen in the frame, so that you know. It is very easy to lower your z1, and no matter which bike you get you will need to lower it to 80mm to get proper geometry. My first choice would be a DNA, but if money was tight I'd get an STP frame.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
such a small world
filler oliver and i rode on wednesday then my truck stb
so im prolly gonna grab that frame from filler in a couple weeks when he gets back from nantucket dna is killer nice but i cant argue 100 bucks
how do you drop the z1 to 4 inches shorter springs or is it an internal spacer adjustent
thanks
jack

Unreal

Chimp
Sep 26, 2001
Seattle, WA
If you want to do freeride style trail riding and dirt jumping on the same bike, there will allways be some tradeoffs. But usually a good balance can be found. How tall are you? How agressive?

You can check out the selection of hardtails I carry on the new Unreal website, it's still technically in "testing" but all the good stuff is there:

http://unrealcycles.gotdns.com/catalog.php?cat=Frames