Quantcast

Adidas hematomas

FJ40

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Portland
Hello, I was wondering if anyone simply uses platforms with the adidas hematomas. Are they sticky?
I am able to get a good deal on them but dont use clipless, and was wondering if they would be of any benefit.
Thanks

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
intensified said:
Those hemotomas look killer. Is that plastic near where your big toe goes?if so how well does it protect it?(your toe)?
There is a plastic section that folds over the point of the shoe up to the laces and then on each side of that is hockey skate toe material. I doubt even a lawn mower could damage the toe box of these shoes.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
FJ40 said:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone simply uses platforms with the adidas hematomas. Are they sticky?
I am able to get a good deal on them but dont use clipless, and was wondering if they would be of any benefit.
Thanks
If you can get a good deal I say go for it. Its good to have a shoe for when you might want to go clipless or for some road training ha. But no on the flats as said.

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
intensified said:
Those hemotomas look killer. Is that plastic near where your big toe goes?if so how well does it protect it?(your toe)?
I dislodged a 150lb rock with the top of my left foot (mainly my big toe). I ripped the threads out of my crank and my toe was burning like a mofo but after about 5 mins I was up and walking. I didn't lose the nail, I didn't break the toe.. nothing - I love these shoes.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
My 1995 Answer Accelerators are about to give up the ghost, and are uncomfortable as anything, and this will definitly be my next shoe, but what a horrible and univiting name!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, skate shoes are by far the best for flats. Don't get the 661 Launch shoes though- they're heavy and the sole is super hard so you cant feel the pedal.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Fury said:
I dislodged a 150lb rock with the top of my left foot (mainly my big toe). I ripped the threads out of my crank and my toe was burning like a mofo but after about 5 mins I was up and walking. I didn't lose the nail, I didn't break the toe.. nothing - I love these shoes.
I had the same thing happen yesterday at N*. My toe is a LITTLE brusied, but that's about it. I was on Speed Control pedaling out of a turn and BAM! I love these shoes. The production shoes a armored in the WHOLE toebox not just the big toe like pre-production...

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'd suggest the Intense shoes with Sticky Rubber for flats over skate shoes (especially DC's; they are aweful).

I bought some Hematomas a while back and will start using them soon since my other shoes are falling apart.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
those hematomas have me sold.i had a nasty toe injury and cant wait to get out there with some protection on my dogs. Ive been away from the whole clip in thing for a long time and am considering the mallet bros setup with platforms,anyone got suggestions or other recomendations.That post spared me from the wrath of the sidi avalanches!!thanks.

2inthehole

Chimp
May 21, 2004
central
has anyone noticed that all these cycling shoes have velcrow straps instead of ties like all the special ED kids back in grade skool?...whats with that?...are they trying to make a point that we're "special" people/?? :eviltongu

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fury said:

The really impressive part is that you remembered and had time to weigh the rock.

As far as skateshoes for dh, be very picky. I've broken toes (yes plural) smacking rocks with old school vans. Ouside toe protection cannot be underrated.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Intense shoes can't be found anymore as 5.10 has stopped making them. Oakley shoes look nice but 90 bucks it a tad bit ill stick to my 30 dollar XLT vans.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
2inthehole said:
has anyone noticed that all these cycling shoes have velcrow straps instead of ties like all the special ED kids back in grade skool?...whats with that?...are they trying to make a point that we're "special" people/?? :eviltongu
Velcro straps don't come unlaced and get caught in your chainguide at a NORBA National race after you have a run in with some bushes on the side of the trail, costing you 15 seconds to get everything fixed and, ultimately, the podium.

That is why MTB shoes don't have laces, or have a lace cover strap.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Unfortunately I can't use clips anymore for DH, but I have a pair of Hematoma, heck I bought those like 3-4 years ago...they are awesome. I also use them for XC now and then.

Ya it's unfortunate that Intense and 5.10 don't make those sticky shoes anymore, but the Oakley switchbacks are nice. I have some but haven't ridden with them yet, will soon tho. The sole is flat and pretty grippy!!

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
mobius said:
Intense shoes can't be found anymore as 5.10 has stopped making them. Oakley shoes look nice but 90 bucks it a tad bit ill stick to my 30 dollar XLT vans.
Yeah but you will go through 3 pairs of Vans faster than one pair of Oakleys.

Aug 11, 2003
Can anyone comment on the sizing of the Addidas Hematomas. I've got two pairs of Addidas shoes, both 9 US and will probably go with a 9 in the Hematomas but want to be sure that the sizing is comparable amongst different shoe styles. Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

Simon