Quantcast

adjustement

blank123003

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Germany
Hello form Germany hey I just bought a bike and i am having trouble with the derailers. Does anyone have a good website or info for me that will help me tune em(front and rear) also would them not being tuned properly be the reason that my chain snapped liek a twig while trying to ride a wheally

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
The best way to find tips on derailleur tuning is to type Derailleur Tuning into Google. You'll find a ton of sites there with tips. I'm sure some other people will chime in with exact sites but that should get you started. You might also want to check the manufacturer's site to see if they have any model-specific instructions.

I'm not sure what would cause your chain to break, but it might have just been a defective chain.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Did you buy the bike from a bike shop? Around here when you buy from a shop you can take it back to the shop after a couple of weeks and get a free tune up.

New chains most frequently break because they aren't installed properly. The pins that hold the chain together have to be pressed in, some times the pins aren't pressed in far enough, other times they are pressed in incorrectly and the holes get stretched so the pin can work its way loose, th result is a broken chain either way.

blank123003

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Germany
No I didnt buy it from a shop i got is from the BX on base I dont want to go to and buy on the economy the dollar is to weak compared to the euro. but i do know a shop that will do a tune like that for me but they re booked for a while because and we have a shop on base that will do it but i havent had a chance to call em yet

2gunnz

Monkey
Feb 9, 2007
Ft. Lewis
Your better off learning how to tune your own derailleurs. It comes in really handy. Also depending on what bike you got at the BX chances are it came with a cheap chain (Z chain) and your better off getting a new one.

blank123003

Chimp
Jul 7, 2007
Germany
My bike is an HM Snakehead and so far it is has been good other than that one incident it has held up fine since then. but it was only 350

2gunnz

Monkey
Feb 9, 2007
Ft. Lewis
I just re-read what I wrote and I hope you didnt think I was implying that your bike was cheap and you should get a new one. I was trying to say that the chain was probably a cheap one and thats part of why is snapped.